Extension Of Stay Renewal Dates And Availability Clarification

Hi

I posted a question on the forum last year about renewing annual extension of stay based on being married to Thai spouse and in posession of a Non O visa although I would like to ask the wisdom of Thai Visa forum members for clarification on 2 details please. If anyone knows the answers and is willing to share I would really appreciate it ????

Questions are:

1. Is it possible to apply to renew the extension of stay nearing the permission to stay expiry date, or do I need to apply at least 30 days prior? for example if stamp in passport says permission to stay until 2nd May 2019, I can go apply 1 week before on 25th April 2019? 

2. Following successful application of extension and during the provisional 30 day under consideration period, would I be allowed to exit Thailand for several weeks and return to Thailand to collect the extension on the correct date OR it is a requirement to remain in the country for those 30 days that are under consideration?

Thanks for any info shared.

Edited by NightSky

!. You can apply as late as the last day if you wish, though I would not recommend doing that, in case of a last-minute surprise from the Immigration Dept.

2. As long as you have obtained a Re-entry Permit on your current extension of stay, you can leave Thailand during the Under Consideration period.  I did it last year

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, allane said:

2. As long as you have obtained a Re-entry Permit on your current extension of stay, you can leave Thailand during the Under Consideration period.  I did it last year

That would not work if the under consideration period went beyond the date you current extension ends. The re-entry permit would of already expired.

Most people have to get a new re-entry permit that is valid up to the report back date on the under consideration stamp.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, NightSky said:

2. Following successful application of extension and during the provisional 30 day under consideration period, would I be allowed to exit Thailand for several weeks and return to Thailand to collect the extension on the correct date OR it is a requirement to remain in the country for those 30 days that are under consideration?

You can get a re-entry permit for the under consideration period that would be valid until the report back date on the stamp.

• Thanks 1

Ok, thank you. So, in theory I could do either of these things.. 

1. Apply for extension of stay 30 days prior to expiry date of 2nd May then go on holiday outside the Kingdom for 3 weeks and return with re-entry permit 1 week prior to 2nd May to collect the approved extension.

OR..

2. I could go on holiday outside the Kingdom, re-enter with a re-entry permit and then apply for extension of stay 1 week prior to 2nd May and then simply wait 30 days in Thailand to collect the approval around end of May.

Are both of these valid options?

Edited by NightSky

To clarify my chronology last year:

- My extension of stay was valid until Apr. 18, 2018

- I went in on Mar. 19 and renewed my extension to stay.  They put me "Under Consideration"; to return  on Apr. 19.

- I went back the next day, Mar. 20 and got my Re-entry Permit (I think I didn't do it on the 19th because

Immigration required me to come back one day sooner than I had anticipated; that meant I had to rebook my international flight, & didn't want to do the R.E. Permit before that had been done.)

- I returned to Thailand on Apr. 17.  Suwannaphum Immigration were a little bemused that I only had two days remaining on my extension, I told them I would be renewing it two days hence.

- I reported to my Immigration office on Apr. 19, 2018.

Edited by allane
x
  • Like 1