Cleaning up after buying a used notebook

Agusts

So if I buy a used Windows 10 Home edition notebook, what is the best way to clean it up and more importantly make sure it has no malware,  virus or dodgy programs...

My main concern would be a low level key-logger that sends back all my passwords to it's creator via the internet ! Is there an easy way to check if any illegal ET calling home that shouldn't be... ? lol

Would a free Avast or AVG virus scan + maybe free MalwareByte scan be sufficient...? How about a win 10 reset etc. ? Though I don't want to remove any driver or program came with it originally...

1 hour ago, shady86 said:

Just use the windows 10 reset feature. It works like charm.

Or go old school and format and do a complete re-install with DVD/USB thumb.

Regardless of whatever method you choose, to be sure of a safe system, get rid of everything software related that came with a used computer

Well, I have to see if re-install partition is there,  but I doubt I get windows 10 product key with the sale, and not sure if that re-install requires it, although most notebooks are OEM with operating system, it maybe built-in,  so using a re-install partition may not need product key, but a full format and re-install from USB would want it (no DVD on these small ones).

This is all a bit risky though,  might just go with Win 10 reset and delete all files and apps etc... 

Unless something dodgy is put on MBR or root sector, then it's hard to detect. Any free tool that check and detects those...!? 

30 minutes ago, Agusts said:

Well, I have to see if re-install partition is there,  but I doubt I get windows 10 product key with the sale, and not sure if that re-install requires it, although most notebooks are OEM with operating system, it maybe built-in,  so using a re-install partition may not need product key, but a full format and re-install from USB would want it (no DVD on these small ones).

If W10 is already installed and activated, the machine will retain the activation. As long as it is the same version of the operating system being installed.

Type "winver" (without the ") into search to see what version is installed and go to Control Panel\System to see if it is activated.

If you need to do a fresh install from DVD/USB, the best way to download the correct version is to use the W10 Media Creation Tool and download to your machine before formatting. You can install straight from here or create a bootable USB drive to install later. If installing straight away, select the option to 'keep nothing'. Link for the creation tool is:

https://www.microsoft.com/th-th/software-download/windows10 

Using this method you definitely won't need a product key. 

47 minutes ago, Agusts said:

so using a re-install partition may not need product key, but

Certainly not needed.

By far the best and easiest way to get the computer back to the way it was out of box.

Fresh windows, drivers installed, old stuff gone. And legit with key preinstalled.

Nothing to lose, check the model number and key press needed.

Then if not successful use the other more difficult and time consuming methods.

4 hours ago, killerbeez said:

Better still, download and install the 'registered' Windows 7 which is still easily available... then go to the Microsoft site and upgrade to Windows 10 PRO  for free. Completely legit and the shady guys at Redmond don't mind a bit!

I think the free upgrade from Windows 7 to 10 was for a limited time and no longer available...!?

2 hours ago, Agusts said:

I think the free upgrade from Windows 7 to 10 was for a limited time and no longer available...!?

Actually it still works. Not from the computer updates but by downloading the Windows 10 Creator App and opted for "Upgrade this PC now". I upgraded two laptops today from Win 7 Pro to Win 10 Pro - no problems. Indicates digital licence activated.

15 hours ago, Agusts said:

It still works. So long as the servers see the Windows 7 Ultimate/Pro/Home version as 'registered' you can easily and legally upgrade to the latest version of Windows 10. You may be thinking of the "Assistive Technologies" version of the free upgrade which has expired and is no longer available.

Yes, thanks. I also read on the web that you can just enter a valid Windows 7/8/8.1 product key for Windows 10 installation and it accepts it...!

I think Microsoft now makes most of it's money from cooperates and cloud and doesn't care much about us mortals...lol 

9 hours ago, killerbeez said:

Preferably NVMe. Much faster than a regular SATA 6GB SSD drive.

StorageReview-Toshiba-XG5.jpg

Erm....no. 

The laptop will need to be compatible with such a drive. Even if it has a slot for an M.2 drive, that won't necessarily mean that it is compatible with NVMe.

Since they are writing about 'used', the likelihood is small.

Let's see if they actually come up with a model number of a likely purchase.

Not my subject.

I'm guessing the OP isn't looking for the highest specs / speciality notebook, if he was I assume he would buy new.

So what's the difference in price between a good new machine and a good quality second hand, probably not too old so that there's a lot of compatibility plus costs of upgrades e.g. SSD?

I'd steer clear of used notebooks. They're unwanted, usually for a reason.

Buy new and if possible, upgrade the memory... and of course, stick in an SSD.

A 480GB HikVision SSD is great and less than 2,000 baht.

(Notebooks come with skimpy amounts of memory because Microsoft sells the retailers a cut-price license version of Windows.)

The Aspire E 15 offers excellent bang for your baht.

You can also add another 4gbs of memory and replace the HDD with an SSD.

In fact, if you're not using the CDRom player, you can put the 1TB HDD in a caddy that fits in that slot!

4 hours ago, killerbeez said:

I'd steer clear of used notebooks. They're unwanted, usually for a reason.

Buy new and if possible, upgrade the memory... and of course, stick in an SSD.

A 480GB HikVision SSD is great and less than 2,000 baht.

(Notebooks come with skimpy amounts of memory because Microsoft sells the retailers a cut-price license version of Windows.)

The Aspire E 15 offers excellent bang for your baht.

You can also add another 4gbs of memory and replace the HDD with an SSD.

In fact, if you're not using the CDRom player, you can put the 1TB HDD in a caddy that fits in that slot!

Your post contains some rather dodgy statements

The used notebook statement is really nonsense.

But then you go a step further by recommending a low quality SSD; https://ssd.userbenchmark.com/SpeedTest/540039/HS-SSD-C100

As if you are suggesting that something new, cheap and nasty is better than high quality second user.

If 480 GB of storage was needed, I would most certainly pay the 350 baht extra for a Crucial MX500; https://www.invadeit.co.th/product/solid-state-drives-ssd/crucial/mx500-500gb-2-5inch-internal-ssd-ct500mx500ssd1-p034804/ that to go with some cheap and nasty no-name SSD.

https://ssd.userbenchmark.com/SpeedTest/418385/CT500MX500SSD1

Well, my criteria were FHD 14" screen, light and at least 4GB RAM, really wanted portable one rather than a powerhouse, and , more importantly,  not expensive... 

I looked at used notebooks and it was hard to find this type, they are some modern ones that have come out last year or two, use mobile Intel Atom processors with low power consumption,  no fan because they don't get hot, okay , they are not running fast, hence useful for light use only, these are like:

Asus E406MA

Lenovo SP130

Acer Swift 1 SF114

All have new mobile Intel N2000  processor I went with the last one Acer, as it has IPS screen and 802.1ac WiFi that others don't,  I may be able to increase the 4GB RAM if needed and their 128GB SSD, probably not right away...

I found a below price one on Lazada for pay on delivery, I just hope there is not something dodgy about it and I need to check it properly on arrival - if I can...!

6 minutes ago, Agusts said:

Well, my criteria were FHD 14" screen, light and at least 4GB RAM, really wanted portable one rather than a powerhouse, and , more importantly,  not expensive... 

I looked at used notebooks and it was hard to find this type, they are some modern ones that have come out last year or two, use mobile Intel Atom processors with low power consumption,  no fan because they don't get hot, okay , they are not running fast, hence useful for light use only, these are like:

Asus E406MA

Lenovo SP130

Acer Swift 1 SF114

All have new mobile Intel N2000  processor I went with the last one Acer, as it has IPS screen and 802.1ac WiFi that others don't,  I may be able to increase the 4GB RAM if needed and their 128GB SSD, probably not right away...

I found a below price one on Lazada for pay on delivery, I just hope there is not something dodgy about it and I need to check it properly on arrival - if I can...!

You bought something with a Celeron CPU from 2013??

1 hour ago, KneeDeep said:

You bought something with a Celeron CPU from 2013??

I think it's based on Celeron technology,  but these are the latest low powered Intel processors...

My bad,  the correct name is Intel Pentium Silver N5000, quad-core...

Here is the specs:

https://www.acer.com/ac/en/GB/content/model/NX.GZGEK.001

This is really like a tablet in a notebook shell,  what I need...

Archived