SURVEY: US Citizens will need a visa for EU -- Right or Wrong?

Scott

SURVEY: US Citizens will need a visa for EU -- Right or Wrong?  

113 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

4 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

It seems that if one country of similar development levels forces another country of similar development levels to get visas, then reciprocal action isn't unreasonable.

In the larger picture...

Rising Nationalism. "Us" versus "Them". Tit for tat petty measures. A negative focus on immigrants. A devaluing of institutions. Identity politics at its worse. Loss of trust in leadership. A desire to 'strengthen' national borders. Etc. Etc. Etc.

This one, small action has few consequences in and of itself; it just causes inconvenience for all. In the bigger picture, it is another indicator that the tides of history are traveling in a very dangerous direction.

As a child, I thought the future was a wonderful, glorious road to a better world. Now, I am not so sure...

"Rising nationalism" - yep past two years more nationalists arrested for terrorist activities than Islamists. Though the EU visa requirement is likely political

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, abrahamzvi said:

What you are saying here is incorrect. As stated above only nationals of few EU countries need visas for the US. What is needed is a security clearance every two years, which is applied and granted online and carries a minimal fee.

I understand that the EU will adopt a similar procedure as from 2021. Therefore the talk about visas for US nationals for the Schengen EU countries is incorrect, and the heading of the survey is misleading.

You’re arguing semantics.

Which does not change the fact that in response to US discrimination against citizens of some EU member states the EU have responded in unison.

Which is precisely how to deal with such bullying tactics from the US.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

I get the whole “tit-for-tat” idea... and generally I agree with it... but I also think from a real-world basis, this issue, isn’t one that will always be a true tit-for-tat.

I say that because it’s think there is the notion that a citizen of country A may be viewed by country B differently as an potential tourist as opposed the reverse, a citizen of country B coming to country A as a tourist.

Is that fair? Arguably no, but I do think it does real-world differences in citizenship and migration (be that short-term tourist like or long term)

After all, I do think there is a credible reason why a person coming from a country with overall low economic development and opportunities maybe viewed as a >possible
Perhaps it’s unjust, but from a national interest basis, I get why a country might do so.

As such, I can’t see a a situation where the EU would require US nationals to get a hard visa (like going the actual embassy or the like as opposed to an online ESTA-like situation) due to national economic and immigration interest basis.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

3 hours ago, CALSinCM said:

....A foreign women marrying a Thai man can apply for citizenship three years after being married.
A foreign man marrying a Thai women has to apply for yearly extensions based on marriage as well as report their address to immigration every 90 days....

Foreign women married to Thai men also need to do 90 day reports and yearly extensions.

I am not sure that there is any difference in requirement for applying for citizenship. AFAIK both men and women must first have permanent residency and have lived in Thailand for at least the past 5 years.  I do know that it is very, difficult toi get and the foreign women I know who have tried have been at it for years.

The area where there is an inequality is in financial requirements for yearly extensions. There is none for foreign women married to Thais whereas there is for foreign men. The rest (permament residency, citizenship) is the same AFAIK. And the citizenship is a serious set of hoops, very hard to get.

• Like 2

Poland is possibly America's best ally.  Yet despite requests, America continues to require Poles to have visas.  I understand it's due, supposedly, to the percentage of overstays from persons of a particular country.  Regardless, we're letting thousands of indigent latinos a day into the country, surely Poland is much less of a threat.  I'll take a thousand Poles over ten indigents.  I say put the harshest visa requirements on people like me, an American, until America gets reasonable.

It doesn't matter to me since I will never need one. Have no desire to ever go to any EU country. The best part of this is the fact there will not be a "One World Order".

Edited by Longcut
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, bubba45 said:

Poland is possibly America's best ally.  Yet despite requests, America continues to require Poles to have visas.  I understand it's due, supposedly, to the percentage of overstays from persons of a particular country.  Regardless, we're letting thousands of indigent latinos a day into the country, surely Poland is much less of a threat.  I'll take a thousand Poles over ten indigents.  I say put the harshest visa requirements on people like me, an American, until America gets reasonable.

Ya think it's wealthy Poles coming to the USA to work? 

2 hours ago, Longcut said:

It doesn't matter to me since I will never need one. Have no desire to ever go to any EU country. The best part of this is the fact there will not be a "One World Order".

I'm sure there's a parallel universe where what you wrote makes sense.

• Like 1

Not sure how many Americans overstay their time in the EU but I do know that many, many from certain former Eastern Block countries overstay (migrate) to Canada so I expect the same to be true in the USA.

The US reaps what it sows. some years ago they arbitarily cancelled all "lifetime" visas.

If the reference is genuinely *not* to a visa, this thread should be closed.  Talk about spreading "fake news" !!!

• Like 2

The mods should update the thread. It is not a visa at all but an authorization system. 

From the corrected CNN article:
"Correction: An earlier version of this story mis-characterized the European Travel Information and Authorization System (ETIAS) as a visa. It is an authorization system."

Just read that article uncorrected
It is not a visa.
  • Like 1

Nonsense, there is no visa requirement for US Citizens for EU, but: When I travel to the US, entry control is disgusting and humiliating. That should be the same for us citizens visiting europe.

Edited by ujayujay