Can anyone explain the concept of a house book to me?

" Are we going to have a difficult time when we arrive? "

No.

Assumption: your wife has an expired Thai ID. So, decide where you want to rent, go to the Amphur for that area and get her ID renewed. Also request to be listed on the general register, as opposed to anyone's house book. 

She will be able to get a bank account, driver's license, buy a car, do whatever. You can do the same, but depending on location, you may need to get a Residence Certificate from Immigration for each such action. 

You should arrive with a Non-Immigrant O visa and plan to obtain a one year extension based on marriage, but that's a whole separate topic. 

When a house has been purchased, there may (depending on the method of ownership) be a blue book with her name on the title page. Her name will also be listed as a registered resident. 

Edited by mahjongguy
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, mahjongguy said:

" Are we going to have a difficult time when we arrive? "

No.

Assumption: your wife has an expired Thai ID. So, decide where you want to rent, go to the Amphur for that area and get her ID renewed. Also request to be listed on the general register, as opposed to anyone's house book. 

She will be able to get a bank account, driver's license, buy a car, do whatever. You can do the same, but depending on location, you may need to get a Residence Certificate from Immigration for each such action. 

You should arrive with a Non-Immigrant O visa and plan to obtain a one year extension based on marriage, but that's a whole separate topic. 

When a house has been purchased, there may (depending on the method of ownership) be a blue book with her name on the title page. Her name will also be listed as a registered resident. 

Thank you very much.

• 11 months later...
On 3/3/2019 at 8:26 AM, NanLaew said:

At the peril of turning this into another 'yellow book is worthless' diatribe, lets just agree that pretty much all the things that need doing at "Banks, Amphur office, electric office, land office or any government offices" can be done WITHOUT a yellow book or pink ID card but some things that need doing at "Banks, Amphur office, electric office, land office or any government offices" can be done quicker and easier WITH a yellow book or pink ID card.

Those that have never had a yellow book or pink ID card won't ever know what can be expedited with a yellow book or pink ID card and no amount of saying otherwise will change that.

This topic is a real source of information for me & my wife (we are non-Thais) .

At the risk of 'topic drift' - we lease a house from a company, which owns it and the land. we have a minority % ownership of the company, to protect our interests. We personally paid to build the house, but had the building permit registered in the company. Not well planned, perhaps. The company was issued with a Blue Book. For the first time in 20 years, IO wants to see a tambien baan that shows the same street address as  is on our lease and is on our visa extension application form.  Do not have it. Got rejected today, IO says deadline is Friday 7th Feb. The Visa actually expires on Feb 12 - but the IO is sticking it to us. any advice, on how to get a tambien baan under these circumstances? I am assuming that if we could get a yellow book it would not satisfy the IO's request. we are in our late 70's and my wife is very worried..so any guidance would be really appreciated. tia.

6 minutes ago, paddypower said:

This topic is a real source of information for me & my wife (we are non-Thais) .

At the risk of 'topic drift' - we lease a house from a company, which owns it and the land. we have a minority % ownership of the company, to protect our interests. We personally paid to build the house, but had the building permit registered in the company. Not well planned, perhaps. The company was issued with a Blue Book. For the first time in 20 years, IO wants to see a tambien baan that shows the same street address as  is on our lease and is on our visa extension application form.  Do not have it. Got rejected today, IO says deadline is Friday 7th Feb. The Visa actually expires on Feb 12 - but the IO is sticking it to us. any advice, on how to get a tambien baan under these circumstances? I am assuming that if we could get a yellow book it would not satisfy the IO's request. we are in our late 70's and my wife is very worried..so any guidance would be really appreciated. tia.

You say that the company was issued with a blue book - that is the Tabien Baan for the property. Do you still have it?

Or am I misunderstanding you?

On 3/2/2019 at 5:41 PM, Odin Norway said:

I'm getting really tired of people saying the yellow book is good for nothing. Yea of course if you have your wife holding you're hand all over the place or you can't do f... all on you're own it don't matter to you, does it?. Banks, Amphur office, electric office, land office or any government offices ask for it.  It is for sure a good thing to have when living in a house alone.

I have to agree with you.  Having the yellow house book and the Pink Non Immigrant ID card has gone a long way for me.  I have opened up new bank accounts in Bangkok using them.  Picked up cards at Makro, Home Pro, started my True account for my condo as well as my telephone, and bought my new car by showing them.  Never once in almost ten years have I had to go to immigration for a certificate of residence,  I think there are some people who just do not want to believe there are benefits to having them.

On 2/4/2020 at 5:55 PM, thedemon said:

You say that the company was issued with a blue book - that is the Tabien Baan for the property. Do you still have it?

Or am I misunderstanding you?

thank you for replying. one of the Thai directors has the blue book. I think there was a misunderstanding. She gave me a copy of her personal (home) tambien baan rather than the company's one. As a result, I presented a photocopy of a tambien baan to IO, which had an address different from my address. The IO said that I must have a paper which shows my name and my home address. Privately, I have been advised to get a yellow book, because a blue book issued to a Thai company does not show any individuals names. Luckily, the Thai director will go to the Ampur, to help me today.

Edited by paddypower
spelling
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, paddypower said:

thank you for replying. one of the Thai directors has the blue book. I think there was a misunderstanding. She gave me a copy of her personal (home) tambien baan rather than the company's one. As a result, I presented a photocopy of a tambien baan to IO, which had an address different from my address. The IO said that I must have a paper which shows my name and my home address. Privately, I have been advised to get a yellow book, because a blue book issued to a Thai company does not show any individuals names. Luckily, the Thai director will go to the Ampur, to help me today.

In a nutshell: passports would have to go to BKK translaation service, as part of getting a yellow book. so I'm not doing that. I've been advised to simply take the company blue book, signed by one Thai director, to IO. tomorrow. also her ID card and her tambien baan. let's see.

Edited by paddypower

2 hours ago, paddypower said:

In a nutshell: passports would have to go to BKK translaation service, as part of getting a yellow book. so I'm not doing that. I've been advised to simply take the company blue book, signed by one Thai director, to IO. tomorrow. also her ID card and her tambien baan. let's see.

Best of luck!

On 3/2/2019 at 5:37 PM, mahjongguy said:

At the Pattaya Land Transport Office, every foreigner must present a residence cert from Immigration in order to buy/sell a vehicle or obtain/renew a driver's license. No exceptions. Been that way for the 13 years that I've lived here.

For that reason I have not bothered to go through the arduous process imposed by City Hall to get a yellow book and pink ID.  

555! Having poo ya ban and another witness turn up on the day,  plus you wife with ID card and house book is arduous!  You funny thing!