What is a reasonable price for a usable small bike up-country? And where to buy it?

OneMoreFarang

It would be good if the family of my gf up country would have a small motorcycle so that they can ride to the market, about 20km away, independent from others.

I am willing to support them - within reason.

I have i.e. in mind I pay maybe 50% of a reasonable 2nd hand bike.

I think something like a 125cc bike or in that range should do the job.

It should be good enough to carry two people (small Thais) and some market shopping. The roads are mostly asphalt, only a few hundred meters of dirt roads.

It should be good enough to be reliable, with decent brakes, etc. but nothing to race. Just a "work horse" for shopping trips.

I have little idea about used small bikes. This is why I like to have your opinion about things like this:

- Price range? Is a used bike for 10,000B usable or will it need repairs all the time? What is a reasonable price for something that works but is not fancy?

- Where to buy such a bike? From private? Maybe a small local repair shop? A dealer (maybe returned bike with finance not paid)? Warranty?

- Are used bikes up-country (200km away from Bangkok) a lot cheaper or more expensive than in Bangkok?

- Any specific brands and models which are reliable?

Thanks for any info.

1 minute ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Is a used bike for 10,000B usable or will it need repairs all the time?

You might well find that it's always in for repairs, no matter what you buy. Transfer the repair money by online banking. 

Buy them a Tricity. 2 front wheels. Better for their needs.  

4 minutes ago, Khaeng Mak said:

How were they getting to market before you arrived on the scene?

And why should it be any different now?

Get your girlfriend to buy them a bike out of her salary.  Or do you pay that too?

and I guess she won't be a girlfriend to much longer .......

oh  !   that's right,  you get it all for free ... lol  !

• Confused 1

Buy a new wave 110i will do the job, no worries about repairs, decent second hand bikes hold their value so 20-30k for a well looked after say 2 year old bike. Might as well pay the extra make everyone happy, buy new for around 45k ????

• Like 1

We've had a Click 250cc for 4 years now and use it for just the purpose the O/P is talking about. 20Kls into town, load up with shopping from Big C, Macro or the market and cart it all home. I'm always amazed at how much we can carry and still feel safe.

A scooter is generally more suited to this role than a motorcycle because you can get quite a large tote bag in the footwell between your legs, plus there's the under seat storage. This also helps to keep the centre of gravity low.

Hondas are renown for reliability. I've only had to pay out for one battery and two tyres in all that time.

There are plenty of secondhand outlets all over Thailand. Just get out and explore the market.

44 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

I would suggest "up country" at around 15-20k for a decent used bike like a Wave or similar.

agree... a 3-4 years old Click or Wave in good condition it's around 20K, just sold mine, 3.5 years old Click 27K Kms and sold within a week of posting for 22K recently changed the auto start battery

42 minutes ago, thaiguzzi said:

Breathtaking.

Just breathtaking this forum sometimes....

Guy asks a simple question related to purchasing a S/H step thru for his g/f 's family....

thaiguzzi, If you read my post correctly, I was having a go at KM for his comment & questions.

I was just being fasicious ....

I'd suggest a Yamaha, 110 - 125 cc. Just as good as a Honda, but less expensive. Aim for a bike with less than 10,000 km on the odometer, should cost 15 - 20 K baht. Preferably buy one owned by a farang, as they will (mostly) be more conscientious about servicing.

I bought a Yamaha TTX about five years ago secondhand. Hasn't missed a beat.

Do not know what is best now but be aware front basket is not good on some models (no mounting or block light with anything in basket).  We were advised to go with Honda Icon in 2008 because of this and have had excellent experience with it and still running fine (family use in Bangkok for local shopping trips).

1 hour ago, Khaeng Mak said:

How were they getting to market before you arrived on the scene?

And why should it be any different now?

Get your girlfriend to buy them a bike out of her salary.  Or do you pay that too?

Well put !  lived here long enough to see it all my friend.

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Price range? Is a used bike for 10,000B usable or will it need repairs all the time? What is a reasonable price for something that works but is not fancy?

10,000 possible when say up country, Wave best bet, can get a decent one for 12,000 to 16,000 where we live.

Anything 10,000 and under is bought by guys hear, parts are cheap and they need a bit of work done hence 12,000 to 16,000.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the positive feedback.

If they buy i.e. a used Wave for 20k from a dealer, would that include any warranty, i.e. for 6 month or something like that?

Or are these bikes so robust that basically if they work they work and there are not many hidden problems?

6 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

If they buy i.e. a used Wave for 20k from a dealer, would that include any warranty, i.e. for 6 month or something like that?

Or are these bikes so robust that basically if they work they work and there are not many hidden problems?

Usually no warranty, if something breaks after a day or two he might help you if he is nice, but you should not expect more than that.

They are quite robust, but the more important thing is, that if anything fails it is cheap to repair.

Let's say you have a Wave and the chain breaks, replacing this will cost something like 300 baht.

8 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Thais are fixated on Hondas and Toyotas being the best brands. Some justification in that, although Yamahas and Mazdas are just as good.

As long as whatever is picked drives normally, and doesn't make any strange noises, yes they will take a lot of punishment.

14 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

We have a wave bought new now some 12 years old 80,000klms on 10 years just started to show wear, need a bit of cosmetic TLC, new front basket, new seat, and new plastics around the front light. All cheap to replace and locally done. One major engine service a year ago put some new drive parts in and new chain less than 500 baht.

Edited by 473geo
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sealbash said:

I am curious why you have the above opinion?

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Based on experience. I've bought a scooter and a car from farang owners, both still going strong.

I bought a Mercedes from an Asian. Had water in the radiator instead of coolant, 91 octane in the tank instead of 95. Big mistake on my part, was pleased to get shot of it.

IMHO maintenance is optional with many Thais. Not a priority.

• Like 1