Why is there so much anger in Thailand?

4 minutes ago, pr9spk said:

Precisely. The issue is not about the UK, it's about having such a basic level of education that you know where countries are, and can understand that Thailand is neither the only country in the world nor is it the centre of the universe.

If I took a globe to my neighbours in the UK and said "where is Brazil?", I know 100% they could point it out. In Thailand, there is a very, very slim chance someone would be able to get it right.

I don't understand why some posters are trying to tie in your comment with the "angry Thai" subject? It had nothing to do with that, it was about people being unaware of where on the map other countries are. It's not just Thailand, some people live quite happily all their lives with no interest or curiosity about anything more than a 20km radius from their home. I'm here for a fraction of time and I want to see as many interesting places as possible in this world before I leave it ... I suspect most TV aficionados are a great deal more adventurous than the average person in their respective countries ... except of course those that are here exclusively for sex and beer.

It's because useful discussions often veer off-course. We've moved from angry Thais beating and murdering each other, and committing crimes, to comparing this conception to Western countries, and realising that even though Thailand, like any country still has crime, it's unlikely to be as bad as some Western countries and very unlikely to involve you as a guest.

But the concept that Buddhists, and Thai people in general, withhold negative emotions until it has reached a certain boiling point, in which they are explosively released, is the key to this ideas of this thread.

Edited by pr9spk
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, pr9spk said:

It's because useful discussions often veer off-course. We've moved from angry Thais beating and murdering each other, and committing crimes, to comparing this conception to Western countries, and realising that even though Thailand, like any country still has crime, it's unlikely to be as bad as some Western countries and very unlikely to involve you as a guest.

But the concept that Buddhists, and Thai people in general, withhold negative emotions until it has reached a certain boiling point, in which they are explosively released, is the key to this ideas of this thread.

Defended yourself with aplomb there old chap

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

"Thailand is supposed to be the land of smiles, of peaceful Buddhists."

Who "supposed" it to be so?

The Tourist Authority of Thailand?

Childish delusion to believe (and expect Thailand to live up to) what is nothing more than a myth repeatedly propagated in tourist advertising campaigns.

Because that is not what it, or any of the other surrounding "Buddhist" countries, is, ever was, ever were,

The region is steeped in the blood of centuries.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pr9spk said:

did you not hear about the indian tourist who got killed by stray bullets from an ak47 and 3 other tourists injured? or the drunk off duty cop who shot and killed a french man?, the brithish millionaire and his thai wife killed by hitman for only 50,000 baht? and the american who got stabbed to death this week or last week, nothing in english news ofc.

is that why majority of European countries har around 0.5 - 1.5 in murder rate while thailand has 4 - 6 in murder rate per 100,000 people.

and gun murder rate in European countries 0.04 - 1 gun murders per 100,000 people while thailand has 4.45 gun murders per 100,000 people.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Enoon said:

"Thailand is supposed to be the land of smiles, of peaceful Buddhists."

Who "supposed" it to be so?

The Tourist Authority of Thailand?

Childish delusion to believe (and expect Thailand to live up to) what is nothing more than a myth repeatedly propagated in tourist advertising campaigns.

Because that is not what it, or any of the other surrounding "Buddhist" countries, is, ever was, ever were,

The region is steeped in the blood of centuries.

But it does seem a few expat living here still buy into the myth

• Like 2

7 hours ago, ballpoint said:

It sure is violent. 70 million Thais get bashed on this forum about every 5 minutes.

7 hours ago, brokenbone said:

not violent, but tedious as hell

If Thai behaviour were not so bad no one would bash em.

7 hours ago, BestB said:

Thai culture is the reason . Taught from childhood to conceal your feelings and hide anger .

eventually too much bottles up and then explodes.

on top of that I also think pure stupidity not being able to think of the consequences, nor ability to accept responsibility.

I'd agree 100 per cent.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Why is it like this?

I'll add to as said already, same in other countries just look at London, Thailand is not alone.

Edited by Kwasaki

1 hour ago, YogaVeg said:

Utter rubbish. 98.6% of these statistics are complete nonsense ????

While I don't doubt that 90% of Marcus's anger comes from not being able to afford sex, I bet 90% of Americans have never/would never use prostitution services.

Well if 50% of americans are male, then at least 25% and probably more have engaged in pay for play of some sort ... and possibly more. That's why it's been around for so long.

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Where have you read of other road users in London being attacked with guns, baseball bats and machetes? And I never suggested that Thailand is alone. This is a forum about Thailand. What happens elsewhere is irrelevant to this thread.

Well I don't think you should just single out Thailand don't be in deniled it don't happen elsewhere.

An armed motorist who murdered one car passenger and seriously wounded another in a "chilling" case of "road rage taken to its extremes", was jailed for life yesterday.

Lee Gardiner a father-of-one from Tottenham, north London, told his victims "I've got something nice for you" before gunning them down on Bank Holiday Monday in May last year.

He shot the first one in the face, fracturing his jaw, and then pumped two bullets into the head of a second man, killing him instantly.

London Police furious as zombie knife road rage attacker gets off with a suspended sentence after carrying an enormous blade on a busy south London road then launch the furious attack.

Judge let him walk free all because he was once bundled into a car, and threatened with a gun because of a drug related incident.

Because all events are categorized as 'news' (Durian daughter, ECT) and any moron with a mobile phone and FB account is now an on scene reporter to beam events to your wondering eyes and ears.

Just now, bender92 said:

The media make the most of every little crime so that fools will keep reading it.

..and the same fools amaze their fellow muppets by regurgitation of these events.

Fool #1: "Did you hear about the man attacked with a hammer?"

Muppet #1: "Yes, I get neat alerts on my phone of everything that is happening'

Welsh James: "Did you do your 90 day residency yet?"

Fool and Muppet: "No, we were too busy worrying about everyone else to take care of ourselves." (In unison)

Welsh James: *sighs and takes another pull of his beer* ????

Where have you read of other road users in London being attacked with guns, baseball bats and machetes? And I never suggested that Thailand is alone. This is a forum about Thailand. What happens elsewhere is irrelevant to this thread.

Absolutely !!! More unreported crime in Thailand than s civilised developed one!

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Just that. Why do we read over and over, every day, of road rage with guns, hammers, baseball bats; bus and taxi drivers fighting with other road users; vicious assaults often with groups kicking the head of people who are already down and helpless; spurned males killing their former girlfriend/wife/partner and often even her family; men and sometimes women throwing scalding water and making other assaults against small children; people exploding over the smallest thing.

Sorry,  thought this post was about modern day London  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1