Second hand goods (Flea) market

Kay McDonnell

Quite aside from the legality issues and possible  immigration problems, you'd probably get complaints from anyone who might be selling used items at a regular weekly (or whatever) market and whoever rents stalls there.

Assuming you have a limited number of things you personally want to sell, better to do it on a casual, word of mouth basis where someone interested can visit you at home to inspect the item.

If you actually want to organize something like this for everyone and anyone on a regular basis, you're trying to run a business whether or not you profited from it. That has the potential to get you in a lot of hot water with immigrations and the local community, both from officialdom and from personal resentment.

• Like 1

I think the reason that you do not see such markets is that Thai do not like to buy 2nd hand... my experience is that if something has value, they give or sell it to a family manner... if it is totally defective, unwanted, or too expensive then they might sell it... including houses.. 

30 minutes ago, kenk24 said:

I think the reason that you do not see such markets is that Thai do not like to buy 2nd hand... my experience is that if something has value, they give or sell it to a family manner... if it is totally defective, unwanted, or too expensive then they might sell it... including houses.. 

Are you serious? There are secondhand clothing shops all over Chiang Mai. My Thai GF haunts them, spends hours in them selecting clothes for herself, me and her family. Go to any of the street markets, there will be quite a few stalls flogging used phones, electronics, tools, sound systems etc. Thais might not like secondhand, but they certainly trade in them.

Having said that, the OP is probably better off selling unwanted stuff on eBay or Craigslist. A farang running a street stall in Thailand would raise eyebrows, if not fists.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Are you serious? There are secondhand clothing shops all over Chiang Mai. My Thai GF haunts them, spends hours in them selecting clothes for herself, me and her family. Go to any of the street markets, there will be quite a few stalls flogging used phones, electronics, tools, sound systems etc. Thais might not like secondhand, but they certainly trade in them.

Having said that, the OP is probably better off selling unwanted stuff on eBay or Craigslist. A farang running a street stall in Thailand would raise eyebrows, if not fists.

I have been in the unfortunately situation to sell goods at the markets at least ones per week

my wife was the seller but when she need it a break I filled in we sold mostly clothes

which we bought cheap from other countries and it helped

Will some kind souls out there who have knowledge about shipping by containers let me know how do I go about shipping secondhand clothings, backpacks, shoes in bulk from Japan. I wish to buy them in Japan and ship them to Malaysia(not Thailand) and sell them there.

If I personally go to Japan to select those items that I would like to sell would it be too time consuming? It would not be a one time business it would be an on going business of secondhand personal items.

I hope to get some informations.

ok so it is to prop up my business by attracting customers to my outlet.

I think i will offer the use of the tables to sell goods and my thai staff can get a medioca commission to avoid all the issues stated.  

This should mean the the people wanting to sell can be on hand to advise,  then the buyers will come, which i hope my place will get positive exposure.

Hope that will work, cannot see any issues at the moment.