The War Against Mozzies

Well we had a roach thread now how about those pesky mozzies.

They ate me alive in my last house despite UV lights with electric zappers inside, Off! and mozzie nets on the windows, I regularly woke up with 20 something bites all over including eye lids and ears it drove me insane (well at least a little crazier than normal).

So what to do about these critters, Im about to move my new house and cant stand the though of going through that again.

I have seen these 200USD steam powered zappers developed by Nasa in Home Pro, but how well do they work?

Page_079_Image_0001.jpg

What other methods can I employ in the war against these flying pests?

Edited by quiksilva

The one I have heard of that works best emits CO2 (which attracts the mozzies) and then traps them in a bag to be emptied later. Apparently, this thing really does work.

Mosquito magnet, or mosquito terminator are two brand names. If this thing is one of those then it may be worth the money.

How are they getting into the house? Check all Screens, the tiniest gaps will let them in. Do you have traps on your waste pipes? If you hang washing outside, shake it before bringing it in.

Paint your external door white. Often in the morning mozzies will settle on a dark door as they seek out a dark area. When you open the door in they come. Make sure that there is no gap at the bottom of the door, put draught excluder strip on there.

Eat garlic tablets, Chillies and Marmite. Use Protex cooling talc if you can stand it.

if you have screens on all the doors and windows make sure that they are tight...dem little critters can get in anywhere. A drastic measure is to spray the sleeping area down with Raid (underneath and behind furniture where they like to hide, room corners, etc) then wait fer a bit before retiring. In a logging camp in SE Alaska where the mozzies are as big as small birds we did this in the bunk house and it worked...best to check on yer screens first...

The mosquito magnet really works. it's a shame that they break down all of the time...

We have a Mosquito Magnet and yes they are very trickey to keep running due to gas pressure sensitivity. I paid $200 for it in the US. at Home Pro they're somewhere around B24K. It does work but I would never spend B24K for it.

We use the small electric mats in the bedroom and they work well. Outside, all of the water plants in concrete rings have guppies in them so no problem there. The fish ponds are loaded with the buggers so I also use a fan at sunset when sitting on the patio.

rgds

• 1 month later...
what seems to be the problem with keeping the mossie magnets running. I was thinking of bringing one from Scotland where they've been using the co2 ones for zapping midgies and they work well.

And while were at it ,why do they bite some people and not others ? they hate me ( feeling is mutual ) but they love my 4 year old daughter ( b@stards ) i ate em !