O/A retirement visa extension possible in the USA?

Hi,

The wife and I got our visas - me O/A retirement, her O multiple entry.  Expires 11/2019.  We were told yesterday by a expat that we can extend our visas back in the US, at the Thai Consulate. And by doing that, will only have to have a letter confirming my pension deposits/amount (along with other required documentation). Is this correct?

If that isn't possible, guessing we'll have to open a Thai account and deposit funds in advance.

Thanking in advance

You can get  new one in the USA, or get an extension of the permission to stay in Thailand. Your OA can give you up to 2 years of stay in Thailand, your wife's Non Imm O Multi, 15 months.

Edited by jacko45k

3 minutes ago, Justin Side said:

You can apply in the US the same as you did last time.

Don't forget that the OA Visa gives you a 2 year stay.

So, the Embassy in the US would not grant a extension, I'd reapply all over again? O/A visa - One year visa and one year extension? 

3 minutes ago, andynphuong said:

So, the Embassy in the US would not grant a extension, I'd reapply all over again? O/A visa - One year visa and one year extension? 

No, reapply, What you get is a one year multi entry visa (the OA). An entry just before it expires, and you are given another year permit to stay. (Not strictly an Extension)

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, andynphuong said:

The visa if used correctly is good for a stay of almost 2years. An exit-re-entry near the end of the visa's validity will give a new one-year permission to stay - no extension is involved or needed.

• Like 1

Thanks. I'm getting my head around the O/A visa requirements, language used, now. 

My wife's "O" multi entry visa. Is it correct that she 'has' to leave the country before/on the 90 day date? or, just do the 90 day report.

Just wanting to make sure we get this correct. 

I already do enough things "wrong", lol.

2 minutes ago, andynphuong said:

Thanks. I'm getting my head around the O/A visa requirements, language used, now. 

My wife's "O" multi entry visa. Is it correct that she 'has' to leave the country before/on the 90 day date? or, just do the 90 day report.

Just wanting to make sure we get this correct. 

I already do enough things "wrong", lol.

She leaves the country. Staying longer than 90days attracts an overstay fine of 500Bht/day

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, andynphuong said:

She has to leave the country to get a new entry every 90 days to get a new 90 day entry.

She could apply for an extension of stay for being your spouse at immigration that would only require 90 day reports to immigration. Her extension would be valid to the date your current one year entry ends.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, andynphuong said:

Her 90 days are up March 11, 2019. So, we can go to immigration before March 11 and apply for her a extension (even though her visa is valid until Nov, 2019)? My current 1 year entry ends Dec 11.

Yes she can apply for an extension that will be valid until December 11th. If you left the country prior to your visa expires you would get a new one year entry and she would have to apply for another extension based upon that entry.

He visas validity means nothing after she has used it for entry to the country. But she would not be able to use it for a new entry after getting the extension since getting new 90 day entry would make it invalid. If she wants to travel she would need a re-entry permit to keep her extension valid.

• Like 1