New laptop

zlodnick

If you buy in shop they should run through the set up for you.  If not you may need a Thai to get menu into English as believe they are all set to come up in Thai here (but believe can be switched but you might want to confirm first).  Have bought 3 mail order and teenagers had no issue setting them up using Thai.

Now days when shopping in/with places like ITCity, BananaIT, invadeIT, etc., Win 10 comes "pre-installed from the factory" in most cases.   However, a few years ago it was the reverse---most did not come with Windows installed but Linux or DOS.  Times have changed.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Pib said:

However, a few years ago it was the reverse

Yep, very true. Most new laptops and PCs were sold with DOS which kept the prices down.

There's still a good case for buying a new device without the OS pre-installed although for most consumers it's better that they just pay the extra and enjoy the convenience of having everything ready to go when they open the box.

1 hour ago, killerbeez said:

Yep, very true. Most new laptops and PCs were sold with DOS which kept the prices down.

There's still a good case for buying a new device without the OS pre-installed although for most consumers it's better that they just pay the extra and enjoy the convenience of having everything ready to go when they open the box.

I bought an Asus Ultrabook about 2 years ago with only DOS installed. I swore I would never buy another computer without Windows pre-installed. But, as noted, times change. I have just purchased 3 Microsoft Windows 10 Pro Product keys on Lazada for less than B400 total and installed them in a few hours relatively effortlessly. Microsoft accepted all 3 as valid. So, it really is now a question of price. If you can save B4000 - B5000 by getting a new computer with DOS or a Windows copy, you can download and install Windows 10 and purchase a legitimate Product Key for less than B200. The same for Office 2016/2019. Your money (and time); your choice....

Thanks for the replies,

I was looking in a shop the other day and laptop prices were from 9,000-40,000 baht. I'm not sure why the big difference. I think my needs are quite simple. I just look up stuff on Google, read newspapers, skype and email. What price range would get me a good laptop that fits my needs?

22 minutes ago, zlodnick said:

Thanks for the replies,

I was looking in a shop the other day and laptop prices were from 9,000-40,000 baht. I'm not sure why the big difference. I think my needs are quite simple. I just look up stuff on Google, read newspapers, skype and email. What price range would get me a good laptop that fits my needs?

Just get the cheapest that allows you to swap the HDD for an SSD. 10k should do it.

No laptops with 32 GB or 64 GB of storage.

Post links of those that interest you to get an appraisal.