Amnesty underway for users, possessors of cannabis

webfact

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is not very clear how the amnesty will work.  It will still be illegal to possess and use without a medical licence.  So I guess those who turn themselves in will only be amnestied for past crimes that had gone undetected.  Meanwhile they will have put red flags on their names and addresses.  It doesn't sound like they will get grandfathered in as legal non-medical users but, even if they are, they are still putting themselves on a police watch list.  The last national druggies list ended badly for most of those on it.

2 hours ago, Huckenfell said:

Most never see the end result of starting in this "harmless" drug addiction.  I have worked with a drug addict assistance organisation in a large western city, and can say without doubt 99% of hard drug addicts started with the use of your "harmless" marijuana.  

I am sure 99% of them also have had alcohol before, correlation does not imply causation. 

Marijuana is much better than other drugs alcohol included. 

Your argument about road problems does not make any sense, people should not drive with it and neither should they with alcohol. That some do operate a vehicle with it is a separate issue that should be punished.

3 hours ago, Huckenfell said:

So why do some think that only Marijuana is the only answer to their medial problems when this i available. 

From my experience, marinol isn't as effective at reducing nausea as is good, old weed. My wife had chemo for treating breast cancer a few years ago and she tried marinol seeing as, under the circumstances, she could get it legally and our insurance covered the hefty cost. She suffered terrible nausea and although we had good herb available from friends (many friends) we thought marinol might be better than the herb.

Not so. It did reduce her nausea somewhat but not as well as a single toke of good bud, which did the trick every time. We tossed the rest of the marinol into the garbage.

With all this talk how far are we away from me being able to

choose a strain that is good for my fibromyalgia and being

able to put half a dozen plants in my back garden.

Or will they make you do it through a system that they set up which will make it more expensive and have some mind boggling bureaucracy especially when you have a disease that cant be tested for.

11 hours ago, webfact said:

If these drafts become law, even possessors of cannabis, who are not patients or research units, will be pardoned. 

That's the biggest If ever. And if the draft doesn't become law, the authorities will have details of every weed consumer in their database. Scary!

I am MAD as hell right Now, I don't care if you smoke a pound of POT, pop a lot of pills, try Heron in your HOME !!! What YU going to do when your High,High, high and the User runs OUT.....The druggie has to jump into his CAR and  go gets more !!!  1,000,000's of users,How many Kids, Mothers,and Fathers you going to KILL... The Kill rate will Rise. A eye for an EYE,,You Kill my SON and UUUU Die.....Peace

1 hour ago, chiangrai said:

With all this talk how far are we away from me being able to

choose a strain that is good for my fibromyalgia and being

able to put half a dozen plants in my back garden.

Or will they make you do it through a system that they set up which will make it more expensive and have some mind boggling bureaucracy especially when you have a disease that cant be tested for.

Its all about money. Thats why it was made illegal in the first place and that is why it is being legalized now.  After it becomes officially legal for medical use they wont be able to control it anymore in my opinion.  But it wont matter because they will still make a huge amount of money off it through licensing fees and of course there will be a special tax on it as well.  It should have never been illegal in the first place.  The cotton industry is to blame for it becoming illegal.   Hemp is a much better and cheaper to produce textile than cotton so the cotton industry demonized weed and then the US forced nearly every country in the world to sign a treaty agreeing to make it illegal. If they didnt sign they would miss out on funding from the US. 

5 hours ago, Huckenfell said:

And traffic accidents increase tenfold.  Thais are bad enough on the road now without this kind of assistance.

Which just displays your lack of knowledge of the effects of THC. Typically it creates a degree of paranoia, causing stoners to drive much more slowly. Accidents are likely to decrease if everyone is stoned. No need to rush just chill out.

31 minutes ago, jarataka said:

Its all about money. Thats why it was made illegal in the first place and that is why it is being legalized now.  After it becomes officially legal for medical use they wont be able to control it anymore in my opinion.  But it wont matter because they will still make a huge amount of money off it through licensing fees and of course there will be a special tax on it as well.  It should have never been illegal in the first place.  The cotton industry is to blame for it becoming illegal.   Hemp is a much better and cheaper to produce textile than cotton so the cotton industry demonized weed and then the US forced nearly every country in the world to sign a treaty agreeing to make it illegal. If they didnt sign they would miss out on funding from the US. 

Never mind the cotton industry, check out Randolph Hearst and the story of his newsprint empire. Hemp makes nice paper, and is cheaper but Hearst already produced all the newsprint for the whole of the US and he wasn't going to let any competition even start...

5 hours ago, jarataka said:

The 2 main reasons for growing in a controlled environment is to control the climate and the dark period. It is too hot for current strains of cannabis to grow in Thailand.  25-30c is the required temp range for most strains.  Being able to control the dark period allows for several harvest per year instead of just 1.  Cannabis needs to have 12 hours of complete darkness everynight during the 2-3month flowering phase. Also, yield is increased by supplementing Co2 which is only effective in a sealed grow room. 

Your reply is technically correct, and growing in an indoor controlled environment will produce higher yields and more crops per annum. Four is not unrealistic. However indoor cannabis grow rooms are mostly beneficial for growing skunk with high THC content. Medical marijuana in most cases though does not have high THC - the element that gets us stoned - but rather it is high in CBD which is the product of benefit to MS patients etc.

By using poly-tunnels which can be blacked out it is possible to produce more than one crop a year. It is actually the case that a reduction in light time is only required to induce the plant into flowering stage. Once it has started flowering the light period can be increased again.  Thailand has a natural and fairly unvarying day\light ratio of around 50\50,  so without artificial blackout I suspect only one outdoor crop a year would be possible.

The key issue here is marijuana crop value compared to rice. Many rice farmers are able to produce 2 rice crops\annum. However outdoor rice crops are also extremely vulnerable to weather conditions and crops can often fail. It may the case that even one guaranteed poly-tunnel crop of marijuana will net them more profit per acre of land than rice would.

3 hours ago, jarataka said:

Have you tried different strains of quality bud?

Yeah dude I smoked my first doobie in 1967, supported myself in college with Columbian Red and lived in a legal state where it was all indoor controlled greenhouse grown for 25 years? How bout you?

3 hours ago, jarataka said:

So if you notice that the thai weed gets worse and worse as the months go by its because it is only harvested once a year and then packed up and as the months go by mold starts to grow in it.

Whatever. Its a weed. when I find some moldy stuff Ill let you know, havent seen any in years.

2 hours ago, Shadychris said:

Your reply is technically correct, and growing in an indoor controlled environment will produce higher yields and more crops per annum. Four is not unrealistic. However indoor cannabis grow rooms are mostly beneficial for growing skunk with high THC content. Medical marijuana in most cases though does not have high THC - the element that gets us stoned - but rather it is high in CBD which is the product of benefit to MS patients etc.

By using poly-tunnels which can be blacked out it is possible to produce more than one crop a year. It is actually the case that a reduction in light time is only required to induce the plant into flowering stage. Once it has started flowering the light period can be increased again.  Thailand has a natural and fairly unvarying day\light ratio of around 50\50,  so without artificial blackout I suspect only one outdoor crop a year would be possible.

The key issue here is marijuana crop value compared to rice. Many rice farmers are able to produce 2 rice crops\annum. However outdoor rice crops are also extremely vulnerable to weather conditions and crops can often fail. It may the case that even one guaranteed poly-tunnel crop of marijuana will net them more profit per acre of land than rice would.

The light time is not only required to induce the plant into flowering as if you do not keep the dark cycle consistent and completely dark the plant will either start making seeds or it will beanstalk with tiny flowers.   But that doesnt really matter because Its still way too hot here to grow even the medical strains outdoors as they require lower temps than the strains that have high THC.  So yes you could simulate the dark cycle by cover the plants at the same time everyday and removing the cover every morning but the heat would either kill the plants or they would not produce the quality/yeild needed to make it profitable.

9 hours ago, jarataka said:

The 2 main reasons for growing in a controlled environment is to control the climate and the dark period. It is too hot for current strains of cannabis to grow in Thailand.  25-30c is the required temp range for most strains.  Being able to control the dark period allows for several harvest per year instead of just 1.  Cannabis needs to have 12 hours of complete darkness everynight during the 2-3month flowering phase. Also, yield is increased by supplementing Co2 which is only effective in a sealed grow room. 

Maybe the Thais should subscribe:  https://hightimes.com/grow/ 

55 minutes ago, jarataka said:

they would not produce the quality/yeild needed to make it profitable.

Id personally smoke outdoor Thai weed at $3 a gram, thanks.

I suspect so would many others. 

16 hours ago, webfact said:

Marijuana is believed to be useful for patients battling Parkinson’s, Alzheimer’s, stress, chronic pain, and nausea related to chemotherapy.

.....asthma, glaucoma, nausea unrelated to chemo, passive rather than violent behaviour, less damaging to the user than ice, yaba, alcohol, tobacco etc., etc. The list goes on.:stoner:

p.s. you have 90 days to tell the BIB you're a drug user.:cheesy:

5 hours ago, UASCB500BIKER said:

I am MAD as hell right Now, I don't care if you smoke a pound of POT, pop a lot of pills, try Heron in your HOME !!! What YU going to do when your High,High, high and the User runs OUT.....The druggie has to jump into his CAR and  go gets more !!!  1,000,000's of users,How many Kids, Mothers,and Fathers you going to KILL... The Kill rate will Rise. A eye for an EYE,,You Kill my SON and UUUU Die.....Peace

Oh Dear, me thinks someone needs a toke of good old fashioned Thai Buddha stick.

14 hours ago, AlaskaDave said:

I hope many Thai farmers who can't make much money selling rice turn to marijuana cultivation.  The more available it is in general, the faster the Thai government will eliminate all restrictions on the use of this beneficial herb. Over here, I often take pills to help me sleep — something I use marijuana for in my home state of Alaska where it is totally legal.  This reversal of position by the authorities is surprising, enlightened and most welcome. If only my own federal government was as similarly enlightened.

It looks like lots of US states will be legalizing pot this year and next.  If the US states finally equal 35 they can legalize pot backwards thru a constitutional amendment.  I saw in a survey that less than 5% of the geezers in the Senate thought it should be legal.  I don't know if they have surveyed the house but it has gotten a lot of younger more knowledgeable reps this last cycle of elections.  The feds are going to lag behind the states and behind the general population in the US.  Might be because so many federal law enforcement agencies get huge funds yet to combat marijuana.  The pols hate to upset their real constituents. 

4 hours ago, Shadychris said:

1.  It is apparent that you have never been to a medical marijuana dispensary.  It is very rare to ever find any high CBD strains such as Charlottes Web.

2.  The light cycle isn’t just about hours of dark vs light.  It is also about the spectrum which is why you use metal halide bulbs for the vegetative cycle and high pressure sodium for flowering.

3.  I haven’t seen “skunk” since the 80s.  That was but one strain.  Now there are hundreds.

6 hours ago, Airalee said:

1.  It is apparent that you have never been to a medical marijuana dispensary.  It is very rare to ever find any high CBD strains such as Charlottes Web.

2.  The light cycle isn’t just about hours of dark vs light.  It is also about the spectrum which is why you use metal halide bulbs for the vegetative cycle and high pressure sodium for flowering.

3.  I haven’t seen “skunk” since the 80s.  That was but one strain.  Now there are hundreds.

1: Correct - I have fortunately never had need to go to a medical marijuana dispensary -very fortunate as I have never lived in a country where such a facility exists yet. However all the information I seem to find points to medical marijuana having a higher CBD than THC ratio. Just a couple of such examples:

https://www.greenrelief.ca/blog/medical-marijuana-get-me-high/

https://docmj.com/2017/06/05/difference-medical-recreational-marijuana/

Of course maybe the info in such sites is  BS, and you are right in inferring that medical marijuana is higher in THC than CBD.

2: The light 'cycle' is everything about hours of dark vs light, and nothing at all to do with light spectrum. The clue is in the word 'cycle'.

Metal Halide (blue) and Sodium (red) are, as you say, the best choice of bulbs to use for artificial indoor light solutions wrt the growing and flowering stages.

In an outdoor situation though, sunlight has the full spectrum of wavelengths that a plant requires to complete it's life cycle. That spectrum is not changed by the light\dark cycle.

3: I use the word skunk as a generic term for any strain of weed, as do a lot of people I know. A bit like everyone calls clear sticky tape Sellotape ????

14 hours ago, mrfill said:

Never mind the cotton industry, check out Randolph Hearst and the story of his newsprint empire. Hemp makes nice paper, and is cheaper but Hearst already produced all the newsprint for the whole of the US and he wasn't going to let any competition even start...

The Emperor Wears No Clothes is the name of the book that tells this particular story, as well as the story of the history of marijuana. Great book.

9 hours ago, dontoearth said:

It looks like lots of US states will be legalizing pot this year and next.  If the US states finally equal 35 they can legalize pot backwards thru a constitutional amendment.  I saw in a survey that less than 5% of the geezers in the Senate thought it should be legal.  I don't know if they have surveyed the house but it has gotten a lot of younger more knowledgeable reps this last cycle of elections.  The feds are going to lag behind the states and behind the general population in the US.  Might be because so many federal law enforcement agencies get huge funds yet to combat marijuana.  The pols hate to upset their real constituents. 

Big Pharma and Big Ag are the money behind the lobbying efforts to keep marijuana illegal, as they have been since the 1930s when they realized the threat cheaply grown marijuana posed and still poses to their chemical empires. DuPont is at the top of that list.

Archived