ED visa in Phnom Penh ?

I know it is a bad place to do any kind of visa.

We are in Koh Phangan and need to go out to get the ED visa, Can not enter Malaysia .

Laos is far, they advice us not to go Vietnam because they refuse the school some ED with no reason in Hanoi.

They said PP is ok (?)

- Did anyone had problems here with ED in Phnom Penh ? (our passport already have a few SETV).

- What could be some reasons for denial for ED in general ? (bank statement from 1.5 months ago?)

Lazy to go as far as Laos.

Thanks.

Why chance it? I assume you aren't eager to get stuck in Cambodia again. That "Laos is far" is hardly a good reason not to go there - if your paperwork is in order, Laos is a safe bet (Vientiane easier than Savannakhet, just book an appointment well before you plan to go).

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Caldera said:

Why chance it? I assume you aren't eager to get stuck in Cambodia again. That "Laos is far" is hardly a good reason not to go there - if your paperwork is in order, Laos is a safe bet (Vientiane easier than Savannakhet, just book an appointment well before you plan to go).

Good plan. Also to add...from Vientiane can enter by border. Nong khai. Then domestic flight aa  Surat thani avoiding international entry bkk.

20 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Then domestic flight aa  Surat thani

I think you meant "Udon Thani". 

50 minutes ago, Rob4 said:

Did anyone had problems here with ED in Phnom Penh ? (our passport already have a few SETV).

I haven't seen any reports of ED Visas from there in a long time.  Maybe they are less harsh on ED than tourists - but this is unknown.  It is known that with "a few SETVs" you would be unlikely to get a Tourist Visa there.

If you decide to try it, be prepared for a couple factors:

- If it works, they will probably take 4 days or more - plan to spend a week in PP

- If it fails - you could need to travel North through Cambodia direct to Laos (payoffs reported as needed at those entry points), and onward up to Savannakhet or Vientiane to get that ED Visa.

Ok thanks, you basically helped me make my decision.

We will go to Bangkok and then to Laos by flight/train.

How long does it take in Vientien if we make an appointment?

* we do have all papers, but I don't understand yet, if the process that the school make - which takes 4 weeks - does already "contain" some kind of approval for us (they said they give us back some papers) ? or the final approval only happen outside Thailand ? (what basically the school does ? )

** is bank statment for a large amount issued 2 months ago is good enough ?

Thanks.

Edited by Rob4

5 minutes ago, Rob4 said:

Ok thanks, you basically helped me make my decision.

We will go to Bangkok and then to Laos by flight/train.

How long does it take in Vientien if we make an appointment?

* we do have all papers, but I don't understand yet, if the process that the school make - which takes 4 weeks , 

No idea on the school's delay.  Did you ask this school if they take care of "hassle free" extensions for you - and how much you pay them per-extension do do this?  Their connections (or lack thereof) determine how "smooth" things go with immigration (or don't).

does already "contain" some kind of approval for us (they said they give us back some papers) ? or the final approval only happen outside Thailand ? (what basically the school does ? )

The school gives you paperwork, which you take with you to the Thai consulate, which allows you to get the Visa.

** is bank statment for a large amount issued 2 months ago is good enough ?

There are no financials reported as required when applying for an ED Visa.  Vientiane doesn't even ask for these when applying for Tourist Visas.

You could always print off an online statement, if it were needed.  Visitors applying for Tourist Visas at consulates that ask for financials report using these without problems.

There are no financials reported as required when applying for an ED Visa.  Vientiane doesn't even ask for these when applying for Tourist Visas.

The school actually said it is very important, they said you almost need nothing other than this (make sense because you stay 6-9 months and they want you to have money).

The report from the internet banking shows too many personal details I don't want to share (e.g investments).

Always hard to understand about those bank statements- what dates are good and what's acceptable (languages etc).

We have official bank statements with more than what they need, but from 31.12.18 . (2.5 months)

* all schools i asked takes 4-6 weeks to produce those papers (such as local police records, etc)

19 minutes ago, Rob4 said:

The school actually said it is very important, they said you almost need nothing other than this (make sense because you stay 6-9 months and they want you to have money).

The report from the internet banking shows too many personal details I don't want to share (e.g investments).

We have official bank statements with more than what they need, but from 31.12.18 . (2.5 months)

In that case, I would do whatever the school suggests - including new statements if they say this is necessary. 

What was the minimum-threshold the school said was necessary, in terms of showing money in the bank to get the Visa? 

Always hard to understand about those bank statements- what dates are good and what's acceptable (languages etc).

In general, English or Thai documents are always acceptable.  Again, I would defer to what the school suggests if in another language. 

* all schools i asked takes 4-6 weeks to produce those papers (such as local police records, etc)

Ok - probably more palms need greasing than in the past - or at least in the area where you are going to attend.  Some "new restrictions" could be nationwide, and others district or local.  What area of the country are the schools where you inquired?

11 hours ago, Caldera said:

I don't recall reports that confirm that a bank statement is needed in Vientiane, but if they in fact ask for one nowadays, I'd say you can be sure that they won't accept a statement that is two months old.

Probably confusion with another embassy or consulate.

They do not have financial proof shown on their list of requirements. http://vientiane.thaiembassy.org/upload/pdf/Visa/Non- ED & O.pdf