Motorcycles on the sidewalk: Bangkok traffic cops get 200,000 baht in fines in one hour

webfact

Motorcycles on the sidewalk: Bangkok traffic cops get 200,000 baht in fines in one hour

6pm.jpg

Picture: Daily News

Thong Lor police said that they stopped and fined 206 motorcyclists in one hour for using the sidewalk in front of Terminal 21 shopping center in Asoke. 

The cops teamed up with Wattana area tessakit and Department of Land Transport officials to do something about the menace of bikes on the sidewalks on Tuesday. 

Pol Maj Nitthithorn Jintakanon said they had received lots of complaints hence the crackdown. 

He said each rider was fined 1,000 baht netting 206,000 baht in just one hour of activity. 

He promised continued action on this matter. 

Source: Daily News

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-03-06

Great start in the right direction. Now to make it a nation wide thing and get the BiB doing something proactive to alleviate this nuisance then, maybe give em a percentage of the fines rather than the backhanders they rely on to supplement their poor wages.

they dont seem to chase unpaid fines,when i lived in Phra Khanon  i had someone using my address, driving a blue FORD pick up, he had been caught 3 times for various offences, i had a lot of hassle (did not even have a driving licence at that time) my agent went to the cop shop (for the third time) to explain, he came back saying, * you want to see the stack of unpaid fine folders on this guys desk* the cop at the desk admitted its too much hassle to chase every lawbreaker, they probably do this just to show they are on top of the situation, just to appease public outcry, there were big signs all along rama 4,but they took no notice, i bet they could take half a million in one day, just on that stretch of pavement, (including one cop) lol

27 minutes ago, bdenner said:

Great start in the right direction. Now to make it a nation wide thing and get the BiB doing something proactive to alleviate this nuisance then, maybe give em a percentage of the fines rather than the backhanders they rely on to supplement their poor wages.

They already get a cut of the fines...

7 minutes ago, Just1Voice said:

To hell with fines!  IDIOTS have been warned for years!  Confiscate and impound the bike, with a TEN THOUSAND Baht recovery fee.  Maybe, just maybe, something good will happen. 

I often think it is the only workable method

1 hour ago, hotchilli said:

Why not revoke their licences if found on the pavements, now they pay the fine & go straight back to work!!

Licences? …….. They have licences? ……. Nice.

Here in Khon Kaen licences seem to be nothing more than an optional extra, if you're a local that is.

But on a more serious note. Just take the bikes or set up a payment desk like they do with the traffic stops up here. No payment no leaving.

4 hours ago, mercman24 said:

they dont seem to chase unpaid fines,when i lived in Phra Khanon  i had someone using my address, driving a blue FORD pick up, he had been caught 3 times for various offences, i had a lot of hassle (did not even have a driving licence at that time) my agent went to the cop shop (for the third time) to explain, he came back saying, * you want to see the stack of unpaid fine folders on this guys desk* the cop at the desk admitted its too much hassle to chase every lawbreaker, they probably do this just to show they are on top of the situation, just to appease public outcry, there were big signs all along rama 4,but they took no notice, i bet they could take half a million in one day, just on that stretch of pavement, (including one cop) lol

Just another pointless PR exercise. The cops know they won't pay the fine, the drivers know they won't be chased for payment and the public also know that as well. Like so many things in Thailand, it is all done for show and nothing actually happens. Properly dealing with any problem means actually doing some work and, as your agent was told, working is too much hassle.

HELLO...................Anyone in the Cop department think of putting some patrols out for speeders and drunk drivers?   Geez...............driving on sidewalks I'm sure kills a lot more people than the idiots out trying to kill the rest of us every day!!!!!

9 hours ago, bdenner said:

The traffic police currently get 50% of all fines paid, and this also goes for fines paid on the spot. They don't keep all the bribe money they get, it gets distributed the same way ticket fine money gets distributed. If they did try to keep it all, they'd end up directing morning traffic on some street corner.

To hell with fines!  IDIOTS have been warned for years!  Confiscate and impound the bike, with a TEN THOUSAND Baht recovery fee.  Maybe, just maybe, something good will happen. 

That is good for a first offense. For the third offensce put the bike through one of those industrial grinders and return it FREE as metallic bits in a plastic bag they can make payments to the bank for

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But why is it so difficult to make them pay anyway? You get their name and address from the Id, so its real and they have one week to pay. If not, then go to prison.
I remember this guy in the UK, who was fined but didnt want to pay. Instead, being the funny guy he is, he took a photo of the cash that was the equivalent of the fine he was supposed to pay and sent the photo to the cops. The cops took a photo of their handcuffs and sent it to him. Next day he paid. Thats it.

1 hour ago, A1Str8 said:

But why is it so difficult to make them pay anyway? You get their name and address from the Id, so its real and they have one week to pay. If not, then go to prison.
I remember this guy in the UK, who was fined but didnt want to pay. Instead, being the funny guy he is, he took a photo of the cash that was the equivalent of the fine he was supposed to pay and sent the photo to the cops. The cops took a photo of their handcuffs and sent it to him. Next day he paid. Thats it.

Too lazy 

Archived