Thai Airways says it will stick to ‘rehabilitation plan’ despite 11.6 billion baht loss in 2018

rooster59

Thai Airways says it will stick to ‘rehabilitation plan’ despite 11.6 billion baht loss in 2018

By The Thaiger

Thai-Airways-Suvarnabhumi.jpg

It hasn’t been a good week for Thai Airways as the national airline continues to fly passengers to their original destinations days after flights were cancelled and rescheduled due to Pakistan airspace closures. Even yesterday Thai Airways was reporting a backlog of up to 2,000 passengers they were hoping to clear before the end of this weekend.

Meanwhile, it emerged yesterday that Thai Airways International reported a net loss of 11.6 billion baht compared to a 2.1 billion baht loss the year before.

The airline is putting its increased losses down to higher fuel and repair costs.

Full story: https://thethaiger.com/news/business/thai-airways-says-it-will-stick-to-rehabilitation-plan-despite-11-6-billion-baht-loss-in-2018

thtthaiger.png

-- © Copyright The Thaiger 2019-03-02

there are few things more subsidized, in hundreds of ways,  than the airline business yet these guys can't run a profit even in the midst of an Asian tourism boom.  and that is without even touching on the 'externality' involved in this business... the one that involves the stuff that probably explains why we left the trees 8 million years ago.   say what?  I won't bother responding on that,  but if this is a losing business now, goodness gracious later on.  and not very far along from here... there will be a knee jerk demand by most people that those CORSIA offsets, scheduled for 2027, are not anywhere near enough, even amoung frequent flyers.  count on it.  and these guys are having trouble now?  

Edited by WeekendRaider
  • Like 1

Only flew them once, and only because they had a direct flight from Kathmandu to BKK.  

My normal route is Eastbound (LAX) so they aren't a player anymore.  Even when they were, their prices were higher and the flight came up in results as non-stop.....until you clicked on details and saw there was a stop in Korea.  That persistent glitch was never addressed as far as I recall, which added to my cautionary view of Thailand's general attitude toward workmanship, maintenance, and the often dizzying way the country lurches along.  Wasn't long after they had problems with the FAA and quit the US routes altogether.

https://www.travelcodex.com/thai-airways-cancels-los-angeles-route-ends-35-years-of-serving-north-america/

Edited by 55Jay
  • Like 1

I have not used Thai for many years because i was not satisfied with them but unfortunately  I must

use them again since they are the only airline who operate a direct flight from Perth to Bangkok

last time I used Scoot which was not bad but i don't like to spend to much time waiting for

the connecting flight in Singapore and I was not happy because on the way back to Perth they

refused to check trough my baggage so I had to check out to pick up my baggage and check in

again nearly missing my connecting flight so I have to use Thai ones more

• Thanks 1

Don’t we all hate hearing some clever dick crowing, ‘I told you so.’ Well, listen up . . . When Sumeth, with no airline experience, got the THAI job last September I said I'd give him a year, at best. I predicted he’d be wrongly preoccupied with revenue, as opposed to optimising operational performance, customer satisfaction and departmental efficiency and leaving the revenue streams in the hands of a trusted finance manager, if they haven’t all fled the country by then. September will mark Sumeth’s first year . . . will he still have an airline, let alone a job by then?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Ossy said:

Don’t we all hate hearing some clever dick crowing, ‘I told you so.’ Well, listen up . . . When Sumeth, with no airline experience, got the THAI job last September I said I'd give him a year, at best. I predicted he’d be wrongly preoccupied with revenue, as opposed to optimising operational performance, customer satisfaction and departmental efficiency and leaving the revenue streams in the hands of a trusted finance manager, if they haven’t all fled the country by then. September will mark Sumeth’s first year . . . will he still have an airline, let alone a job by then?

Quote:  " I predicted he’d be wrongly preoccupied with revenue, as opposed to optimising operational performance, customer satisfaction and departmental efficiency and leaving the revenue streams in the hands of a trusted finance manager,... "

Agree, and he twist, he organized for Thai soap operas to be screened on TG flights with a big announcement that everybody wants to see Thai soapies, with rape, violence, denigration of women, etc etc. Wrong focus Mr. Sumeth in terms of customer satisfaction.

Plus who produces these odious programs? The conglomerate he used to work for. 

• Like 1

12.6tb a share from a 24tb a share king ago .I never recall TA making handsome profits for its shareholders but it seems to pay its BOD etc handsomely.

The Entire company is in need of a complete rationalisation program that will take into consideration the replacement of its BOD &Some Sr managers without any golden handshakes. 

• Like 1

Rehabilitation tip #1. Offer competitive prices.

Tip #2. Make sure your staff is friendly, like most of Thailand.

Tip #3. Try to make sure bags do not take 30 minutes or longer to arrive on the belts.

Tip #4. Sell the airline to a private company, so it can be run properly. 

Tip #5. Upgrade your equipment more often. Clean and new sells.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

The airline industry in general is hard, they work on tiny margins.

That being said, most airlines in the world have been quite profitable over the last 10 years. It took bankruptcy to shake up the US airlines in the 2000's to adopt a profitable model.

Yet TG has racked up losses for years

TG's problem, it's a playground for ex military pilots, and a toy for elite's. It's not a real business at all.

More like a vanity project...'Oooh SG have a A380, gotta have me one of those'

They might as well just accept the fact of what it is, or just shut it down

Quote: "TG's problem, it's a playground for ex military pilots, and a toy for elite's. It's not a real business at all.

More like a vanity project...'Oooh SG have a A380, gotta have me one of those'".

Reminds me of decades ago when they were hit with "Thai is a just a hi-so social club and nothing more"  The masses agreed.

And, decades back they were receiving numerous serious complaints from customers hitting the headlines about the attitudes and on-the job behaviours of their check-in staff and especially their cabin crew.

On TV news a senior executive made an announcement: 'Yes we know there have been some complaints but we have answer: 'We're going to get new uniforms'.

They lost the plot more than 2 decades ago and it just gets worse.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, White Christmas13 said:

I have not used Thai for many years because i was not satisfied with them but unfortunately  I must

use them again since they are the only airline who operate a direct flight from Perth to Bangkok

last time I used Scoot which was not bad but i don't like to spend to much time waiting for

the connecting flight in Singapore and I was not happy because on the way back to Perth they

refused to check trough my baggage so I had to check out to pick up my baggage and check in

again nearly missing my connecting flight so I have to use Thai ones more

I have just got an email from AM Travel in Perth letting us know that w.e.f. 1st April the check in allowance on Perth to Bangkok will be cut from 30 Kg to 20 Kg.  we lost the 787 on this route and now they are cutting the baggage allowance on an old A330.  Back to the old days !  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

It is pretty much a microcosm of the entire country; poorly run and mismanaged, poor value for money, dubious ethical practices, questionable safety, low standards of service and used by an elite few to skim off the top.

????????????????????

4 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

To illustrate their ineptitude, think about this.

Can't remember which incoming CEO it was. But he recognized that A380 just wasn't an aircraft suited to TG route structure. 

So he tried to cancel. Problem was, their crack negotiating team had signed a contract with cancellation terms so onerous they had to take the aircraft.

The A340-500's which still sit out at DMK. They are practically worthless, yet several years ago they did get an offer, yet because it was lower than what they had them on the books for, they didn't take it. 

So now they just sit there depreciating year after year.

It's a joke of a company

I think there are 9 A-340’s left because the government bought one for PM to use. They should not be allowed to purchase new planes until they sell the old ones. A bigger problem though is that they are in dire need of a CEO who is from the airline industry and has turnaround experience but he would have to have a free hand to make big changes.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Searat7 said:

I think there are 9 A-340’s left because the government bought one for PM to use. They should not be allowed to purchase new planes until they sell the old ones. A bigger problem though is that they are in dire need of a CEO who is from the airline industry and has turnaround experience but he would have to have a free hand to make big changes.

Well that's the problem.

You could get Fernades from Air Asia as CEO, but his hands would be so tied, he couldn't make the structural changes needed to turn it around.

Real airlines go into bankruptcy (Chapter 11 in the US), then restructure their business to make themselves profitable.

TG is more akin to shuffling the deckchairs on the Titanic

• Like 1