Primary School Recommendation in Bangkok?

Hi all,

I am thinking about relocating from Isaan to Bangkok. Looking for a primary school recommendation for my daughter. She is, of course, mixed race.

Her English is good. No need for an English program, but if it is affordable wouldn't mind.

I am happy to pay for the education, but can't afford an arm and a leg. I currently pay about 30,000 a year. I would be quite happy to pay double, may be able to afford triple that amount.

I understand education ain't amazing in Thailand and I am not expecting miracles, I know it also depends on the individual. My kid is actually very diligent and focused; she could probably do well at most schools.

My concern is more about finding a school that she loves to go to everyday, a place where she fits in. At her current school, all the kids are happy and love it. The education ain't brilliant, but competative in the city we live in. It would be hard to choose a better school without leaving our province.

Anyway...parents, teachers, any recommendations?

• 3 weeks later...

I think the question equally is how good is her Thai? If she can perform in Thai subjects and is a good student...

I'd first recommend Mater Dei. Second would be St Joesph's although you need to scrutinize the programs. Assumption Convent. Sacred Heart, Klong Toei is okay K-6 only imo. I'd throw in Wattana Wittayalai but she will have to board there.

Mater Dei is the best of this lot. Both it and wwa have strong alumni and parents associations.

Satit Chula as well.

I think you're not going to get much for 30k. Maybe try SJC and SHC. Have the wife go, you stay out of it at least till you have the costs.

I'd really impress upon you to try for Mater Dei. It's where the elite of Thailand send their daughters and the teaching is decent. The best kids have shots at entertaining top HS at M4 like Triam Udom Suksa, Pathumwan Demonstration and Samsen Wittayalai. 

Even if she stays on past me it's possible for her to make it into Chulalongkorn, Thammasat or Mahidol although many M6rs just shoot for Srinkarinwirot.

WWA is much the same story, just not quite as top tier as MD. Primary section I doubt is boarding come to think of it and might be affordable. I'd pick wear over SJC and SHC but Mater Dei first. Also if she continues M1 she will board $$

All k-12 and decent schools but personally wouldn't recommend SHC beyond P6.

I think many if not all gave fees on their websites.

On 3/24/2019 at 8:13 PM, lucky2008 said:

HI Number Six! 

Is Mater Dei a bilingual school and do they also have a Kindergarden? What the approximate cost per year? 

Mater Dei is not bilingual. Nor am I aware of any EP program. English is taught only a few hours per week. There are also French and Chinese classes. No idea about the costs. Yes, they school K-12. Nice campus city center.

Wattana Wittayalai is also a very solid school and Sacred Heart should be at least ok for this age group. None are bilingual. Try Amnuay Silpa $$

Thanks for that, good to know. He can try the religious schools then they have to be much less.

To my knowledge all have kindergarten and should be far less than 300k. That's obscene for non international school kinder.

Mater Dei

Wattana Wittayalai

Saint Joesph's Convent

Assumption Convent

Satit Chula

Maybe some Demonstration schools have kindergarten as well.

Montessori is way outside city center. There's a new school down off Pattanakarn I think. Tons of primary schools now really. It's not my thing, I'm a secondary school teacher.

Archived