Good Quality Tailors In Bangkok

1Lucky

I'm wanting to get some very good tailor made shirts. I don't want cheap and cheerful but good executive quality. That said I don't want to pay through the nose either (maybe Baht 2000 per shirt would be about what I'm thinking)?

If anyone has any recommendations they would be much appreciated.

Many thanks

Lucky

Lucky, just do a search on the forum, the subject has been more than discussed, especially in the last 2 weeks.

Would that be the thread that starts off with lots of recommendations around Nana Plaza and Banglamphu for suit makers, then appears to move onto more positive ground with some decent sounding recommendations in more promising areas before those same recommendations are flatly contradicted by later posters and others who say all suits are made by the same 1-3 sweat shops anyway where-ever you want them?

If it is you may pick up from this that I didn't find it massively helpful hence this posting which you will see was directed at shirts rather than suits and I had just hoped to get a quick helpful answer the like of which a number of very kind posters have given me previously on these boards - nevermind.

Lucky

Then try the shops in Siam Paragon, they have Armani and Zegna, a little pricy, but you should be ok if you need just the shirts. Good luck!

I'm looking for tailor made - not off the peg - hence the question in the first place.

Maybe I'll just take up the suggestion in the earlier thread you referred me to and look for any shops with the signpost 'Bangkok's Best Taylor (sic) 2007'.

Doza - thanks for the more helpful suggestion.

Lucky

You wanted tailor suggestions. These are fairly close to one another:

Rajas in soi 4 as mentioned, Rajawongse on the main road of soi 4 as well, and Crown in soi 8.

Go in, browse, choose what you like dont like, price structure etc etc, then make your pick. You wanted suggestions, i gave you three fairly close to one another for you to choose from.

• 5 weeks later...

Lucky I use Rajawongse near Nana. 1000 baht for good quality shirts and 2000 for good quality pants. Don't be put off by the tailors on the touristy area's, there are good and bad everywhere. You just gotta give it a try if its no good you've done your dough, if good then recomend and keep going back.

Just had some shirts and a very pukka (if I say so myself) Tuxedo made, place called Pierre Tailors opposite to the Asia Hotel in Ratchathewi, not Indian but Thai Tailors, highly reccomended, shirts were 1500 baht and the tux was 8000, not the cheapest I know but Im very happy

Would that be the thread that starts off with lots of recommendations around Nana Plaza and Banglamphu for suit makers, then appears to move onto more positive ground with some decent sounding recommendations in more promising areas before those same recommendations are flatly contradicted by later posters and others who say all suits are made by the same 1-3 sweat shops anyway where-ever you want them?

So, is it not helpful to know, regardless of who takes your measure the tailors differ only by how much they charge you? The shirts come from the same hangar in the outskirts.

Just check if any of them have any tailor shop in the back. Maybe 1 sawing machine for alterations and nothing else.

Now, on a positive side, this is where I go for good quality shirts, even have their card and 15% discount.

http://www.brooksbrothers.com

They are 89US$ each. Ask Thai tailors to copy them, if they could. The price they would charge you could easily be 200$.

That's what they told me - my Brooks Brothers suit would cost 1200$ to copy (while the original was 600$).

Edited by think_too_mut

In my experience you get for what you pay.....cheap tailor sometimes means cheap and bad quality materials. Check materials always and ask if he has better (the price will change with those materials under the table).

In my experience you get for what you pay.....cheap tailor sometimes means cheap and bad quality materials. Check materials always and ask if he has better (the price will change with those materials under the table).

So true, even though they are made in sweatshops somewhere else, the material comes from the tailor. Poor quality material=poor quality shirt or duds, or jacket or what ever.

There is a very good chinese tailor at Silom between Soi 2 and Soi 2/1 called Percy's. Best selection of fabrics and also workmanship. See his previous guest lists displayed and you will undertsand what i mean. Stay away from all Indian Tailors, Real crooks. Bad workmanship, inferior fabrics, they save on linnings, etc. Those who do not know a thing about workmanship or appreciate fine fabrics will go to Indain Tailors because the cost of packages they offer seem cheap. Trust me as I have been in the fashion industry before and also know lots of these Indian tailors myself.

• 6 months later...

After checking out a lot of tailors in Bangkok I would recommend Enzarny. They are right across the Street from Shangri-La Hotel (The exit of the more upscale part of the hotel, on the way to the skytrain station). Great fabrics, and definitely no "89 Dollars, 5 shirts and a lot of polyester included" crap. I recommended the shop (ask for Mr. Aek) to some friends and business associates of mine, who were also very happy with their suits. They (the friends and associates) are working for some top corporations from Germany, an environment where people know what a good suit and good fabrics should look like. And no, I do NOT get any commissions for this recommendation. Warning: Enzarny is not the cheapest store in town, but as some forum members pointed out: You get what you pay for. Also: The shop and its decoration look very nice and stylish, compared to some abominations I have seen (especially around sukhumvit). There is another shop that made (optically) a good impression: The one in the lobby of the Lebua (State Tower) hotel, although it goes by the rather bizarre name of "World of Johnny).

Greetings from the Monsterastronaut!

Rajawongse are my tailor as well. Jesse and Victor are always helpful and friendly - you may pay a bit more than other tailors but your quality and service are second to none. BFD's already linked the website, if you're walking it's right next to the Landmark Hotel, about 200 meters from BTS Nana.

I get my shirts made by Infini on the second (or is it third) floor of Thaniya Plaza. Access is easy from Sala Daeng and he is a Thai Master tailor. No 24 hr 6 shirts 2 suits and a paid of socks offer... just good tailoring, good range of fabrics and personal service....and not a turban in sight!!

I've not had a suit made by him, but have 6 shirts which are wonderful and another 4 which will be ready on the 24th. I am hoping to move to BKK shortly and will have some trousers made....I'm not a jacket/suit person really.

• 6 months later...

I can truly recommend ENZARNY as a Top Class tailor.

Just get 3 suits, a tux and 12 shirts done as well as 3 ladies evening dresses.

Absolute quality work and service. Exellent fabric selection. (check the 2nd floor)

Prices and very reasonable but certainly not on the cheap side.

Great value for money.

Works mainly for European and US customers.

Consider 16-18k for a suit

http://www.enzarny.com/ENG/index.html

The shop is located near the Oriental hotel.

From the Silom intersection turn right into Charoenkrung Road. After 200mtr turn left into Soi 38.

After 50 mtr on the right hand side.

Ask for Khun Tanit.

Tailor Enzarny

10, 12 Soi Charoenkrung 38

Charoenkrung Rd.

Bangrak, Bangkok 10500

Thailand

T. (0) 2630 8212-3

F. (0) 2237 1108

After checking out a lot of tailors in Bangkok I would recommend Enzarny. They are right across the Street from Shangri-La Hotel (The exit of the more upscale part of the hotel, on the way to the skytrain station). Great fabrics, and definitely no "89 Dollars, 5 shirts and a lot of polyester included" crap. I recommended the shop (ask for Mr. Aek) to some friends and business associates of mine, who were also very happy with their suits. They (the friends and associates) are working for some top corporations from Germany, an environment where people know what a good suit and good fabrics should look like. And no, I do NOT get any commissions for this recommendation. Warning: Enzarny is not the cheapest store in town, but as some forum members pointed out: You get what you pay for. Also: The shop and its decoration look very nice and stylish, compared to some abominations I have seen (especially around sukhumvit). There is another shop that made (optically) a good impression: The one in the lobby of the Lebua (State Tower) hotel, although it goes by the rather bizarre name of "World of Johnny).

Greetings from the Monsterastronaut!

Couple issues some people may not understand when purchasing made to order clothes in Thailand, although several people have mentioned key items;

- I don't stay in Bangkok so I can't judge the quality but in Phuket, no one can make a decent shirt. I have my shirts made to western quality standards, including discreet monogramming, in Hong Kong. The cost runs $40-$50 USD or 1200 - 1600 baht. The difference is that the shirts hold up. No disintegrating collars, no ill fitting lopsided buttons. I use Maxwell's Clothiers and he has an informative website. I'd suggest that even if you purchase in Thailand you use the website as a reference for quality control.

- The lower cost suits under 10,000bht will often have paper under lining instead of wool. After a few cleanings, the suit is finished.

- I have purchased cheap suits at the 12-15,00baht level and they have held up. However, between the dog visitors, cat and my amazing ability to splash bleach and staining disinfectants on everything, expensive clothes are foolhardy.

- The tailors that offer to use "armani" or "gucci" linings often are doing that to compensate for the lack of technical skills. Farangs get mesmerized by the flash and forget that cutting and stitching is a skill. A good suit that FITS and HANGS WELL, takes time. As we know, time is money.

- One person noted in TV that these tailors have a hard time of getting jacket lengths right. That 1/2 inch makes a world of difference. That is the biggest fault with Thai suits. When you go for your 2nd and 3rd fit bring someone along to check your backside. Ideally it should be a woman with common sense. Don't ask me why, but women seem have a better eye for these things.

- There are little hints that can tip you off as to the tailor's qality levels. Ask how many fits he uses. Inquire as to the buttons. A guy using cheap plastic that break after 1 or 2 cleanings doesn't really care about his product. A tailor that cannot monogram shirts bears watching as a monogram requires a sewer with some experience and skill.

- Watch the tailor as he measures. If he takes his time, you may be in good hands. If the guy is very quick, you're in for trouble. A good tailor will discreetly suggest certain styles. For example, I have a lot of junk in the trunk, so pleats are this tub of goo's best friend in preventing an embarrassing rip when I bend.

- Inquire as to where the fabric is purchased. I love how some tailors say, oh it's all english sourced and then pull out a roll and foreget to hide the made in china or pakistan indicators.

-Most important of all, stick to those tailors that people can vouch for and avoid any shop that has the slimey touts out front looking to grab customers. A good tailor doesn't need touts.

And if you need reminding, no woman can resist a well dressed charming gent, especially at 2 am on Bangla Rd., in patong. :o

• 2 weeks later...
I'm wanting to get some very good tailor made shirts. I don't want cheap and cheerful but good executive quality. That said I don't want to pay through the nose either (maybe Baht 2000 per shirt would be about what I'm thinking)?

If anyone has any recommendations they would be much appreciated.

Many thanks

Lucky

2000฿ is about $62.00 US (at 32฿ to the $). You can buy an excellent quality dress shirt at one of the finer department stores for that. Why risk a tailor shop at all. Look around for something you like, try it on in the fitting room and if it doesn't suit you try another department store, but you're bound to find something you like for that price.

• 6 months later...
^^ Every had a suit made by him? There's also another Tailor on the same floor, I think, on the opposite side of the building, who does work for a number of politicos in Thailand, but can't recall the name now.

Regards

You guys are ruining the Thai experience. If you want to pay US$60 for a shirt, buy it in the US where it will cost US$40. Honestly, it's beyond me why people go to Thailand, and dupe themselves into paying $800 for a suit that they could get back home or "online" for $300.

I spent a good portion of my Thai trip trapsing around Chaing Mai. I saw the usual hords of middle eastern "tailors" all attempting to usher me into their dusty shops. If you held up a photo of a sewing machine to anyone of these guys, they'd be baffled as to what exactly it was. These guys have the worst catalogs of cookie-cutter outfits - positively nothing interesting. They farm the work out the back door to some factory on the edge of town for peanuts and reap a 500% commission.

So my trouble in Chaing Mai was that I wanted to find the guy who made "actually" made the suits, I had two major obstacles 1.) I did not know that in Thai culture if one does not know the answer, one simply makes one up - this lead to goose chase after goose chase 2.) The word for tailor in translation books isn't a good translation, people really don't get that you're talking about the one who "actually" sews.

I can tell you that the real tailors do exist. In Chaing Mai there is Chok Dee tailor, I had two suits made for about $6,000 baht total with extra features. I picked the materials out in China Town, much better than anything in the middle eastern shops. I had crazy shirts made whose patterns were based on worn out shirts I brought with me. It's well worth it to search for the actual person who makes clothes. You will save yourself at least 50-75%.

Fair warning though, bring your own buttons from the US/Eur, because the quality and selectoin of the Thai buttons are horrible, particularly with snap-buttons (they rarely see these). Also, be extremely precise with your instructions to the tailor, don't leave anything up to guess work. You don't want a shirt pocket? Tell him you don't want a shirt pocket anywhere. You want one shirt longer, tell him you only want "this one" shirt longer and no other.

Good luck!

• 1 year later...

I am surely recommending Romeo and Juliet Tailor's House

They make great sits, shirts, pants and more in different fabrics. They have had over millions of satisfied customers I know that the people there are not pushy like the staff in the other tailor shops their address is:

118 RATCHAPRAROB ROAD

NEAR INDRA HOTEL (PRATUNAM)

BANGKOK THAILAND 10400