New marriage visa requirements

I have been on the retirement visa for the last 15 years. Even though I'm married to a Thai.  With the new regulations for the retirement visa like having to keep 800 K in the bank for six months instead of three months and then 400 K after, it would be better to now get a marriage visa in spite of the fact that it's a little bit more complicated. I'm  aware of the previous requirements for such a visa. But I would like a little more clarification. If there are any changes to this? Does the 400 K have to be kept in our account after we receive the Visa? Can the 400 K be kept in a joint account? Changing to the marriage Visa for the first time, does the 400 K have to be in two months or three months?

The 400k baht has to be in an account in your name only for 2 months on the day you apply for the extension.

No need for it to be in the bank any longer than that other than possibley during the 30 day under consideration period.

• Like 1

Did my latest renewal about 10  days  ago, no real change form last year except  first visit to my house ever. 400k untouched for 3  months for renewals 2  months FIRST  time, didnt  get asked to keep it there for the "under consideration" period but I never  take it out of the bank anyway

I used to be on a extension based on marriage but 5 years ago change to extension based on retirement. Now i need to go back to the marriage extension due to finances. Q. will the 400k in the bank need in for 2 or 3 months prior to my visit to immigration ?

3 hours ago, gamini said:

Can the 400 K be kept in a joint account?

There is nothing in the rules/regulations that says it can’t be a joint account. But it’s best to assume they will insist on an account in your sole name, unless you get confirmation from the office you apply at that they will accept a joint account.

Hi

Sorry if this has been answered elsewhere (New to this site), but I’m trying to find out if I can apply for a marriage visa whilst I’m still in England. We are hoping to live in Thailand from December 2019.

Any help or suggested reading would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

17 minutes ago, Next4467 said:

Sorry if this has been answered elsewhere (New to this site), but I’m trying to find out if I can apply for a marriage visa whilst I’m still in England.

You can get a single a non-o visa based upon marriage. A single entry visa would allow one 90 day entry and multiple entry visa would allow unlimited 90 day entries for one year from the date of issue.

You can apply for single entry non-o visa at the Thai embassy in London or one of the honorary consulate. A multiple entry non-o would have to be applied for at the embassy.

After arriving here you could apply for a one year extension of stay based upon marriage at a immigration office.

7 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You can get a single a non-o visa based upon marriage. A single entry visa would allow one 90 day entry and multiple entry visa would allow unlimited 90 day entries for one year from the date of issue.

You can apply for single entry non-o visa at the Thai embassy in London or one of the honorary consulate. A multiple entry non-o would have to be applied for at the embassy.

After arriving here you could apply for a one year extension of stay based upon marriage at a immigration office.

Thanks, I will most likely just go for the 90 day single entry then, I wasn’t sure if I could get a year marriage visa before I left England. Guess I was hoping for to much.

I'm heading that direction myself next year.  Just extended based on retirement today.  Two days under the wire before the new police order takes effect, so it shouldn't matter anyway whether I draw money out of the 800K THB in the next three months or not.  But I'll draw that account back down to 400K THB near the end of the year and go back to the Extension Based on Marriage on my 2020 renewal.  I'm thinking that they'll be processing a whole heap of marriage extensions next year as those of us who are married simply don't want our local funds tied up by bureaucratic nonsense with the new retirement extension rules that clearly penalizes those of us who are here legally and who are playing by all the rule instead of going after the agents and bent IOs who are offering services, illegally, to foreigners who are unqualified for retirement visa extensions.  That's the root problem, but that doesn't seem to ever be addressed by those making these laws.  Just hammer the foreigners.  Oh well, back to marriage extensions.  Wonder if they can pass laws making that extension more complicated before the beginning of next year?  I'm sure they can.

One odd thing this extension though.  Every previous extension for years they have reset my 90 day reporting date to match my extension date.  I even had the TM47 with me.  They said "No" they didn't want it.  So back next month to process a 90 day report.  No big deal, but just different.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, likewise said:

And if they notice the married retired guys all shift to a marriage extension. Guess what, they'll just make it an even 800K for everybody. Problem solved.

Highly unlikely, The 800K for retirement extensions is, mainly, to control numbers (keep them down). For a “marriage extension” they are just interested to know that the husband can afford to stay.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, connda said:

I'm heading that direction myself next year.  Just extended based on retirement today.  Two days under the wire before the new police order takes effect, so it shouldn't matter anyway whether I draw money out of the 800K THB in the next three months or not.  But I'll draw that account back down to 400K THB near the end of the year and go back to the Extension Based on Marriage on my 2020 renewal.  I'm thinking that they'll be processing a whole heap of marriage extensions next year as those of us who are married simply don't want our local funds tied up by bureaucratic nonsense with the new retirement extension rules that clearly penalizes those of us who are here legally and who are playing by all the rule instead of going after the agents and bent IOs who are offering services, illegally, to foreigners who are unqualified for retirement visa extensions.  That's the root problem, but that doesn't seem to ever be addressed by those making these laws.  Just hammer the foreigners.  Oh well, back to marriage extensions.  Wonder if they can pass laws making that extension more complicated before the beginning of next year?  I'm sure they can.

One odd thing this extension though.  Every previous extension for years they have reset my 90 day reporting date to match my extension date.  I even had the TM47 with me.  They said "No" they didn't want it.  So back next month to process a 90 day report.  No big deal, but just different.

It’s all new to me I’m still in England, just planning for later this year unless it all goes tits up.

. Thanks everyone for the reply.  There does seem to be a bit of inconsistency about whether the 400 K money can be kept in our joint account or not. This is very important because I'm getting on for 90 and if I suddenly kicked the bucket, at least my wife could get the 400 K without having to go through all sorts of difficult problems. Also can anyone advise how long before my retirement visa expires can I apply for a marriage visa?

On 2/26/2019 at 7:56 PM, likewise said:

And if they notice the married retired guys all shift to a marriage extension. Guess what, they'll just make it an even 800K for everybody. Problem solved.

Nope, they just make the Marriage extension harder to get ????

8 minutes ago, gamini said:

There does seem to be a bit of inconsistency about whether the 400 K money can be kept in our joint account or not.

The only way to know with any certainty is to ask your local immigration office. 

8 minutes ago, gamini said:

Also can anyone advise how long before my retirement visa expires can I apply for a marriage visa?

You can apply up 30 days early or 45 days at somce immigration offices.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, gamini said:

. Thanks everyone for the reply.  There does seem to be a bit of inconsistency about whether the 400 K money can be kept in our joint account or not. This is very important because I'm getting on for 90 and if I suddenly kicked the bucket, at least my wife could get the 400 K without having to go through all sorts of difficult problems. Also can anyone advise how long before my retirement visa expires can I apply for a marriage visa?

Couple of easy solutions;

1. Make a Will. Your wife will still need a Court Order to release the funds, but very easy to obtain with a Will in-situ.

2. The account can be in your sole name, but your wife can be a co-signature to the account, allowing immediate access to any funds.

• Like 2

With regard to the B400000 and the Spouse Visa, the entire B400000 can be withdrawn after issue of the visa, so long as it is replaced two months prior to application for renewal. You must have B400000 in the bank for THREE months prior to applying for the Spouse Visa if it is your initial application.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

24 minutes ago, PaulDPed said:

With regard to the B400000 and the Spouse Visa, the entire B400000 can be withdrawn after issue of the visa, so long as it is replaced two months prior to application for renewal. You must have B400000 in the bank for THREE months prior to applying for the Spouse Visa if it is your initial application.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

The ‘published’ requirement is for two months prior to the first and any future applications. 

• Like 1

Misinformation from immigration Chiang Mai cost me a trip to Vientiane because I had been told two months, but the officer, sitting next to the the one who told me two months, said it was three months, and appealing to the other one drew no response.
All immigration offices are autonomous and It is up to the individual office and officer how the regulations are interpreted.
There is a comprehensive list sheet at immigration Chiang Mai setting out the requirements when applying for a Spouse Visa, it also says two months, but I was caught, although this was many years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

The account cannot be jointly held.

There is a change in CW. When you pick up the extension stamp you will need to show an updated book and photocopy thereof with the full balance.

Someone please change the name of the thread. It states as matter of fact there are changes in marriage *visa* requirements. The op is positing a question not making a statement of fact.

Edited by ozmeldo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, PaulDPed said:

All immigration offices are autonomous and It is up to the individual office and officer how the regulations are interpreted.

That is true to a point, but family based extensions are approved at regional level and the offices have less flexibility. The average IO processing your application is under instructions and will not have any/much say in deviating from their orders.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, PaulDPed said:

You must have B400000 in the bank for THREE months prior to applying for the Spouse Visa if it is your initial application.

Two months I believe, although you may be required to maintain that money during the one-month approval period between application and being issued the actual Extension.  Making a total of 3 months. 

On 2/26/2019 at 1:51 PM, ubonjoe said:

The 400k baht has to be in an account in your name only for 2 months on the day you apply for the extension.

No need for it to be in the bank any longer than that other than possibley during the 30 day under consideration period.

Sounds great, I guess that everyone who is on a retirement Visa and married to a Thai will now go for the marriage visa? Also I guess a lot of them who aren't will now probably married their long-time girlfriends. But please, anyone tell me how long before can I aply for the Visa. Normally you can apply 45 days before your retirement visa expires.

2 minutes ago, gamini said:

But please, anyone tell me how long before can I aply for the Visa. Normally you can apply 45 days before your retirement visa expires.

17 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You can apply up 30 days early or 45 days at somce immigration offices.

On 2/26/2019 at 7:35 PM, connda said:

They also did the same with me. It was much appreciated and helpful

• Like 1

On 2/28/2019 at 8:19 PM, PaulDPed said:

Misinformation from immigration Chiang Mai cost me a trip to Vientiane because I had been told two months, but the officer, sitting next to the the one who told me two months, said it was three months, and appealing to the other one drew no response.
There is a comprehensive list sheet at immigration Chiang Mai setting out the requirements when applying for a Spouse Visa, it also says two months, but I was caught, although this was many years ago.

Not sure if they still do this at CM (don't recall reports recently), but there is at least one other office that still requires 3 mo in advance - I think one of the Islands.

On 3/1/2019 at 5:05 AM, jacko45k said:

Two months I believe, although you may be required to maintain that money during the one-month approval period between application and being issued the actual Extension.  Making a total of 3 months. 

And one report from CW (Bangkok) it was 2 mo for the "approval", so he had to show the money was untouched 30-days after applying, then another 30-days later.

• Like 1