What is a reasonable price for a usable small bike up-country? And where to buy it?

OneMoreFarang

19 minutes ago, Sealbash said:

I am curious why you have the above opinion?

And the wrong one at that.

Ever see 15 - 20 - 25 year old Thai cars and trucks without a scratch, do not pour black or blue smoke, interior as new ?

I have seen many. Bought 2 myself. Most people here - after their house - the car or truck is their biggest investment, so they take care of it.

But posters here seem to have this skewed idea that they do not care about maintenance.

Same as everywhere in the world - some do, some don't.

Just Thai Bashing - Again and Again.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Thanks for all the positive feedback.

If they buy i.e. a used Wave for 20k from a dealer, would that include any warranty, i.e. for 6 month or something like that?

Or are these bikes so robust that basically if they work they work and there are not many hidden problems?

Come on, what's really holding you back?  Listen to the voice in your head. 

It seems it's necessary in a TV forum to explain some things to some people.

I know the family since many years. And normally I am not the big spender who gives them regularly a lot of money. Otherwise they would have already a new bike, new car, and whatever.

They had a bike but it was old and at some stage too bad to repair.

As far as I know they often buy something in the shop next door in a small village. The shop buys it in the market and puts some profit on top - it's a business and I understand this.

Having a motorcycle would make them more independent from the neighbor shop, etc. Just the same as for many of us who like the convenience of using a bike for local shopping trips.

Until now nobody asked me to buy a bike and nobody asked me to pay for such a bike. But because I know it would be convenient for them I think about helping them - I think once every couple of years that acceptable. ????

My idea is that if they want to buy a bike then I will pay part of it, sure not all of it. So they have to think if they really want that and if they want to spend their own money on it. Because if they don't spend any money I won't spend any money.

So if they tell me i.e. they can get neighbor's two year old Wave for 17k then I know that sounds acceptable. If they tell me it's 30k for a 3 year old bike I know it's too much. And if they tell me they can get this great bike for 10k I also know now that likely that won't be good for long and there will be extra costs.

This forum entry was to get an idea about cost and models. And now I have an idea about cost and models. Thank you.

And believe me I will make sure I won't waste all my money, don't worry. ???? 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Based on experience. I've bought a scooter and a car from farang owners, both still going strong.

I bought a Mercedes from an Asian. Had water in the radiator instead of coolant, 91 octane in the tank instead of 95. Big mistake on my part, was pleased to get shot of it.

IMHO maintenance is optional with many Thais. Not a priority.

"pleased to get shot of it"

Surely not to Farang looking for a well cared for and serviced motor from a fellow Farang?

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, 55Jay said:

Come on, what's really holding you back?  Listen to the voice in your head. 

My voice in my head tells me to remember all the things which can get expensive on big bikes and which are not obvious from the beginning. A couple of thousand THB for "little" parts here and there are often not easy to spot.

But it seems parts for small bikes are a lot cheaper. I only had one small bike which I bought new and which has now about 12k. I didn't buy much for that bike so I am not really aware of small bike spare part prices in Thailand.

Are you so worried about someone spending a few baht to help out that you need to post, its pennies...............

Bet your going to be struggling with the next visa?

Please dont get angry when the truth hurts [emoji846] 

If his name is to do with the place he's from he wouldn't buy one, he'd steal it.

[emoji4]

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, 473geo said:

"pleased to get shot of it"

Surely not to Farang looking for a well cared for and serviced motor from a fellow Farang?

A Thai bought it. He's already racked up a fine of 500 baht for doing 132kph in a 90 zone.

Something else I learned the hard way. Servicing costs on a Merc are about three times that of "normal" cars.

2 hours ago, canthai55 said:

And the wrong one at that.

Ever see 15 - 20 - 25 year old Thai cars and trucks without a scratch, do not pour black or blue smoke, interior as new ?

I have seen many. Bought 2 myself. Most people here - after their house - the car or truck is their biggest investment, so they take care of it.

But posters here seem to have this skewed idea that they do not care about maintenance.

Same as everywhere in the world - some do, some don't.

Just Thai Bashing - Again and Again.

I don't see too many of them. More of the other variety, dings all over. You may be right - some do look after their cars.

I like Thailand and Thais. That doesn't mean I should put them on a pedestal. They have their pluses and minuses. That's not Thai-bashing, just saying it like it is.

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I don't see too many of them. More of the other variety, dings all over. You may be right - some do look after their cars.

I like Thailand and Thais. That doesn't mean I should put them on a pedestal. They have their pluses and minuses. That's not Thai-bashing, just saying it like it is.

Well said

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, steven100 said:

I should have worded my comment better .... I was having a go at the other poster about his comments and questions .... I wasn't being bad at the OP.  sorry .....

My apologies sir !

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Mavideol said:

agree... a 3-4 years old Click or Wave in good condition it's around 20K, just sold mine, 3.5 years old Click 27K Kms and sold within a week of posting for 22K recently changed the auto start battery

Same here, also threw in a oil-change,  new filter on top of that, good as new, shop-maintained,always parked inside ( the wife insisted), 28K, 5 years old, 30,000 baht. Was gone in 5 minutes....

Buyer said: farang always take good care motocy, is very good buy!

14 minutes ago, johng said:

Possibly a misprint there    click 125cc maybe ???    if it is a 250cc then its been modified.

14 minutes ago, johng said:

Possibly a misprint there    click 125cc maybe ???    if it is a 250cc then its been modified.

Yes, definitely a typo. 125cc it is. Well spotted. ????

Go to Facebook, copy this and paste it into the search box 'มอเตอร์ไซค์มือสอง'

There will be many 2nd hand motorbike shops. Stick to those with many photos of them delivering bikes to customers.

With your requirements, a bike of 15k-20k would be good enough to be used for a year or 2 without major repairs.

Bought my Wave 125 for 20k about 10yrs ago. Apart from oil changes and inner tubes, it's only had one major overhaul which cost 2.5k.. It gets used daily and has racked up well over 80,000 Kms, can't see the exact number as the little screen is bugga'd ????

I would concur with majority of replies, 15-20k should get a good reliable bike but be sure to check it over properly as with any purchase like that...

• Like 1

used at 10k won't be maintained safely.

I just had to replace tyres/bearings/filter/belt/oil on mine last week...what a difference now....factor in these things for safety/performance.

Thais just neglect the internal maintence...and the cheaper the bike is the more likely its on its last legs.

ABS also a lifesaver on these roads.

Edited by freedomnow