Video: "New Way to Fly!" Thai airport staffer rants at tourist over cabin baggage weight

webfact

7 hours ago, SamT said:

Good on her. I get sick of those airlines which allow people way over the carry on size and weight, meaning if the plane is more than two thirds full there is no space in the overheads. 

Everyone on cut price carriers are generally aware of the carry on luggage weight but are just too cheap to book themselves a checked in bag. 

Unsurprising they're chinese

If you have ever flown in China, or through China or to China from any destination that is attractive to them for Duty Free the situation is very bad and it is not the fault of the people trying to enforce the rules on a group of travelers who feels they are entitled to do whatever they want.

The baggage situation borders on ridiculous on flights from Korea to China and the same from Thailand when Duty Free items take up 95% of the overhead with no room left for other passengers bags and these folks see no problem with doing it this way.

Let alone all the other things they will carry that violates airline policies.

8 hours ago, Thrip said:

Beware, the Land of Smiles can very quickly turn into the Land of Snarls if you don't play ball!

Its ridiculous.. AOT care nothing about a standard. Pass the majority through their lanes.. collect all money they can..

Their is going to be a lot more irate and easily pissed off people in cues for the simple reason they just banned and closed their smoking rooms. They have added cue lines and still have the long Chinese lines just to get baggage and seat numbers. Good thing immigration lines are faster now haha

8 hours ago, samsensam said:

everyone is wrong here; the airline, the staff and the passenger

the airline needs to employ the right kind of people and train them appropriately, and have clear procedures in place to deal with such a situation - it happens all the time.

this situation should be dealt with in a calm and reasonable way. if the passenger refuses to comply remove him from the flight.

if he kicks off have security remove him to an appropriate holding area until he calms down.

I need to correct you on one point:

The airport security staff are not employed/hired or have anything to do with the airline, they are either directly employed by the airport or are a security company sub-contracted to the airport.

But I agree with everything else you commented on.

Exactly right, the staff member could have easily escalated what was a minor problem into something nasty!

She should have done as you said, clearly stated what the passenger had to do, what his options were & then helped him to go check the overweight bag in.

If he refused to cooperate just lead him to a waiting area for him to change his mind before his flight departed!

3 hours ago, K in BKK said:

I fly a lot and Im tired of these arsehats treating the overhead bins like its the tardis, bringing over stuffed bags plus a "personal item" which is often a big shopping bag.

It doesn't matter if your American, Indian, African or Chinese. They all do and its not acceptable or within the term and conditions of the ticket.

The limit is the limit.

Found the German?

10 hours ago, SamT said:

Good on her. I get sick of those airlines which allow people way over the carry on size and weight, meaning if the plane is more than two thirds full there is no space in the overheads. 

Everyone on cut price carriers are generally aware of the carry on luggage weight but are just too cheap to book themselves a checked in bag. 

Unsurprising they're chinese

I am most certainly not!

Well, the majority of passengers on domestic budget carriers are Thais; I am permanently in the air, so to speak. 
You would not believe, what people consider as hand luggage. Kettles, Big C green shopping bags overloaded with goodies for Uncle, Krispy Kreme (pizza size) boxes containing whatever which also could be bought at destinations and more often than not two, three or four pieces with combined 10, 15 or 20 kgs. 
Latter clogs the overhead racks for passengers flying within their allotted limits and I, for one, start moving excess "hand luggage" onto the lap of the sitting passenger and let the crew deal with the issue. In each and every case the crew is hesitant but when reminded, that "everyone can fly" within their limits it remains the crew's job to ensure that this is adhered to.

No airline yet had the idea to screen the hand luggage just after the security check into the waiting area. Excess hand luggage flies at a nominal charge of THB 200/kg and is loaded as baggage. I am pretty sure that all these discussions would stop with  a screeching halt! 

6 hours ago, Gandtee said:

Why I wonder is a thin person allowed only 5-6 kg and a fat person three times his weight allowed the same?. Maybe it's time to weigh passengers.????

i was told that it's down to how much weight is in the overhead lockers.  Mind you this was by Emirates staff in Glasgow, who made me split my 10kg carry on bag into 2 bags (they gave me a cloth bag for this), both of which then went into the same locker!

On 2/12/2019 at 10:22 PM, RichardColeman said:

So, if its in the bag its wrong , but if you take some of it out and shove some it in your pocket its OK ? Mad.

C'mon, I have seen lines of 50-60 Indians in Swampy, each with the same Samsung Television in their basket to check as baggage.............have an Indian friend who told me they do that to sell the duty free TV in the airport in New Delhi for cash, before they go thru customs.  Big Business, but, but, but when Vietnam Airlines first started up, all Airline employees bought perfume, and liquor in foreign airports and brought it back to Saigon, same same, sold it in the duty free area before customs.................But it is comical to listen to Indians bargaining, or negotiating, they have this art down to a science.............???? ???? ???? ???? ???? 

Archived