150 down - 50 up - Only 700 a month!

killerbeez

When I first signed up in Thailand I used my 14.4k modem on the phone line - that was the fastest available modem at that time.

Things changed a lot.

Is life now a lot better with Internet more than 1,000 times faster? Sometimes yes. But sometimes I have my doubt...

"When I where a lad" we only had a 9600 baud modem..and I remember it taking a whole weekend to download a 100Mb file (partly because some bugger kept picking up the phone and dialing pizza..which killed the internet connection so start again :-( )

3 hours ago, johng said:

"When I where a lad" we only had a 9600 baud modem..and I remember it taking a whole weekend to download a 100Mb file (partly because some bugger kept picking up the phone and dialing pizza..which killed the internet connection so start again ???? )

I don't believe you.

At that time there was no such thing as a 100MB file. What would you have downloaded? A movie? Nobody did that at that time.

And where would you have saved it? on your 40MB HDD?

I remember downloading the newest Netscape version. I think it was almost 3MB and it took almost 30 minutes...

I learned HTML coding on a program from AOL... I think it was called Coffee Cup or something like that! Moved on to Front Page and then quickly to Dreamweaver!

I arrived on the 'home' computing scene just as 28.8 modems were giving way to the lightning fast 33.6 modems.

Modem drivers were the hardest to install... maybe even harder than flatbed scanner drivers! (Never the twain shall meet!}

20 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

When I first signed up in Thailand I used my 14.4k modem on the phone line - that was the fastest available modem at that time.

Things changed a lot.

Is life now a lot better with Internet more than 1,000 times faster? Sometimes yes. But sometimes I have my doubt...

Actually first access was to incountry system here rather than direct to internet - special software/browser required and very slow.  But for someone like myself who lived a life of 75 baud Model 28 Teletype it was a step up.  Suspect for most of us 50-150 has little practical meaning - it is f a s t.

On 2/14/2019 at 1:41 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

Things changed a lot.

Remember it well........................:wink:

22 minutes ago, chrisinth said:
On ‎2‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 1:41 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

Things changed a lot.

Remember it well........................:wink:

On 2/14/2019 at 7:51 PM, johng said:

"When I where a lad" we only had a 9600 baud modem..and I remember it taking a whole weekend to download a 100Mb file (partly because some bugger kept picking up the phone and dialing pizza..which killed the internet connection so start again ???? )

There was a time when I bought a Hayes modem in the USA. > $ 200... And two times 4 MB RAM for my 386 cost $ 60 each. 

After school, I walked past an IBM shop. Those ATs and XTs cost more than a family sedan with a star on the hood.

Now, I enjoy a cheapo solution: AIS Marathon SIM @ 600 THB for half a year...

On 2/13/2019 at 10:41 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

Things changed a lot.

haha, yeah.  I used to use netzero and land lines when I worked around the USA.  Slooooooow.  OK for email and text, but as hotmail and other sites started adding ads, graphics, etc.  it quickly got impractible

On 2/15/2019 at 10:26 AM, CharlieH said:

Lets not forget these "speeds" are only within Thailand, go outside (as most do) and watch it drop to stupid levels.

It looks like the final two speed test results the OP posted above are for connections to test servers in Singapore...

However even with that, it would be interesting to see what kind of results the OP gets instead to more distant places like the U.S. or Europe.

TOT has a relatively poor reputation when it comes to its international data speeds.

Another thing that has to be considered when posting and comparing speed test results is whether the machine they're run on is connected via Ethernet or wifi...

Even with an uncrowded 5 Ghz AC wifi connection, at my home, my speedtest results are always substantially less when done on a wifi-connected machine, and substantially faster on a Gigabit Ethernet connected machine. And in both cases, neither of those factors has anything to do with one's ISP performance.

In other words, if you want to check and test for the real maximum speedtest capacity of your ISP's service to your home, do your speed tests with an Ethernet connection, and these days with higher speed ISP plans available, you'd also want to make sure your Ethernet is fully Gigabit capable (router-cabling-PC adapter).

Using an old LAN connection (any LAN element in the entire chain will limit your connection to LAN capacity) will limit the performance of 100+ Mbps ISP connections.

I ran some similar tests earlier this evening with my 3BB 200/100 Mbps fiber service in BKK, with an ethernet connection to my PC...

The results via TestMy.net, while the site that I consider best for accurate speed testing, also can vary considerably from test to test, especially if you're using the automatic test setting, which only maintains the test for a brief period of time.

With higher speed fiber connections here, I like to run the manual 200 MB speed test (instead of the automatic one) because it covers a longer period of testing and gives a better picture of one's actual sustained bandwith.

I ran these three tests back to back with just the 100 MB test to their San Fran server about 7 pm today:

1534328045_EthernetSFServer100MBTest1.jpg.c728f18db3cadf0164040458c58372ba.jpg

1384987651_EthernetSFServer100MBTest2.jpg.afa77d3b803a05ecefb286f4df3b8af7.jpg

77603375_EthernetSFServer100MBTest3.jpg.e9e5f422a3fae491baf37af60654b59b.jpg

But when I switched to the longer 200 MB test, I got this, and if you look at the speed line chart below, you'll see it evens out and becomes more steady over time:

266557079_EthernetSFServer200MB.jpg.a5fab58204ade97734c4afe3f051f487.jpg

Time of day/night also can make a big difference:

When I reran the tests tonight at about midnight using the 200 MB test to their SF server, I got the following two results in back to back tests:

1926743130_2019-02-2123_59_23.jpg.37c57f0983e3b46fc287daee73176cc3.jpg

906144592_2019-02-2200_01_00.jpg.5558cb3274c93e16328aaea920d7e9ea.jpg

From Hat Yai this lunchtime TOT Fiber2U 200/100

8060079505.png

Basic local connection speed

SECou2q6q.cng25wTWT.pngPlTp0lw3j.Uey4KKUM7.png

nk20hwitG.uPw7S_1Mt.pnga_5I2OGJA.oytgln0NU.png

TestMy to Singapore, London, San Francisco and Frankfurt

8060085713.png8060082182.png

8060083869.png8060087481.png

Speedtest to Singapore, London, Seattle and Franfurt.

4 hours ago, killerbeez said:

The real test is how fast can I download something on uTorrent!

These weird (and frankly dubious) online tests mean nothing to me.

It all depends on the needs of a particular user...

I don't do torrents. I do streaming. So figuring out the maximum, multi thread capacity of my internet connection is mostly irrelevant to me.

On the other hand, the single thread measurement done by default by TestMy.net is very relevant to me, because it mirrors what I can expect from single thread video streaming connections.

The SpeedTest site measurements, on the other hand, AFAIK, are by default multi thread measurements.

6 hours ago, killerbeez said:

The real test is how fast can I download something on uTorrent!

These weird (and frankly dubious) online tests mean nothing to me.

Connected via VPN to Singapore I can reliably get speeds of 2 to 5MiB/s using qBittorent. Though I stream most content these days, I use bittorent a lot less.

On 2/22/2019 at 3:16 PM, Stocky said:

I stream most content these days

YouTube (often) and MobDro channels (occasionally) is all I stream.

(Both work just fine.)

I prefer to have everything downloaded and actually backed up and in my possession.

I realize everyone is different, though.

Archived