Nationwide Account - UK

2 minutes ago, trd said:

You need to have a physical card if you want to do a swift transfer because you need to authorize the transfer by inputting the code from the coding machine after swiping the card.

Maybe for SWIFT, but if you use Transferwise. you only need a card to set-up the transfer (to anybody) the first time.  Thereafter if you send to previous payees you don't need to use your card/reader, and of course you can log on using only your memorable data.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, trd said:

I'm interested in the situation where you don't have a UK address anymore but I think that's already been clarified that they will send it to you.

You need to have a physical card if you want to do a swift transfer because you need to authorize the transfer by inputting the code from the coding machine after swiping the card.

Not worth the risk if you have people you can trust in the UK. We are not permanent residents here so as far as I'm concerned this is not my permanent address. Like I said I've had no problems whatsoever doing it this way for now.

• Like 1

When I moved permanently to T/L in 2007 I notified NW of my Thai address (by post).
A few years later I lost access to my Halifax Credit card, and NW would only let me apply for their CC if I had a UK address (for 12 months), so I changed the address to that of my brother in UK (I did this in a local branch).

I originally opened a NW account when their overseas ATM withdrawals were free (sadly no longer), but one downside with them is their SWIFT fees are on the high side with NW (20/25GBP), but now using Transferwise it's of no concern to me, and I'm happy to stick with them  I'm not even sure if I've ever actually used the CC since I've had it....
I prefer to use Transferwise also but I want to have the backup option of being able to do Swift transfers and for that you need the physical ATM/Debit card. I'm not interested in a credit card, just the debit card, but maxcorrigan has confirmed that N/W sent a debit card to his Thai address.

Maybe for SWIFT, but if you use Transferwise. you only need a card to set-up the transfer (to anybody) the first time.  Thereafter if you send to previous payees you don't need to use your card/reader, and of course you can log on using only your memorable data.

Yes that's true. In fact I log into the Nationwide app on my phone with just my fingerprint after initially logging in with password and memorable data.

2 minutes ago, trd said:
8 minutes ago, steve73 said:
When I moved permanently to T/L in 2007 I notified NW of my Thai address (by post).
A few years later I lost access to my Halifax Credit card, and NW would only let me apply for their CC if I had a UK address (for 12 months), so I changed the address to that of my brother in UK (I did this in a local branch).

I prefer to use Transferwise also but I want to have the backup option of being able to do Swift transfers and for that you need the physical ATM/Debit card. I'm not interested in a credit card, just the debit card, but maxcorrigan has confirmed that N/W sent a debit card to his Thai address.

Actually that WAS another reason I changed my address back to the UK.. I live in quite a remote village, and ANY mail rarely reaches me - I can't remember if I had problems receiving UK cards, but changed address to remove that risk.

Actually that WAS another reason I changed my address back to the UK.. I live in quite a remote village, and ANY mail rarely reaches me - I can't remember if I had problems receiving UK cards, but changed address to remove that risk.
Sounds like a wise decision. At the moment my account is registered with my sister's address and I think I'll keep it that way for the time being particularly since the renewal date for my debit card isn't for another 3 years.
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, trd said:
21 minutes ago, steve73 said:

I originally opened a NW account when their overseas ATM withdrawals were free (sadly no longer), but one downside with them is their SWIFT fees are on the high side with NW (20/25GBP), but now using Transferwise it's of no concern to me, and I'm happy to stick with them  I'm not even sure if I've ever actually used the CC since I've had it....

You don't need a card for HSBC, Barclays, Halifax or Nationwide once you have set up yourself as a beneficiary in Thailand.

Edited by LucysDad
  • Like 2

You don't need a card for HSBC, Barclays, Halifax or Nationwide once you have set up yourself as a beneficiary in Thailand.
I'm not sure I understand what that means. Having a debit card number is very useful. For instance I link it to my Paypal account which I like to use instead of a card when I make online payments.

1 minute ago, trd said:
4 minutes ago, LucysDad said:

I'm not sure I understand what that means. Having a debit card number is very useful. For instance I link it to my Paypal account which I like to use instead of a card when I make online payments.

You said you need a card to make a SWIFT transfer....... my point is that you don't.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

I swapped from N'wide to F Direct online from here, only because they offered the Bose headphones (which are very good). 

N'wide's website is much easier to navigate, BUT transfers from UK to Bkk Bank account are FREE. So keep your eye on the ex rate and you can better T'wise's deals. I know, I have done it.

I navigate FD online no problem or phone them, I don't have NW anymore because I have no UK address and transferring money is not important to me, I use up most UK money in Thailand using the FD credit card.

Surely that's out of date - every bank I know now just sends a code to your phone OR its all done within their app
I wouldn't be writing this if that was true of Nationwide would I?

4 hours ago, trd said:

I use the Nationwide banking app and I'm sure I downloaded it when I was in Thailand without a VPN.

Doesn't work for me on Google Play - comes up as 'This item is not available in your country'. Maybe it works OK on AppStore, but never tried on that option.

Doesn't work for me on Google Play - comes up as 'This item is not available in your country'. Maybe it works OK on AppStore, but never tried on that option.
Well I'm in Thailand and I just searched for it on Google play and it's there, Nationwide banking app.
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, dabhand said:

All depends where your Google account is set up . I have one for the UK and one for here.

• Like 1

Go to your Google account app and then go to settings and set your region to United Kingdom.
  • Like 1

Go to your Google account app and then go to settings and set your region to United Kingdom.
No I've got that wrong. Go to Google play and account preferences. what's your country profile set to? Mine is UK with an option to switch to the Thailand store.

Change your Google Play country (Google Help)

If you move to a new country, you may want to change your Google Play country. Your Google Play country determines what content you see in the store. The apps, games and other content in the Store can vary by country. 

You can only change your Play country once per year. So if you change your country, you won’t be able to change it back for one year. 

When you change your country, you won’t be able to use any Google Play balance that you have in your old country in your new country.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, trd said:

Change your Google Play country (Google Help)

If you move to a new country, you may want to change your Google Play country. Your Google Play country determines what content you see in the store. The apps, games and other content in the Store can vary by country. 

You can only change your Play country once per year. So if you change your country, you won’t be able to change it back for one year. 

When you change your country, you won’t be able to use any Google Play balance that you have in your old country in your new country.

Thanks for the advice. Will keep my GP as Thailand - no wish to be locked out on changing back for one year if that is the rule.

I do have an iPhone with AppStore access but it is an older version and the Nationwide app requires a newer IOS for a download to be possible. It's my UK company mobile that I should be upgrading when I next return to the UK. So no problem waiting for that, as the internet site access is good enough.

On 3/1/2019 at 3:03 PM, lelapin said:

Are there any UK banks that anyone could recommend if I have to switch from Nationwide.

My situation is :-

I am permanently resident in Thailand

I do not need a UK credit card

I have several monthly / yearly pension payments to be paid into my bank

I want them to offer a good internet service for my laptop

I want an account for making debit card payments and also a separate savings account

I am registered with the Inland Revenue with my Thai address

I will occasionally wish to transfer money to my Bangkok Bank sterling account

I have a Halifax as well as a Nationwide account. Have no complaints and swift transfers are only £9.50, although I use TransferWise to Bangkok Bank. Both have my UK address. Grateful you post the link to NW saying they are planning to need further proof of UK address.

Myself and my mum have lived in Thailand for the last 15 years and hold a number of Nationwide accounts. Current accounts linked to e saver accounts. Never been a problem they post statements to us here, send replacement ATM / debit cards to us and tax certificates so we can claim rebates.

On 3/1/2019 at 3:31 AM, lelapin said:

Because they have indicated they are tightening up their internet security and will be asking a/c holders in the near future for new evidence of home address

That's odd. I logged into NW banking today via https://www.nationwide.co.uk/ and clicked the purple "Login" button.

It just logged me in as normal after I entered my usual credentials (Customer number and memorable data etc) 

I saw nothing about tightening up security OR verifying home address. Where did you get that information?

On 3/1/2019 at 10:31 AM, lelapin said:

Because they have indicated they are tightening up their internet security and will be asking a/c holders in the near future for new evidence of home address

I’ve lived here for 4 years with a Nationwide (and other Banks) account. I’ve not heard anything about reverifying your address. Where did you get this ? I have a credit card also which I notify them via the automatic feature on their site. On the odd occasion I have needed to speak to them I tell them I make frequent trips to thailand on business for which I use their card - although they have never asked directly. You can use a vpn to show a uk ip address when you log in if you want to appear to be in uk. 

On 3/1/2019 at 10:36 AM, wgdanson said:

That's OK until they ask you for a Utility Bill. Could you use your UK Driving Licence?

You are not supposed to have a UK driving license without UK residence.

There is a heavy fine on it. Beware.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 3/1/2019 at 1:52 PM, wgdanson said:

I swapped from N'wide to F Direct online from here, only because they offered the Bose headphones (which are very good). 

N'wide's website is much easier to navigate, BUT transfers from UK to Bkk Bank account are FREE. So keep your eye on the ex rate and you can better T'wise's deals. I know, I have done it.

I'm with NW and FD. First Direct, which is a telephone and internet bank owned by HSBC, is the best option for overseas residents as they have a 24-hour call center where you actually speak to real person almost straight away. They recently changed to free SWIFT transfers but they insist on doing the exchange before they send it, which is how they cover their costs. However, my receiving bank (Bangkok Bank) then charge me an international transfer fee but when I previously transferred in GBP I got the BB telegraphic transfer rate, which was a good rate, and no other charge. I now use Transferwise as they invariably work out the best as long as it's not a large amount and you actually see the exact amount that you will receive in your account.

50 minutes ago, Jaggg88 said:

but they insist on doing the exchange before they send it,

I was really surprised when I read this as thought that all banks at least allowed you to choose.

I even looked them up online which confirmed what you say. I have not looked at the exchange rates but this sounds like a complete rip off and I am surprised they can get away with it when there is now so much information about on alternative forex companies.

10 hours ago, Jaggg88 said:

I'm with NW and FD. First Direct, which is a telephone and internet bank owned by HSBC, is the best option for overseas residents as they have a 24-hour call center where you actually speak to real person almost straight away. They recently changed to free SWIFT transfers but they insist on doing the exchange before they send it, which is how they cover their costs. However, my receiving bank (Bangkok Bank) then charge me an international transfer fee but when I previously transferred in GBP I got the BB telegraphic transfer rate, which was a good rate, and no other charge. I now use Transferwise as they invariably work out the best as long as it's not a large amount and you actually see the exact amount that you will receive in your account.

First Direct transfers are FREE if you do it yourself online. I sent GBP to my Bkk Bank savings account, arrived within 24 hours, and got a reasonable rate from Bkk. Very little difference between that and T'wise.