Does alternating embassies help in not getting a red stamp for tourist visa?

This question pertains to 60 days tourist visas given at embassies in countries near Thailand, Laos specifically.

I've gotten red stamps on my passport before, fortunately, it always happened when the passport was full...so getting a new passport fixed it.

In order to avoid that in the future, I know that going to Vientiane Thai embassy more than twice in a row will for sure get you a red stamp now....

Would it be ok if you did it this way:

1. First visa in Vientiane Thai embassy

Cambodia 30 days + 30 extension

2. Second visa in Savannakhet Thai embassy

3. Third visa in Vientiane Thai embassy

4. Forth visa in Savannakhet Thai embassy

5. Fifth visa in Vientiane Thai embassy

6. Sixth visa in Savannakhet Thai embassy

So that would let you get 6 tourist visas without  a red stamp? Or am I dreaming in color (or in a 2003 dream...!)

PS. Do they put the tourist visas in the computer now, or does getting a new passport solve the issue?

Edited by ikebukuro5

Tourist visa is 60 days. Can extend by 30.

Lot also depends on time outside of Thailand. Entering via border crossings will be lot safer that airports. New pp not solve issue and yes your entries on computer.

Just to clarify....you are talking about setv?. Not visa exempt entries.

There is limit of 2 visa exempt at borders per calendar yr.

The 2 consulates you mention are Laos. Not Cambodia

Edited by DrJack54
Error

If you're continuously staying in Thailand, why not get an METV from how country. Leave every 30-days and you can stretch it to 9-month. After that it become dicey. If you're taking extended vacation in neighboring countries (like few weeks in each neighboring country), SETVs will be OK. Start with Malaysia, Singapore, Hong Kong, Macau for airport arrivals and then go to poor neighboring countries (Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam) for land-border crossing. 

Edited by onera1961

If your currently in own country you could obtain METV to kick things off. If not to mix things up you could obtain first and maybe second in Saigon. Depending on recent history airports might be OK. Not later when you have lots of setv at borders.

1 minute ago, ikebukuro5 said:

Can't fly for medical reasons, and besides they don't give multiple entries anymore in my country

If you're undergoing treatment, you should be able to get a 90-day visa from Laos. Check that out. Some posters may know more about that.

7 minutes ago, ikebukuro5 said:

Can't fly for medical reasons, and besides they don't give multiple entries anymore in my country

Umm....if you are going to try live in Thailand pretty much full time it won't work on setv,s. Sure it did years ago. Heck long time ago I lived here on visa exempt even though I was over 50. Those days are gone. If you can include time (not few days) in other countries in Asia you could remain in Asia basically indefinitely. Living in los on going on setv ...no.

Your not being able to fly is BIG issue. Is that temporary issue. You can obtain I think 90 days?? On medical grounds. Its strict. Requires medical statements etc.

Edited by DrJack54
Error

18 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

The 2 consulates you mention are Laos. Not Cambodia

I think he was planning on doing Visa-Exempts out/in to Cambodia after each TR Visa ran out - in which case ..

18 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

There is limit of 2 visa exempt at borders per calendar yr.

@ikebukuro5  If you cannot fly - to be able to get more than about a year per-passport from Tourist Visas + your 2 land-border Visa Exempt entries, these days - you would be looking at longer bus-trips all the way to consulates in Vietnam or Myanmar. 

Edited by JackThompson

31 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Heck long time ago I lived here on visa exempt even though I was over 50. Those days are gone.

I did the same when Thailand needed dollar and I was getting 40BHT/USD. Now every week BHT is getting stronger due to massive inflow of foreign currency into Thai stock and bond markets and of course Tourists from China and India. Due to stronger currency, Thai export is down 5% last few months. Export council blames stronger Thai baht and is factory shut down and lay off if central bank does not intervene. Trump administration has already put Thailand on a watch and if central bank intervenes to make currency weaker, it can declare Thailand as a currency manipulator. That will trigger massive reduction of Thailand's export economy (65%) and huge increase in unemployment of people in organized sectors where they're entitled to pension and social security. US administration thinks Thai baht is still weak and it should go down further to the pre Asian crisis level (25BHT/USD) without intervention. 

Edited by onera1961

On 2/25/2019 at 9:29 AM, ikebukuro5 said:

First visa in Vientiane Thai embassy 

2. Second visa in Savannakhet Thai embassy

3. Third visa in Vientiane Thai embassy

4. Forth visa in Savannakhet Thai embassy

5. Fifth visa in Vientiane Thai embassy

6. Sixth visa in Savannakhet Thai embassy

That's alot of tourist visas. Thai immigration can see how many times you have entered Thailand and depending over what period will determine a red stamp warranted or not.

21 minutes ago, ikebukuro5 said:

So nobody knows basically? 

The question is, does alternating embassies between tourist visas help avoid red stamp?

Short answer is "no", judging by the available evidence.

The policies at every consulate are different on applying the warning stamp, and some are not reported to use it at all. However, there are basically two factors that are taken into account

• total number of tourist visas in your passport issued at that consulate; and
  • at some consulates, they also look at Thai tourist visas you have from elsewhere.

It does not appear to matter whether visas are back-to-back, or interspersed with other types of entry, or even time outside Thailand. They are just counting total Thai tourist visas (from that consulate, and sometimes elsewhere).

Edited by BritTim
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/28/2019 at 3:52 PM, BritTim said:

Short answer is "no", judging by the available evidence.

The policies at every consulate are different on applying the warning stamp, and some are not reported to use it at all. However, there are basically two factors that are taken into account

• total number of tourist visas in your passport issued at that consulate; and
  • at some consulates, they also look at Thai tourist visas you have from elsewhere.

It does not appear to matter whether visas are back-to-back, or interspersed with other types of entry, or even time outside Thailand. They are just counting total Thai tourist visas (from that consulate, and sometimes elsewhere).

I've had 3 red stamps from Vientiane over the years, many passports also...did anybody ever get red stamps from Savanankhet? 

Maybe Vientiane is more strict?

9 hours ago, ikebukuro5 said:

Yes and no. They don't ask for supporting documents which are needed in Savannakhet, but limit the number of visa they issue. Kind of a compromise to deal with the huge number of applicants.

19 hours ago, ikebukuro5 said:

I've had 3 red stamps from Vientiane over the years, many passports also...did anybody ever get red stamps from Savanankhet? 

I have not read of one.  They have even been known to ignore "remark stamps" from Penang/PhnomPenh consulates.  But they have also been reported to say "Don't come back" or even,  "No."

19 hours ago, ikebukuro5 said:

They add the remark-stamp more quickly now than they used to, but at least if you don't have a remark-stamp, they almost always give you at least that "one last" TR-Visa from them - giving time to get a new passport.

4 hours ago, JackThompson said:

I have not read of one.  They have even been known to ignore "remark stamps" from Penang/PhnomPenh consulates.  But they have also been reported to say "Don't come back" or even,  "No."

They add the remark-stamp more quickly now than they used to, but at least if you don't have a remark-stamp, they almost always give you at least that "one last" TR-Visa from them - giving time to get a new passport.

Ok, great, and even if they said now, and I was out of Cambodia border runs...worse case scenario fly back into Thailand with 30 days right?

On 2/28/2019 at 3:31 PM, ikebukuro5 said:

So nobody knows basically? 

The question is, does alternating embassies between tourist visas help avoid red stamp?

Previously , alternating Embassys did help people avoiding red stamps .

It was 3/4 TV's from any given Embassy and other Embassys didnt count T.V,s from other Embassys. 

These days though , Red stamps seem to be more common and theres been some reports of people getting red stamps on their second application 

2 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Previously , alternating Embassys did help people avoiding red stamps .

It was 3/4 TV's from any given Embassy and other Embassys didnt count T.V,s from other Embassys. 

These days though , Red stamps seem to be more common and theres been some reports of people getting red stamps on their second application 

I got one on my 3rd visa from Vientiane...have you heard of any red stamps from Savanakhet, had tons from Vitentiane...