Need a replacement key for Ford Ranger

4MyEgo

I have a Ford Ranger 2016 and need a replacement key.

I have 2 keys, one is a spare, however the one I usually use to start the engine, came off the housing/casing which also unlocks and locks the doors.

Ford where I purchased the car said the replacement key will cost 5,000 baht as they need to take the chip out of the old housing/casing that unlocks and locks the doors and put it in the new replacement housing/casing for it to work, I said 5,000 baht, I said it ain't made out of gold and declined their quote.

So I went to a street vendor who does keys as I couldn't find a locksmith or anyone with a shop front, and he took a look at it, made a call and said, the same as Ford, but quoted me 1,200 baht.

Would like to hear back from anyone who has had similar experiences and what they did to resolve the problem, or any constructive advice. 

I am leaning towards the street vendor, but am a little sceptical as I am not sure if it will be as good as an original, assuming he will be using a copy ?

Call me paranoid, but this is Thailand.

i have had the dame experience.  I was quoted 4,000 for a new key  from a street stall, as mine no longer operates the central locking (battery is okay).  I think I will just take the hit and go to Toyota for the new one.  Sorry not to be more helpful.  Hopefully someone else on TV will have advice for us both.  

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

i have had the dame experience.  I was quoted 4,000 for a new key  from a street stall, as mine no longer operates the central locking (battery is okay).  I think I will just take the hit and go to Toyota for the new one.  Sorry not to be more helpful.  Hopefully someone else on TV will have advice for us both.  

4,000 from a street stall, WOW.....I can't believe the cost, the key which sits into a little chrome housing at the top, has literally fallen off the part that connects to it, with the key basically falling off, it cannot fit into the socket of the holder again because it is broken at the side of its chrome housing where the key sits, I will have to Google/Youtube this as it's a rip off to pay such extortionate rates when the case and key itself are ok IMO.

Your key has two parts in it, the one is the circuit board for the remote, and the other is the transponder.

The transponder looks something like this, if you open your key you can take it out, without this in the key you can't start the car:

transponder-key-programming.jpg.95aa636eca728e1f65054689c824dd7f.jpg

The cheapest solution would be to find a replacement key on for example https://www.aliexpress.com

Search for "ford key fob" and see if you can find one which uses a circuit board which looks identical to the one you have.

Then you just order this, and when it arrives you have to get the key cut at some shop, costs probably 50THB.

Then you replace the circuit board with your existing circuit board and place the transponder from your old key in the new key.

Now you have a working new key. I assume this is what the shop which wants 1200THB from you will do for you.

In case you can't find a replacement key with the same circuit board design you would have to take the car and the new key to a shop so they can link the new remote control circuit board with your car. No idea how much they would charge for it.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Your key has two parts in it, the one is the circuit board for the remote, and the other is the transponder.

The transponder looks something like this, if you open your key you can take it out, without this in the key you can't start the car:

transponder-key-programming.jpg.95aa636eca728e1f65054689c824dd7f.jpg

The cheapest solution would be to find a replacement key on for example https://www.aliexpress.com

Search for "ford key fob" and see if you can find one which uses a circuit board which looks identical to the one you have.

Then you just order this, and when it arrives you have to get the key cut at some shop, costs probably 50THB.

Then you replace the circuit board with your existing circuit board and place the transponder from your old key in the new key.

Now you have a working new key. I assume this is what the shop which wants 1200THB from you will do for you.

In case you can't find a replacement key with the same circuit board design you would have to take the car and the new key to a shop so they can link the new remote control circuit board with your car. No idea how much they would charge for it.

As you can see in the photos, I would think that it is the little housing that needs changing and all the rest of the original can stay, however if I need to replace the whole thing, then so be it.

IMG_8053[1].jpg

IMG_8054[1].jpg

IMG_8056[1].jpg

Are you even sure that this is broken? Usually this is attached with a small screw, maybe just the screw somehow fell out and you can fix it by replacing the screw.

See this video at about 4:20 to understand how this is attached:

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Are you even sure that this is broken? Usually this is attached with a small screw, maybe just the screw somehow fell out and you can fix it by replacing the screw.

See this video at about 4:20 to understand how this is attached:

Thanks yes mate it is broken, have a look at the last photo, i.e. it should be squared off.

54 minutes ago, cornishcarlos said:

Duct tape.. If that fails, hit it with a hammer...

You'll pay $600 plus for replacement keys in Oz for modern cars.. 1200 baht seems pretty reasonable

I think 1,200 baht is fair considering that if I purchased one off eBay or the like for say $5-$10 bucks, I would then have to add the shipping cost of about $30 and if there were no shipping costs would be up to me to take it apart, reassemble and maybe convert a little with some filing or not, then wait about 21-28 days to receive it and no guarantee it will work or be what I want and the recall would be just too much trouble.

Me thinks will go to the street vendor and pay him when I pick it up and have tried it ????

1 hour ago, steve73 said:

If the fob still works to lock and unlock the doors, just get somchai to weld a "tab" of some sort on the key - even a washer about the size of a 5bt coin would work fine. 

Brilliant idea, I just tried the fob and it works fine, so will ask see if I can find a local with a little soldering iron or something like that and see how we go.

• Like 1

We bought a fancy chipped key for a Honda Civic at our local place, cost 1500bht. Went back for a spare key for the weeee Suzuki, they wanted 4000bht because they didn't carry Suzuki stuff...????....

Just have to be careful with the one we've got...????

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, transam said:

We bought a fancy chipped key for a Honda Civic at our local place, cost 1500bht. Went back for a spare key for the weeee Suzuki, they wanted 4000bht because they didn't carry Suzuki stuff...????....

Just have to be careful with the one we've got...????

Showed a mate of mine the fob and key last night, and as he has been here 20 years more than me, i.e. 23 years told me exactly where I could get another key fob and the guy would do the whole thing for around 1,000 baht, so am going Monday.

Was going to attempt to do a weld on it as steve73 suggested, but as this mate knows his stuff and has welded before, best go see this guy who has a locksmith shop set up at Udon Thani and once I get the key and the price, I will go and see Ford and say guys you have really looked after me for the 3 years while I was under warranty, but 5,000 baht for a replacement fob, using the same chip, board, and key is a bit much, as I got it for x amount of baht at Udon Thani, so I fail to justify how you can charge so much, that said, car is due for its 105,000km's now, looks like I will be taking it to another mechanic from now on, and when upgrading, might go with another company.

I detest it when people try to take advantage and retaliate in the way I do, doesn't matter whether its a hotel, restaurant, airline or whatever, those who want to be greedy, get what they deserve, a loss of business.

37 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

Showed a mate of mine the fob and key last night, and as he has been here 20 years more than me, i.e. 23 years told me exactly where I could get another key fob and the guy would do the whole thing for around 1,000 baht, so am going Monday.

Was going to attempt to do a weld on it as steve73 suggested, but as this mate knows his stuff and has welded before, best go see this guy who has a locksmith shop set up at Udon Thani and once I get the key and the price, I will go and see Ford and say guys you have really looked after me for the 3 years while I was under warranty, but 5,000 baht for a replacement fob, using the same chip, board, and key is a bit much, as I got it for x amount of baht at Udon Thani, so I fail to justify how you can charge so much, that said, car is due for its 105,000km's now, looks like I will be taking it to another mechanic from now on, and when upgrading, might go with another company.

I detest it when people try to take advantage and retaliate in the way I do, doesn't matter whether its a hotel, restaurant, airline or whatever, those who want to be greedy, get what they deserve, a loss of business.

IMO, no point in going to see Ford.

Somchai can't really do anything about the price Ford

Charges for parts.

I'm with you about the warranty though.

My car is still under but will take it somewhere else

when it expires. Dealers world wide overcharge.

My biggest gripe with Ford is that they always try

and upsell. Every time we take it for a service, they always say we should be doing this or that which is

over what the service book says.

I just tell them to service what's in the manual.

I never had that problem with the local Mazda dealership.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Will27 said:

OK - hope it all works out for you..  I spoke with a local metal shop I passed this morning about welding a new tab onto a broken key... He said 100bt, including drilling a hole in it to allow it to fit a split ring (to keep it attached to your fob), so it might be worth you doing that if only as a spare.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Will27 said:

My biggest gripe with Ford is that they always try

and upsell. Every time we take it for a service, they always say we should be doing this or that which is

over what the service book says.

This mob have been good within the 3 years of warranty, although did try to get us to upgrade when I was looking in their sales room while waiting for the service, only natural, but when they said they would give me 450,000 baht on a 3 year old Ranger, I said that's a bit lite, besides the Oz dollar is down and I have my brother-in-law who wants to buy it for 500,000 baht, but I'm not selling.

The Mrs kept getting calls from the saleswoman as I have the car in her name and I have to say, my Mrs can be polite, but push her and she will bit as the saleswoman found out, i.e. you want 1,299,000 baht for the Everest and will "only" come down to 1,269,000 with no insurance or registration thrown in, hmmm I fail to see any incentive to upgrade, although I did notice Chevrolet advertising something for 999,000 baht, although we are not ready to upgrade yet thanks.

The dash in the middle of the front where the radio is was playing up, i.e. screen not coming on, radio playing byself, end of call staying on screen etc etc, so took it to them 3 times and they uploaded something each time, with the last time the mechanic saying they can't replace the part because it's very expensive and head office have to approve it, with me asking my wife to translate to him, that the car is soon expiring from warranty and there is no way I am going to pay for this, with him saying, look you are covered because it has happened within the warranty period, please, see how you go now, and if it happens again, video it and I will send the video to head office.

It happened again, I did video it and sent it to him, he forwarded it to Ford head office, they send their mechanic in to replace the part, 3 hours, happened again the next day, went in, their mechanic came back again and uploaded or changed another part, so let's see how we go now.

Your right about not taking out on some somchai, but my message can certainly be sent back to Ford, idiots !!!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, HAKAPALITA said:

He went to Cockpit First.

And why not....On Monday I am going to our Suzuki dealer for a couple of shocks, when the fitter is doing it Mrs.Trans will ask him where in Ubon we can get a new key for sensible money....One must really use our loaf here...:stoner:

• Like 2

We have a Fiesta with a fairly standard key FOB which unlocks doors, etc. We wanted a spare and the Ford dealer wanted some astronomical price (forgot the exact amount as it was several years ago). When I declined, they offered a key with the transponder but no unlock buttons. It still works, but you must go the the driver's door and turn the keylock to lock or unlock the car. It was 1/3 or 1/4 the price of the full FOB, so we went with that as a spare.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, transam said:

And why not....On Monday I am going to our Suzuki dealer for a couple of shocks, when the fitter is doing it Mrs.Trans will ask him where in Ubon we can get a new key for sensible money....One must really use our loaf here...:stoner:

.Tyre Plus did my Chums Suzi Celerio fronts, its a nice little zoomer, he bought it at Tesco Lotus when they first came out. No problems with it, and hes hard on cars.

Just now, HAKAPALITA said:

.Tyre Plus did my Chums Suzi Celerio fronts, its a nice little zoomer, he bought it at Tesco Lotus when they first came out. No problems with it, and hes hard on cars.

We have one, an auto, I love it...Well it does have go faster wheels and tyres, but it fly's...????

1246688419_Kapookracecar....jpg.36e7515f004422857fd4a75960f0d7d4.jpg

• Like 1

The keys sold by street vendors are cheap Chinese copies. I got my last key from here and coded it myself with Forscan software. You could also just swap the key/ blade section onto the original remote.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-FORD-FOCUS-FIESTA-GALAXY-S-MAX-MONDEO-KA-REMOTE-KEY-FOB-FLIP-NEW-CASE/122915908404?hash=item1c9e5beb34:g:22MAAOSwnOtbFqbz

• Like 2

4 hours ago, steve73 said:

OK - hope it all works out for you..  I spoke with a local metal shop I passed this morning about welding a new tab onto a broken key... He said 100bt, including drilling a hole in it to allow it to fit a split ring (to keep it attached to your fob), so it might be worth you doing that if only as a spare.

Is the Car worth more than the Fix.

On 2/9/2019 at 6:37 PM, stubuzz said:

The keys sold by street vendors are cheap Chinese copies. I got my last key from here and coded it myself with Forscan software. You could also just swap the key/ blade section onto the original remote.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-FORD-FOCUS-FIESTA-GALAXY-S-MAX-MONDEO-KA-REMOTE-KEY-FOB-FLIP-NEW-CASE/122915908404?hash=item1c9e5beb34:g:22MAAOSwnOtbFqbz

I went to this locksmith in Udon Thani today just in case any lives that way and needs a key done.

The locksmith said that as the fob is new generation technology, he would have to order a new fob with a blank key, it will arrive in a week to 10 days, once it arrives he will call me, then take out the chip from my old fob and cut the blank key to match my key and will good to go, all up 1,000 baht and I have to say, I am pleased with that outcome.

Reiterating exactly what Ford said, the fob and new key will cost you about 4,500 add 900 for our guys to reprogram the software.....lol, what the hell for, rip off artists in the making, just cost themselves a customer, no more services there as my warranty is up and will go to someone else who needs the business when service, brakes are required.

Thanks for everyone's input, the locksmith in Udon Thani if you heading in to Udon Thani is one corner back from the traffic lights after Makro on the same side, opposite a football field or sports stadium/field. 

• Like 2

*UPDATE*

Well we got the call 2 days later, the replacement fob has arrived, oh ok, that was quick, e.g. was originally told on Monday that it would take 7-10 days, anyways I said how long will it take to do it, he said 30 minutes to an hour, ok then we will be in tomorrow.

We went on Thursday, gave him the key and sat there with the Mrs, not even 5 minutes later, he said would you like to try it to make sure it works, I said yeh ok, I knew the fob was still working, but unlocked the car with it anyway to make sure the chip in the "new" fob was working, car doors unlocked, then I put the key in the ignition and it started, good as gold I said to myself.

I looked at the "new" fob and said to myself, this looks exactly the same as my old fob, so I flicked the key open, looked at my other fob that I had been using and identical wording was on both, now I know the aftermarket fobs have more writing as I have seen them advertised on the websites.

So I walked back in the shop where the Mrs was sitting and the guy was, and said to my Mrs he is using our old fob, all he has done is replaced the mechanism at the top (previous one broken) and put our key in it from a second hand fob for a Ford.

My wife told him what I said, he bowed his head and said capoom, my wife said, oh ok, how much is that then, he said with a look of a thief on his face, 1,000 baht (original quote) to replace the fob, take out the chip and cut a new key, that is when my wife lost it (&^)%##@#@#^#%^

I said to her honey, he quoted us a 1,000 baht, we have our old fob back (the original) with our original key in it, and it works, job done, Somchai, welcome to Thailand, one hit wonders, I'm good with it and put the 1,000 baht on the counter in front of him and said thanks as I walked away.

I suppose I could be pi$$ed off just on the fact that he didn't provide me with what he was supposed to provide me with as quoted or at least reduced his quote to say 500 baht, but the way I see it in this world, people will try to take advantage of you where they can, he did as the 2nd hand fob that he purchased, probably from a wrecker wouldn't have cost him more than 200 baht I would think, but instead of ordering another fob as he stated he would, he deliberately had a different plan and it worked, he made a lot more than he would have if he ordered a new fob, anyways I have my spare key, it works, I anticipated paying 1,000 baht for the replacement, feel as if I got ripped, but am moving on, after all this is the Land of Smiles. 

The funniest thing is I got paid by a client the other day for some contracting work and my invoice said $400 with no 10% GST (Goods & Services Tax) applied, the client paid the GST when she shouldn't have so I brought it to her attention and requested her BSB & Account number to return the $40 which is around 1,000 baht. What can I say, there are some honest people in this world and there are some conniving people in this world, it is, what it is.

So if your using the locksmith on the main road after Makro and literally opposite the stadium in Udon Thani, take care now :)

What have I learnt from this experience, next time to go to a wrecking yard to see if they have a 2nd hand fob.....life goes on and no point in crying over spilt milk as usual.

Edited by 4MyEgo
  • Like 1