VPN

salavan

This is a good question but free VPNs may not be the most secure. Also keep in mind many U.S. financial institutions can detect VPN logins, they don't like that, and you might still have a problem. 

Not directly related to your question, but interesting current VPN info --

Do You Trust Your VPN? Are You Sure?

Virtual private networks are now a must-have privacy tool. But good luck figuring out which ones will actually make you safer.

https://slate.com/technology/2019/02/best-vpn-companies-trust-privacy.html

Edited by Jingthing

12 minutes ago, salavan said:

I want to hide my ip address from my home country bank nothing more than that

If you want to hide your Ip adress from the the bank at home, you'll need to subscribe to a paid VPN. Then you can chose what country you're pretending to be in. Free is crap, avoid.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Vacuum said:

If you want to hide your Ip adress from the the bank at home, you'll need to subscribe to a paid VPN. Then you can chose what country you're pretending to be in. Free is crap, avoid.

Any idea of the cost 

11 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

I have used PIA for last few years at $39.95 per year.  Very reliable with 3,270 servers in 33 countries.

Have you been using it successfully for U.S. financial institution logins? If so, can you specify the city in the U.S.? 

12 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Same question -

I'll assume you wanted to ask me the same question.

The answer is no as I'm a Brit. no issues with UK banks (but I never had a problem logging in from outside the UK anyway).

Plenty of servers in the US

Untitled-1.jpg

20 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Have you been using it successfully for U.S. financial institution logins? If so, can you specify the city in the U.S.? 

Have not required so just use my normal Singapore connection for USAA and !st Bank and Chase and MINT.

'Browsec' is free and is easily downloaded. You get a choice of 4 free countries. All the rest are subscription. Been using 'Browsec' for years never a problem. Don't listen to the doom forecasters.

Browsec to the rescue! Browsec encrypts your traffic and routes it through our secure cloud network. No one will be able to identify, track you or sniff your traffic. ...Browsec is a Chrome/Firefox extension. It is an advanced analog of ZenMate, Stealthy, Hola and friGate.

Edited by Rally123
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I always and only use VPN connections for every single one of my financial account log-ins... And have done so consistently for many years.... And never had a problem doing so with any bank or CU..  Though there are quite a few U.S. entities (more the local ones in my experience) that blanket block any attempt to log-in from a non U.S. IP address....

But in general, what banks and other like to see is some consistency in where you're logging in from...  If one day their system shows a U.S. login and the next day it shows a Thailand log-in, some financial security systems get suspicious that the person's account has been compromised. It's best to find a log-in approach/location that works and stick with it, particularly in terms of origin country.

8 hours ago, Vacuum said:

Not true. But which is the OP's home country. 

Ridiculous when people want advice but fail to reveal important details.

I have logged into my local Credit Union, Bank of America, TRowe Price, Ameriprise, Chase, Citi-Card and American Express accounts over the last 4 years and never needed a VPN. As long as I answer correctly the security questions associated with my account or verify an email sent code, there is never a problem. If I have concerns and what to hide my actual ISP, I use either Opera or Avast Secure Browser.

20 hours ago, KneeDeep said:

Not true. But which is the OP's home country. 

Ridiculous when people want advice but fail to reveal important details.

Don't want to give too many details remember big brother is watching you. 

And just because your paranoid don'tean they are not out to get you

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, salavan said:

England 

If you are only going to use it for banking and other less bandwidth hogging sites then try Windscribe - https://windscribe.com/ 

It is free up to a varying usage level per month depending on whether you register or not. I haven't bothered and still more than enough to access my UK financial and other sites. 

Not however if you want to download/stream movies.

Has reasonable ratings on most review sites.