Is doing visa runs all the time ok?

Ok, if I have a tourist visa then is it ok if I go to Laos before it expires, get it done, go back to Thailand and repeat again and again for a long time?? (I mean, 3 years ish) 

Will I be denied?? 

I won’t do illegal things! 

It all depends on so many factors.

Getting more than 3 from the same consulate without getting rejected.

Time out of Thailand between visas.

Where you enter Thailand, airport or land border.

Some have done it for a long time without a problem, some have been questioned 'why so many setvs?' and some have been denied entry after 4/5/6 setvs.

Hard to give a yes/no answer.

• Like 1

As long as you can get the visas, you will currently encounter no problems entering Thailand by land at Nong Khai or Mukdahan (after getting a visa in Vientiane or Savannakhet respectively). However, you will not be able to indefinitely get visas from Vientiane, and might not be able to get them from Savannakhet. It is generally accepted that the maximum from Vientiane is three or four visas, after which your passport is stamped with a note that prevents getting more. As of a year or so ago, you could get unlimited visas in Savannakhet (where the requirements for an application are more stringent) but there are recent reports that suggest limits are now being applied there also.

16 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

I did it for a year, it gets very wearing in the end.  I spent too much time worrying about and then planning my next visa run  that it came closer to impacting negatively my whole time here.  I'm now on an extension of stay (only available if you meet the age/finance criteria of course) and I'm must happier. 

Can you tell me your story?? I am very very anxious!!!

23 minutes ago, overherebc said:

It all depends on so many factors.

Getting more than 3 from the same consulate without getting rejected.

Time out of Thailand between visas.

Where you enter Thailand, airport or land border.

Some have done it for a long time without a problem, some have been questioned 'why so many setvs?' and some have been denied entry after 4/5/6 setvs.

Hard to give a yes/no answer.

Well, I just want to spend 1 day in Vientiane and go back after my visa is done 

I am soooo worried 

9 minutes ago, Lemonlime said:

Can you tell me your story?? I am very very anxious!!!

Nothing to tell, Visa runs became boring, lengthy in time devoted to them and less easy with the new rules, so changed to a  NI O visa and then an extension of stay.  

Ok, if I have a tourist visa then is it ok if I go to Laos before it expires, get it done, go back to Thailand and repeat again and again for a long time?? (I mean, 3 years ish) 

Will I be denied?? 

Very hard to say. Avoid airports. Use land borders (except Poipet). Are you digital nomad want to live here cheaply? If you have plenty of money, you can visit some wealthy countries like Singapore, Malaysia, Hong Kong, Japan, Taiwan, South Korea. Maldives, India There are lots of places in Asia besides Thailand. If you're addicted to a Thai GF, take your chance through the land birders.

Sent from my JKM-LX2 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1 hour ago, onera1961 said:

Very hard to say. Avoid airports. Use land borders (except Poipet). Are you digital nomad want to live here cheaply? If you have plenty of money, you can visit some wealthy countries like Singapore, Malaysia, Hong Kong, Japan, Taiwan, South Korea. Maldives, India There are lots of places in Asia besides Thailand. If you're addicted to a Thai GF, take your chance through the land birders.

Sent from my JKM-LX2 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Land birders??

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

The OP had thread several days ago along lines.."what visa is best for me".

Complete waste of time. 

The replies back then will be same as this thread. If you were clever and creative (I doubt either the case) you could remain a year give or take. An METV at start would have been a good start.

But hey you have had all this info before.

I am very very confused, well, they didn’t mention about doing lots of visa runs 

2 hours ago, Lemonlime said:

Will I be denied?? 

What you are suggesting is not “illegal”, but you’re not supposed to use Tourist Visas to live in the country.

The longer you repeat the cycle the higher the chances grow of you being questioned on entry about what you do in Thailand, or being denied entry.

People have stayed far longer than 3 years as a ‘tourist’, but it’s getting harder with every change immigration make to reduce/stop it.

5 minutes ago, elviajero said:

What you are suggesting is not “illegal”, but you’re not supposed to use Tourist Visas to live in the country.

The longer you repeat the cycle the higher the chances grow of you being questioned on entry about what you do in Thailand, or being denied entry.

People have stayed far longer than 3 years as a ‘tourist’, but it’s getting harder with every change immigration make to reduce/stop it.

Actually, I am worried about the 1st year 

oo

1 hour ago, Muppet2019 said:

Thousands of people (digital nomads) in chaing mai have been doing it for years on end and don't seem to get bothered.

But they make it harder for legitimate stayers like for family reasons. 

But they don't care. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lemonlime said:

Actually, I am worried about the 1st year 

oo

There is no legal reason for denial based on "here too much before."  If you enter at law-abiding entry-points, there is no risk, according to recent reports for years.  The only problem would be flying in to several airports, or using the one bad land-border - Poipet/Aranya. 

4 minutes ago, PoorSucker said:

But they make it harder for legitimate stayers like for family reasons. 

But they don't care. 

How do their actions (completely legal) affect those on Non-O (family) extensions or visas?

1 hour ago, JackThompson said:

There is no legal reason for denial based on "here too much before."  If you enter at law-abiding entry-points, there is no risk, according to recent reports for years.  The only problem would be flying in to several airports, or using the one bad land-border - Poipet/Aranya. 

There is risk at every border! Although the risk at any border (except) Aranya/Poipet of being denied entry is very small.

All entry points “abide by the law”. IO’s at any border can lawfully deny entry to any ‘tourist’ or visitor under any qualifying reason under secton 12 of the immigration act.

To suggest Thailand’s international airports are lawless (non law-abiding) is frankly ridiculous, and to give the OP the false impression that there is “no risk” at other border points is very bad advice.

12 minutes ago, elviajero said:

There is risk at every border! Although the risk at any border (except) Aranya/Poipet of being denied entry is very small.

All entry points “abide by the law”. IO’s at any border can lawfully deny entry to any ‘tourist’ or visitor under any qualifying reason under secton 12 of the immigration act.

To suggest Thailand’s international airports are lawless (non law-abiding) is frankly ridiculous, and to give the OP the false impression that there is “no risk” at other border points is very bad advice.

Firstly I agree with this post. I'm only tacking onto this post to point members to op previous thread. Something like "what is correct visa for me" 4 or so pages of rubbish. A 20 yr old with comments such as ...can I do ed visa and not attend class. The list goes on and on. So i have had my rant about all that. Since op lives udon thani, can most likely do runs to Laos and squeeze out yr up. Mind you in previous thread stated " visa runs too expensive" 

I think the best way to do this is select two or three countries in SE Asia that you are happy to live in and go back and forth using the tourist visa and extension system. So stay in Thailand for 3 months, move on to Vietnam, then Bali or Malaysia or Cambodia or Philippines, then back to Thailand. Rinse and repeat. But staying at least 3 months in the other countries. You'll look more credible as a tourist.

Or make use of the ED Visa ... the only problem being is that it ties you up in classes during the week.

But I don't think what you are proposing will work for much more than a year.

13 minutes ago, AlexRich said:

I think the best way to do this is select two or three countries in SE Asia that you are happy to live in and go back and forth using the tourist visa and extension system. So stay in Thailand for 3 months, move on to Vietnam, then Bali or Malaysia or Cambodia or Philippines, then back to Thailand. Rinse and repeat. But staying at least 3 months in the other countries. You'll look more credible as a tourist.

Or make use of the ED Visa ... the only problem being is that it ties you up in classes during the week.

But I don't think what you are proposing will work for much more than a year.

Exactly. I have posted similar in past. The problem is if you have commitment to Thailand. Most often it's romantic. Otherwise follow the advice Alex posted.

11 minutes ago, johnray said:

Yes immigration is just a shop full of staff pretending they have a real job.  They could easily be replaced with a few laptops.

Thank you. I read a siily post in January. Think it was late Jan. I voted it most nonsense. You are now in first place.

3 hours ago, JackThompson said:

How do their actions (completely legal) affect those on Non-O (family) extensions or visas?

Every loophole used, yes legal, but not in the spirit of of the rules makes it difficult to others, latest is the new seasoning for retirement because some that didn't qualify started to use agents to overcome the seasoning, now everyone suffers. 

• Like 2