Expats in Thailand considering moving to Latin America prompted by Thai visa changes

Jingthing

12 hours ago, colinneil said:

Well Simon i fit the last 2, anger and high blood pressure.

Which 1 are you?

Ha ha, none of them actually, but I hate to see useful threads like this derailed.  Forum rules don't allow me to pass comment on moderation of this forum, so I will keep my thoughts about it to myself....

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Is anyone interested in music ?

Latin American music is quite nice IMO and listening to music a hobby of mine.

I am not interested in sports, other than major bicycle racing, far prefer listening to music, watching music videos etc.

Link to a site describing the different styles of Latin America music.

https://www.liveabout.com/traditional-latin-american-music-2141072

• Like 1

5 hours ago, seasia said:

Hi Simon

Sadly you are 100 % right with your description.

I do not know of any other board like it for abuse/trolls etc.

At least 3 if not more posters who do not have any interest in LATAM alternatives but come on here seeking to disrupt an excellent topic.

It also happens on other threads.

Still, JT has managed to keep his cool and provided some great info.

Colombia holds the greatest interest for me within the region ( although also am interested in 2 or 3 countries in another region )

I already have a fair idea of which Colombian towns/cities I would probably enjoy.

I will list them another time, still getting over long travel/jet lag and minor illness.

Out of Thailand for now and almost sure I will spend less time there in future.

Shame in a way after 10 years of living there and a prior 10 years of happy visits.

People change/places change.

Good Luck to all those who either are relocating or simply looking for change.

Decisions can be difficult and change stressful.

What you fail to realize is your post above is wildly off topic.  But your criticism and off topic post is tolerated because it is anti Thai. If you want to keep the topic viable post try posting on topic.  Are you an "Expat in Thailand considering moving to Latin America prompted by Thai visa changes"

Is anyone interested in music ?

Latin American music is quite nice IMO and listening to music a hobby of mine.

Very much so.  When I was a young teen in the UK, my dad bought me a short wave radio.  I used to listen to local stations from Peru and Bolivia in the wee small hours, playing beautiful Andean pan pipe music ????

• Like 1

So Colombia is sliding backwards?

Probably so. 

Do such things really matter to most expats that aren't journalists critical of the government or 

traveling to or living in conflict zones?

It would be better if it wasn't, but maybe this is a dark reality, but I think, usually not except in extreme cases like Venezuela, whether the current government of a country is left or right at the current time. 

Also Thailand has conflict zones that expats generally don't move to and we don't need to discuss the political situation here for dissidents. 

Journalist finally brings attackers to justice but warns: 'Colombia's sliding backwards'

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/jun/16/colombia-journalist-threats-violence

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Keithmovieman said:

Very difficult to go and live in a country where the bum gun is not standard operating procedure in the toilet, once you used to it.

So take one with you and plumb it into your bathroom - or use the spray on the kitchen tap that you use to wash the dishes ????

On 6/21/2019 at 6:21 AM, simon43 said:

Sadly, this forum is populated by trolls, idiots, mentally ill posters, fools, those with split personalities, those with anger and extreme high blood pressure etc etc.

Don't be so hard on yourself......

• Like 1

On 6/12/2019 at 6:34 AM, wisperone said:

What happened to the Portugal/Europe thread...did that die on the vine?

LOL.  It was a rebadged version of this thread, along with a few other "Let's all go somewhere" fake news threads.  Same trolling nonsense, but you will be told to go somewhere else if you post a divergent opinion.????

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

This topic is limited to consideration of Latin American destinations and Thailand expat specific issues relating to that. Please respect that focus. If Latin American destinations have no interest to you this thread is not for you either.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

47% of New Mexico is Hispanic.  14 million Hispanics in California.  70% of Miami is Hispanic.  Texas and major portions of USA used to be part of Mexico.  

Looking at geography, language and food you might want to make a few exceptions.   

Edited by marcusarelus
  • Haha 1

Some off topic and possibly baiting remarks removed.

This topic clearly has interest and value or it wouldnt have reached 96 pages.

If the topic is of no interest to you, move on, do not try to bait the OP or divert the topic please from its intended path and discussion as clearly outlined in the title.

Thank you.

9) You will not post inflammatory messages on the forum, or attempt to disrupt discussions to upset its participants, or trolling. Trolling can be defined as the act of purposefully antagonizing other people on the internet by posting controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, marcusarelus said:

47% of New Mexico is Hispanic.  14 million Hispanics in California.  70% of Miami is Hispanic.  Texas and major portions of USA used to be part of Mexico.  

Looking at geography, language and food you might want to make a few exceptions.   

Moving to the USA (not a Latin American nations) is clearly not included in this topic. Most expats in Thailand doing that would be Americans repatriating. That's a different topic  -- repatriating. The USA has no retirement visa for foreigners. Also the USA is a high cost nation. Of course some foreigners will be interested in going there on work visas, seeing family reunification immigration, etc. But it's clearly not really on the theme here. Westerners generally seeking relatively lower cost nations from their home countries.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

Thailand vs. Colombia?

I'm posting this because it's both on topic and for entertainment value. I find both the interviewer and interviewee rather unpleasant (they're probably Thaivisa members, ha ha) but the guy eating the mush has spent time in both Thailand and Colombia. So he gives his subjective opinions.

I don't think they need to worry about being contacted by the Colombia tourism authority to do their next promo. 

Reading the comments on this video is probably the best part.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zj2KqT-m-H8

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

Every country has it's quirks including maturely developed "first world" ones. But I have been surprised to learn that the Colombian post office (such as it is) is apparently quite strange. A harrowing recent enough (2017) story of sending a letter, just a letter not a package, OUT of Colombia. I have read that such things can take months to arrive, if ever. Is it always this bad at every 472 office in Colombia? That I can't say but such things should be of concern to Americans needing to send out time sensitive "proof of life" Social Security letters either annually or semiannually (not sure which rule for Colombia) assuming you get the letter in the first place.

Yes this makes the Thai post office system look excellent in comparison. I did need to show my passport the other day just to mail a letter, but that was relatively painless. 

I have been living in Colombia, on and off, for the past three years.  During this time, my experience has been mostly enjoyable, being in such a diverse country where there is a huge variety of landscapes, scenery, climate and culture, and with some of the friendliest people in South America.  However, there is one blot on the landscape: Bureaucracy.

http://www.colombia-politics.com/colombiapostalnightmare/

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Thailand vs. Colombia?

I'm posting this because it's both on topic and for entertainment value. I find both the interviewer and interviewee rather unpleasant (they're probably Thaivisa members, ha ha) but the guy eating the mush has spent time in both Thailand and Colombia. So he gives his subjective opinions.

I don't think they need to worry about being contacted by the Colombia tourism authority to do their next promo. 

Reading the comments on this video is probably the best part.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zj2KqT-m-H8

I watched it. Also took a fairly quick dislike to the interviewee, was going to give up just 3 minutes thru but did manage to watch to the end. He comes across as rather "full of himself "

Yes, the comments were good , as was your dry wit with your own post comments.

Yes entertaining.

• Thanks 1

Hi

I came across a "world climates " site. Many about I am sure.

I thought this was good with regard to various areas/cities in Colombia, fair amount of detail.

On a personal basis I like warmth, sunshine and not too much rain whether visiting somewhere or hanging my hat for a while.Not high humidity though.

https://www.climatestotravel.com/climate/colombia

• Like 1

Stickman covered it.

Some of this info is inaccurate and or dated particularly visas and costs as the peso has weakened but overall worth a read I think.

Colombia As An Alternative To Thailand

https://www.stickmanbangkok.com/readers-submissions/2017/03/colombia-as-an-alternative-to-thailand/

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 2

another observation if i may. colombia is like a 2nd world country emerging into 1st world. cities often resemble european cities in terms of architecture and design. 

below is very normal fashion preview on daytime tv talk show.  caracol is one of the major tv networks

Edited by atyclb
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, atyclb said:

another observation if i may. colombia is like a 2nd world country emerging into 1st world. cities often resemble european cities in terms of architecture and design. 

Yes I have seen Colombia overall described that way before -- 2nd world. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jingthing said:

That video should do wonders for the "viewership" here. :post-4641-1156694572:Why is the host ignoring the models? 

lol, here the government threatens the car show girls to beware if they even dress skimpy sexy

Edited by atyclb
  • Like 1