Forum maintenance tonight from approx. 11pm - 1.30am ×

Swimming Pool Water

Alf Witt

I have been in the habit of draining the swimming pool and leaving it empty for fairly long periods when not in use. I have ben told that I should keep water in the pool at all times to avoid "unspecified" problems.

Anyone have any knowledge or views about this or know the reason for such advice? Thanks.

I have been in the habit of draining the swimming pool and leaving it empty for fairly long periods when not in use. I have ben told that I should keep water in the pool at all times to avoid "unspecified" problems.

Anyone have any knowledge or views about this or know the reason for such advice? Thanks.

a bunch of reasons exist why you shouldn't drain your pool. e.g. i lived in Florida where once in a while snowbirds drained their pools to save on chemicals and electricity only to find out after returning that their pool has popped up ½ a meter due to high water table. another reason is that emptying an in-ground pool causes stress on the side walls because pressure is not compensated by tons of water.

a bunch of reasons exist why you shouldn't drain your pool. e.g. i lived in Florida where once in a while snowbirds drained their pools to save on chemicals and electricity only to find out after returning that their pool has popped up ½ a meter due to high water table. another reason is that emptying an in-ground pool causes stress on the side walls because pressure is not compensated by tons of water.

OK, makes sense. Thanks.

OK, makes sense. Thanks.

Allways Leave water in the pool,one of the first inground pools in Isaan was built in Camp crown in 1963, we were very happy to have it, in the big drought in 1965 we used it as drinking water, will never forget the taste :o Nignoy

• 4 weeks later...

Whether you built your pool yourself or had it built for you, if it was constructed to professional specifications which take into account the ground it is built in, there will be no problems emptying it.

It will be eqipeed with hydrostatic valves to stop it popping out of the ground under ground water pressure and the walls should be strong enough not to cave in (it should be just loose backfill beheind them).

Nevertheless, it should not be necessary to drain the pool unless some urgent repairs have to be done. Whatever state the water gets into, with the correct filtering/pumping combination and use of chemicals it can be restored, even if you have to use a floculent.

More concrete (pun) information about pools and their construction in Thailand can be got HERE