Can I Get British Citizenship?

My mother was born in England to English parents, is still a British citizen but lives in the US.  I was born in the US in 1965 and have always wanted British Citizenship, have visited England many times.  Over 30 years ago in high school, I was wrongly convicted for theft, and another time in 1985 a nolo contendre for another high school prank/mascot theft.  Also a few speeding tickets.  Can I get British Citizenship?

Not sure why you're asking about the UK on a Thai forum from the US.

Citizenship is quite complex it depends more on your pedigree than any criminal record you may have in your early years.

You may want to have a look at some of the guidlines issued, at first glance I suspect you're not elegible, but I'll leave it to you to research in depth. https://www.gov.uk/apply-citizenship-british-parent/born-before-1983

So I have a friend, born in the US, but had British parents. 

She got a British passport, and my understanding from her, was that so long as you had one British citizen parent or grandparent  you could claim British citizenship.

Your criminal history is irrelevant to claim to nationality. If you were trying to be an immigrant that would be different. But you are claiming nationality through blood lines

I hold both US and Mexican passports, so duel citizenship isn't a problem

4 hours ago, AlexRich said:

I believe that you could easily get British citizenship, given that your mother is a UK citizen. I don’t think the UK are as obsessed with convictions as the US is. Apply, and find out. 

Again nationality is very different to immigration.

You could be a mass murderer, but if your birth mother or Father was American, or you were born in the US, you're a US citizen.

The OP as far as I can see isn't talking about immigration, he's talking about citizenship, and I'm pretty sure that distinction applies to UK citizenship too

As theoldgit says, you are not currently British. 

However, as you can see from his link, you may be eligible to apply for British citizenship

If you’re not automatically a citizen

You may be eligible to apply for citizenship if either:

• your parents were not married when you were born
  • your mother was British, not your father

Your mother or father must have been a citizen of the United Kingdom and Colonies when you were born. They must also have been one of the following:

• born or adopted in the UK
  • given citizenship after applying for it in their own right (not based on having a British parent)
  • working as a Crown servant when you were born (for example in the diplomatic service, overseas civil service or armed forces)

You must also be of ‘good character’ - read the guidance when you fill in the application form. 

That 'good character' part may disqualify you.

You will see from part 2 of the application form that all convictions must be disclosed; including traffic offences. They're almost certain not to be a problem; but the convictions for theft could be.

Unfortunately, all the application form guidance says (page 5) is

4. the Secretary of State is satisfied that you are of good character.

So it's a case of apply and see. I'm afraid.

Archived