Security guards, employers protest new licence regulation outside Government House

snoop1130

Security guards, employers protest new licence regulation outside Government House

By The Nation

0964f6051fb23c425b556bea51d69890.jpeg

HUNDREDS of security guards and their employers gathered outside the Government House Gate 5 on Monday, calling for help as they were affected by the Security Business Act B.E. 2558 (2015) that came into full effect from on Monday.

The new law aims to regulate and raise the standard of security service companies and security guards to ensure increased public safety. It requires a security guard to be a Thai national, age over 18, not addicted to alcohol or drugs and never convicted of a sex charge. Guards must also obtain a licence to work, which will be valid for three years and extendable after an assessment of their past performance.

The demonstrators held protest signs that declared many of them would be out of work under the new law, as they had not yet been able to obtain work licences.

If the guards work without meeting the requirements, they could face a charge of serving as a security guard without permission, punishable by up to three months in jail and/or a maximum Bt5,000 in fine. Their employers could face the charge of hiring unlicensed guards, punishable by up to six months in jail and/or a maximum Bt10,000 fine.

Under this law, the owners of security-guard businesses are required to obtain a renewable operating licence valid for four years, or face a maximum of one year in jail and/or a maximum Bt20,000 fine.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30365163

thenation_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation 2019-03-04

• Like 1

it requires a security guard to be a Thai national, age over 18, not addicted to alcohol or drugs and never convicted of a sex charge. Guards much also obtain a licence to work, which will be valid for three years and extendable after an assessment of their past performance.

Oh dear, naughty Somchai is going to be in trouble on this one. :giggle:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

So basically they are trying to raise the price of having security guards.  

We had some crappy security guards and didn't need the government to fix the problem.  The home owners got together and found a better company.  Problem solved.  Market forces work, government forces dont.  

Security guards and employers up in arms

By THE NATION

447e2c745b88f0c022484337a3e65f1b.jpeg

HUNDREDS of security guards and their employers gathered outside the Government House gate yesterday, calling for help as they were affected by the Security Business Act BE 2558 (2015) that came into full effect yesterday.

d2899472c178a2185ab3fa855fb5752a.jpeg

The new law aims to regulate and raise the standard of security service companies and security guards to ensure increased public safety. It requires a security guard to be a Thai national, aged over 18, not addicted to alcohol or drugs and never convicted of a sex charge. Guards much also obtain a licence to work, which will be valid for three years and can be extended after an assessment of their past performance.

The demonstrators held protest signs that declared many of them would be out of work under the new law, as they had not yet been able to obtain work licences. 

If the guards work without meeting the requirements, they could face a charge of serving as a security guard without permission, punishable by up to three months in jail and/or a maximum Bt5,000 fine. Their employers could face the charge of hiring unlicensed guards, punishable by up to six months in jail and/or a maximum Bt10,000 fine.

Under this law, the owners of security-guard businesses are required to obtain a renewable operating licence valid for four years, or face a maximum of one year in jail and/or a maximum Bt20,000 fine.

90e93a73b7cb4ce420dfee0487cc1550.jpeg

The Royal Thai Police, as registrars in this matter, had previously asked the companies and guards to register with Metropolitan Police Bureau or the respective provincial police chiefs by February 26, undergo a criminal background check, attend certified training (covering basic security-service law and basic security maintenance and including a 40-hour practice component) and obtain the required licences by March 3. 

According to the security service business association, about half of Thailand’s current 400,000 security guards nationwide would be affected by the law, due to their failure to secure the licence after falling short of the 40-hour practice requirement. 

The association had discussed its concerns with related agencies, including the PM’s Office, the Royal Thai Police, the Labour Ministry and the Social Development and Human Security Ministry in search of solutions. As a result, police were asked to check if there was any room for a grace period to enable those who had not yet completed the 40-hour practice to keep their jobs.

After the National Legislative Assembly passed the bill in August 2015 and the law came into effect on March 4, 2016, Prime Minister General Prayut Chan-o-cha in November 2016 invoked the all-powerful Article 44 of the interim charter to postpone the implementation date and also amended sections including the educational requirement.

The requirement that guards “must complete Mathayom 3 and above” was replaced with “must complete a compulsory education at the time of graduation”, which enabled old guards with Prathom 4 to continue working.

The law was supposed to come into full effect starting February 26 this year, but it was delayed until yesterday to allow completion of the security guard training.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30365183

thenation_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation 2019-03-05

7 hours ago, Orton Rd said:

will there be a rules against them sleeping half the night, feeding soi dogs and not noticing burglars walking off with half the water meters from several sois? (happened to us)

just  about  sums  them  up  100% although they should ad  in a  "heel  clicking test" to add  real competence

Edited by kannot

8 hours ago, Orton Rd said:

will there be a rules against them sleeping half the night, feeding soi dogs and not noticing burglars walking off with half the water meters from several sois? (happened to us)

No

That's just some of the perks of the job. 

No request for physical fitness? How many of them can run 100 meters, or climb the stairs to the 4th floor in less than 4 minutes? At my apartment complex 75% of them wouldn't pass the test because they are either too fat, or too old.

d2899472c178a2185ab3fa855fb5752a.jpeg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chang_paarp said:

If the people who are currently employed as security guards cannot pass the the test required to get the licence you have to question the their usefulness as security guards in the first place. It is not as if the requirements are onerous, maybe they should go and compete with the Cambodians for the jobs on building sites.

It is very easy blaming the security guards about not passing tests, but IMO the onus should be on the ones employing them (the actual security companies) and on the government providing the testing facilities. I didn't see any mention about how many of these 'certified' locations there are.

Security guards while employed by these security companies go where they are told; it is up to the employing companies to provide instructions to the employed members towards this training. IMO, again, it shouldn't be up to the individual in the case of being currently employed.

• Like 2

And stupidity strikes again.

not about being licensed but the stupid punishment and requirements .

how they plan to confirm if guard is an alcoholic or not? 

How about giving 6 months for guards to obtain license from the implementation of the law?

28 minutes ago, chrisinth said:

It is very easy blaming the security guards about not passing tests, but IMO the onus should be on the ones employing them (the actual security companies) and on the government providing the testing facilities. I didn't see any mention about how many of these 'certified' locations there are.

Security guards while employed by these security companies go where they are told; it is up to the employing companies to provide instructions to the employed members towards this training. IMO, again, it shouldn't be up to the individual in the case of being currently employed.

It is not all about the security guards. The companies that hire them are being forced to improve the quality of their staff, this will result in higher wages for qualified staff, this what the companies are worried about. The guards may be expected to stay awake, and do more than blow a whistle.

If this keeps up the companies may even have to accept responsibility for service are hired to provide. ????

13 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

HUNDREDS of security guards and their employers gathered outside the Government House Gate 5 on Monday, calling for help as they were affected by the Security Business Act B.E. 2558 (2015) that came into full effect from on Monday.

I'm not sure of the legislative process here but the Act was dated 2015.  I could be wrong, it happens a lot according to my wife, but if the Act was dated 2015 both sides have had 3-4 years to be aware of the implications and plan (????) accordingly?

• Like 1

My moobaan association here in Bangkok switched to a new security guard company yesterday/4 March due to this law...and of course the security company they had been using did not meet the laws requirements.   And based on a LINE post from our moonbeam association yesterday it was because some of the guards the company had employed did not have the required license.   Around 12 guards were affected in the swapout.

Edited by Pib

1 hour ago, animalmagic said:

I'm not sure of the legislative process here but the Act was dated 2015.  I could be wrong, it happens a lot according to my wife, but if the Act was dated 2015 both sides have had 3-4 years to be aware of the implications and plan (????) accordingly?

The Nation article talks how portions of the law were delayed multiple times to give security companies and guards more time to meet the requirements.  Passed in Aug 15 to go into effect Mar 16....and then delay after delay was granted by the govt.  Will be interesting to see if the govt grants another delay....I will not be surprised in the least if they do grant another delay....6 months sounds good....then they can do that again and again and....

After the National Legislative Assembly passed the bill in August 2015 and the law came into effect on March 4, 2016...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Before I moved to Thailand I did a lot of contract work for G4S, not as a guard, I was developing and building custom physical security solutions for both physical protection and cash handling. So when I came here I applied for a job at G4S, and even as I had a letter of recommendation from G4S's CEO (G4S is a "small" company with 570,000 employees worldwide, so to get a letter from the CEO is not that easy...) addressed to the Thai office, the answer was "Only Thai people!".
I guess that's because they just want these uneducated "healclickers" and are not interested in real security here in Thailand.

The powers that be forgot the most important thing, No Criminal Record

As it is most are hired after getting out of prison.

Just what everyone needs, a guard with connections to dispose of your valuables before you return home from a night out.

Talk about lunatics running the asylum :whistling: