Nationwide Account - UK

I have had a Nationwide Bank Account in the UK for 15 years with a UK residential address. I now live permanently in Thailand and was wondering if anyone has knowledge of whether this bank allows an account holder to be a resident of Thailand.

I prefer not to move my money to another bank as I have several pensions that are paid into it and changing would obviously cause complications.

2 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

Why tell them?

Because they have indicated they are tightening up their internet security and will be asking a/c holders in the near future for new evidence of home address

• Confused 1

I was a customer of Nationwide for nearly 20 years.

When i was doing trips back and forward to Thailand, i always notified them so no problems with my credit card.

When i moved here in 2012 i never notified them, after a few months i tried using my card, it was rejected, i called Nationwide asking why and i was told, it appears you are no longer resident in the UK, so your card has been cancelled, a few months later they closed my account.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

1 minute ago, Pilotman said:

you need to have a home address in the UK, use a family member of trusted friend if you dont have property there. Then you are just on a very extended holiday.  

That's OK until they ask you for a Utility Bill. Could you use your UK Driving Licence?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

That's OK until they ask you for a Utility Bill. Could you use your UK Driving Licence?

I produce my tax documents for that address. My son pays the utilities. ????

I use Nationwide, asked them before I came if it would be a problem they said No and they have my Thai address tho they are reluctant to send new cards here that said they have done so but if an issue I then change the address to my sons, had no issues with them (over 10yrs here now)

Edited by Expattaff1308
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, lelapin said:

I now live permanently in Thailand and was wondering if anyone has knowledge of whether this bank allows an account holder to be a resident of Thailand.

I prefer not to move my money to another bank as I have several pensions that are paid into it and changing would obviously cause complications.

Nationwide were OK at the time as long as they could use a UK address but apparently they were not supposed to do it unless you still lived in the UK some of the time which I didn't, after while they wouldn't renew my credit card.

So I ditched them and transferred my private pension payments to my online First Direct account and they gave me a credit card, they only have the one address my Thailand address.

• Like 1

Are there any UK banks that anyone could recommend if I have to switch from Nationwide.

My situation is :-

I am permanently resident in Thailand

I do not need a UK credit card

I have several monthly / yearly pension payments to be paid into my bank

I want them to offer a good internet service for my laptop

I want an account for making debit card payments and also a separate savings account

I am registered with the Inland Revenue with my Thai address

I will occasionally wish to transfer money to my Bangkok Bank sterling account

14 minutes ago, lelapin said:

Are there any UK banks that anyone could recommend if I have to switch from Nationwide.

My situation is :-

I am permanently resident in Thailand

I do not need a UK credit card

I have several monthly / yearly pension payments to be paid into my bank

I want them to offer a good internet service for my laptop

I want an account for making debit card payments and also a separate savings account

I am registered with the Inland Revenue with my Thai address

I will occasionally wish to transfer money to my Bangkok Bank sterling account

None of them, they are all rubbish. Take your pick, anyone of them will at some time f.... up your account and  it's almost guaranteed to be at the most inconvenient time for you.  The newish bank METRO is supposed to have a  good reputation (reported in the UK press recently) but I don't personally know them.  As I understand it, unless you have a UK address and are normally resident in the UK, you can't open a mainland UK bank account, but I may be mistaken.  

Edited by Pilotman

Downloading their banking app is not possible from Thailand but using a VPN would likely assist with that.

I use the Nationwide banking app and I'm sure I downloaded it when I was in Thailand without a VPN.

7 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Nationwide were OK at the time as long as they could use a UK address but apparently they were not supposed to do it unless you still lived in the UK some of the time which I didn't, after while they wouldn't renew my credit card.

So I ditched them and transferred my private pension payments to my online First Direct account and they gave me a credit card, they only have the one address my Thailand address.

And I got a pair of Bose bluetooth headphones for changing over.

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

And I got a pair of Bose bluetooth headphones for changing over.

Dunno if you joke or not, seriously if you had a set up FD bank a/c before you came to Thailand as I did they are a good bank.

e.g. I got money from UK over Thai bank counter better than OFX rate.

• Like 1

I have 4 UK bank accounts (including Nationwide) and 4 credit cards  and have been here 12 years now with absolutely no problems whatsoever although I do maintain a UK address with relatives. (not on electoral roll). oh and UK Paypal credit if I need it.

41 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Dunno if you joke or not, seriously if you had a set up FD bank a/c before you came to Thailand as I did they are a good bank.

e.g. I got money from UK over Thai bank counter better than OFX rate.

I swapped from N'wide to F Direct online from here, only because they offered the Bose headphones (which are very good). 

N'wide's website is much easier to navigate, BUT transfers from UK to Bkk Bank account are FREE. So keep your eye on the ex rate and you can better T'wise's deals. I know, I have done it.

• Like 1

I have 4 UK bank accounts (including Nationwide) and 4 credit cards  and have been here 12 years now with absolutely no problems whatsoever although I do maintain a UK address with relatives. (not on electoral roll). oh and UK Paypal credit if I need it.
Does Nationwide send replacement debit cards to your Thai address?

1 minute ago, trd said:
3 minutes ago, parryhandy said:

Yes, i got a replacement a couple of years back sent to my Sattahip address no problem, (must check to see if it has expired yet)

Yes, i got a replacement a couple of years back sent to my Sattahip address no problem, (must check to see if it has expired yet)

Thanks for the reply. One more question if you don't mind. When you changed your address from UK to a foreign address did you do it by calling up Nationwide head office or did you just change your address through the internet banking app.

20 minutes ago, trd said:
22 minutes ago, parryhandy said:

Everything gets sent to my UK address and all the numbers/details or cards get sent on .I dont actually need the physical card anymore due to online banking, Transferwise and having a Thai account, although I do have it at the moment after a UK trip last year.

Edited by parryhandy

Everything gets sent to my UK address and all the numbers or cards get sent on .I dont actually need the physical card anymore due to online banking, Transferwise and having a Thai account, although I do have it at the moment after a UK trip last year.
I'm interested in the situation where you don't have a UK address anymore but I think that's already been clarified that they will send it to you.

You need to have a physical card if you want to do a swift transfer because you need to authorize the transfer by inputting the code from the coding machine after swiping the card.

When I moved permanently to T/L in 2007 I notified NW of my Thai address (by post).

A few years later I lost access to my Halifax Credit card, and NW would only let me apply for their CC if I had a UK address (for 12 months), so I changed the address to that of my brother in UK (I did this in a local branch).

I originally opened a NW account when their overseas ATM withdrawals were free (sadly no longer), but one downside with them is their SWIFT fees are on the high side with NW (20/25GBP), but now using Transferwise it's of no concern to me, and I'm happy to stick with them  I'm not even sure if I've ever actually used the CC since I've had it....