Good bank in Bangkok for a fiance on a visa exemption?

You probably should have left the details out about your fiancée, the cost of the ring and your wedding plans and just asked about the bank. Reason, you will probably get lots of comments about those things and they have nothing to do with your question, which is; what is the best bank to open an account while on a 30 day visa-exempt stay? I would try Bangkok Bank or Krungsri. Just tell them you have just moved here and need the account to qualify for a long-stay visa. I doubt they will care about your fiancée and wedding plans. I believe you will need 400,000 THB in the bank seasoned for 2 months unless you're planning to use the income method. Oh, and just to clear something up. It's not a marriage visa. You would get a 90-day Non O visa for the seasoning period, then a 1-year extension-of-stay based on marriage at the end of those 90 days. Good luck...

Edited by JohnnyBD

33 minutes ago, JohnnyBD said:

You probably should have left the details out about your fiancée, the cost of the ring and your wedding plans and just asked about the bank. Reason, you will probably get lots of comments from people about those things and they have nothing to do with your question,

...perish the thought ???? ....

which is what is the best bank to open an account while on a 30 day visa-exempt stay? I would try Bangkok Bank or Krungsri.

Krungsri have been very good to me over the years.  Opened savings account on retirement extension without raising an eyebrow. Not sure about your 30 day exempt, maybe better if you had the non-O at least.  No matter what your situation, get internet banking sorted immediately - before you walk out of the bank. That might be the only way to get your money out as your circumstances change and new, previously unknown rules come into force. If you end up with a savings account, make sure you do at least one credit and one debit transaction per month to stop it being "frozen", possibly when you are out of Thailand and unable to attend personally to reactivate it - a trap I fell into.....  ????

Edited by jpinx

Seeing as that you are on a visa exemption, and not yet married, you will find it difficult, if not impossible to open a Thai bank account in Bangkok. Lots of people will tell you that they "opened one easily" on a visa exemption, but they will have almost certainly done so many years ago. Things are different now, you will find this out very soon.

You can get married, register your marriage at the local amphur, and then go to Savannakhet to get your non-O, they will not ask for proof of funds.

Once you have your non-O from Savannakhet, it will then become easier to get your bank account opened, but you still might have to try a few branches because the staff would rather turn you away than admit that they don't understand the rules for opening accounts for foreigners.

Then put the 400k in, wait 2 months, and then go and get your extension of stay based on marriage, which is another massive headache.

Your visa exemption only lasts 30 days, so you can either get this extended for 1900 baht, or go to a neighbouring country and apply for a 60 day tourist visa which can be extended for 30 days, although you'd be much better off just registering your marriage at the amphur office inside of 30 days to get your marriage certificate to show at Savannakhet (they want the original).

I presume from your name that you are Spanish. Be aware that you may well come up against some unhelpful people who try to put many obstacles in your path, don't get angry and be patient with everyone, you will get there in the end it will just be ten times harder and more annoying than in your home country.

Edited by pr9spk

6 minutes ago, pr9spk said:

Seeing as that you are on a visa exemption, and not yet married, you will find it difficult, if not impossible to open a Thai bank account in Bangkok. Lots of people will tell you that they "opened one easily" on a visa exemption, but they will have almost certainly done so many years ago. Things are different now, you will find this out very soon.

You can get married, register your marriage at the local amphur, and then go to Savannakhet to get your non-O, they will not ask for proof of funds.

Once you have your non-O from Savannakhet, it will then become easier to get your bank account opened, but you still might have to try a few branches because the staff would rather turn you away than admit that they don't understand the rules for opening accounts for foreigners.

Then put the 400k in, wait 2 months, and then go and get your extension of stay based on marriage, which is another massive headache.

Above post may be correct that "Things are different now". However, I opened an account 2 years ago at BKK bank on a visa exempt status. I had to have a certified copy of my passport which I got at the passport office in my home country. And my gf acted as my "sponsor" (same could be so in your situation).

Good luck with all your plans.

12 minutes ago, neeray said:

Above post may be correct that "Things are different now". However, I opened an account 2 years ago at BKK bank on a visa exempt status. I had to have a certified copy of my passport which I got at the passport office in my home country. And my gf acted as my "sponsor" (same could be so in your situation).

I did something similar, however we tried dozens of branches. Then I went into a branch on Sukhumvit, where I was also intitally denied, until the assistant found out that she came from the same village as my wife, so she agreed to do it. Had my wife not been there it would have been another "mai dai". This was in 2018.

So yes, it may be possible, if you want to invest the time, otherwise get married, get a non-O and then start trying for bank accounts. Another issue is that they assume you want a checking account - make it clear that you only want a basic savings account. Like you I understood that I needed to have the money in a Thai bank for 2 months before getting the non-O, this is not the case as long as you go to Savannakhet, not sure about the other consulates.

Expect to see lots of posts from people who claim to have opened a Thai account "easily". They are likely to be on retirement visas, have a work permit, or they opened their account years ago.

Edited by pr9spk
  • Like 1

you could try to use your wifes tabian baan (housebook) and have that address as where you will reside or if you rent when you get here use the rental contract. get a residency affirmation from your embassy if they will do one. go with your fiance or a family member to a bank where they have an account and ask the bank to open one for you. that should work in most branches. ask your wife to call a few branches beforehand to find one that will do it for you. 

or just get your non o and you will have 90 days so plenty of time to open an account and season your money for the extension

Edited by MARK74

8 hours ago, SenorJorge said:

5)  I need to deposit 40,000 THB into a Thai bank account for 2 months prior to my application for my Thailand marriage visa.

I presume this is a typo but let us make sure.... 400,000 baht.

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 2

I have good experiences with BKK Bank and Kasikorn, but I opened the accounts long time ago when things werde much easier.

You have to know that the rules can be interpreted differently from branch to branch. If the first one refuses you the next one might be ok.

To go there with a "respected person" could help. To tell them, you need to open the account for transfering a big amount of money to Thailand (to buy a condo) too.

If you can get a non-o before you apply your chances will be much better.

Good luck to you.

11 hours ago, JustAnotherHun said:

To go there with a "respected person" could help. To tell them, you need to open the account for transfering a big amount of money to Thailand (to buy a condo) too.

Sorry, I forgot about this - I was told at one bank that they would open me an account if I brought someone senior in Thailand along with me, a doctor, lawyer, head of the village or policeman. Managed to convince the puuyai to come with me but he backed out on the day because someone told him that if I did anything bad he could get into trouble. That was Kasikorn, by the way.

If your fiance or her family know anybody like this to vouch for you, it could be the easiest option.

Edited by pr9spk

On 3/11/2019 at 8:41 PM, jacko45k said:

I presume this is a typo but let us make sure.... 400,000 baht.

No, the income requirement is 40,000 baht every month.  Unless that changed.

If they changed this, the hell with thailand's immigration laws, we will go to live in cambodia.

"Must meet the financial requirement

• Security deposit of THB 400,000 in a Thai Bank Account for at least 2 months prior to the visa application; or
  • Monthly income of at least THB 40,000. A letter from the foreigner embassy has to be shown to verify this income"

For me us stupid yanks, we need to get a thai bank statement for two months instead of the affidavit.  The us embassy is no longer issuing affidavits.

Sorry if I seem short/rude by the way.  I am a physical wreck and it's not you I'm angry with, it's years of dealing with societies treating me unfairly as a person with an ethnic handicap and near totally disabled person with limited income (62k baht per month welfare cheque).

1 hour ago, SenorJorge said:

Sorry if I seem short/rude by the way.  I am a physical wreck and it's not you I'm angry with, it's years of dealing with societies treating me unfairly as a person with an ethnic handicap and near totally disabled person with limited income (62k baht per month welfare cheque).

You're ok...  no need to a apologize. 62,000 THB is more than enough for marriage extension. If you don't mind me offering a little advice... I got married in Bangkok in 2017 and used Express Translations to do all the paperwork and arrange the marriage at the Amphur office. I would never have been able to arrange it all myself. And, you will need English translations done anyway and you cannot do that yourself. They took us to the Amphur, we were married by an Officer, they translated the Thai marriage certificate & registration and had everything stamped at MFA Ministry of Foreign Affairs. I paid for 3 MFA stamped copies of everything because I had to send one to IRS when filing taxes (the IRS did return it). If you need more specific details on marriage, bank account or anything else, just private message me by clicking on my name and then send me a message. Will be glad to help...

Edited by JohnnyBD

In Bangkok i would suggest, Bangkok Bank head office in Sathorn, for FCD or THB account have your future wife open account at head office beforehand. See their website for more detail. Get off at Chong Nongsi BTS, back track the train route round the corner a few hundred metres, you will see head office to your right. Go in to the left side of the substantial glass frontage , down the left corridor to the application desks, towards the back.

If anywhere else, you could try a Krungsi main branch, for a FCD account in Euros(etc), again with your wife to be, and again useful if they know her already (wouldn't bother trying Krungsi for a THB account)

10 hours ago, JohnnyBD said:

You're ok...  no need to a apologize. 62,000 THB is more than enough for marriage extension. If you don't mind me offering a little advice... I got married in Bangkok in 2017 and used Express Translations to do all the paperwork and arrange the marriage at the Amphur office. I would never have been able to arrange it all myself. And, you will need English translations done anyway and you cannot do that yourself. They took us to the Amphur, we were married by an Officer, they translated the Thai marriage certificate & registration and had everything stamped at MFA Ministry of Foreign Affairs. I paid for 3 MFA stamped copies of everything because I had to send one to IRS when filing taxes (the IRS did return it). If you need more specific details on marriage, bank account or anything else, just private message me by clicking on my name and then send me a message. Will be glad to help...

OP - i would follow the above advice, much easier to open a bank account once you have the marriage complete.  you enter visa exempt and can extend that for 30 days.  so you have 60 days to get it all handled.  the translations people might even be able to help you with opening the bank account while on visa exempt entry with a completed marriage certificate.  it is possible to do a 'change visa' at immigration in bangkok (chaeng wattana - CW).  if you have 15 days left on your permission to stay (so before the 45th day of the 60 days, 30+30 extension) you can apply for a non imm O at CW and don't have to leave the country.  but you'll need to have money deposited in the bank to apply for the non imm O at CW.  it is alot to handle in just 45 days so get started ASAP upon your arrival.

one issue is where you plan to live once you are married.  if you don't plan to live in bangkok/the area covered by CW, you'll need to go to the immigration office that handles the city in which you plan to live. some offices don't do the 'change visa' or are difficult to work with when it comes to that process.  so you may have to visit a consulate in a nearby country to obtain the non imm O.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, johnwf1963 said:

Bangkok Bank head office in Sathorn

Just to avoid confusion its on Silom Road not Sathorn, Its hot and there is no reason to be wondering around..

Edited by marin
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, johnwf1963 said:

In Bangkok i would suggest, Bangkok Bank head office in Sathorn, for FCD or THB account have your future wife open account at head office beforehand. See their website for more detail. Get off at Chong Nongsi BTS, back track the train route round the corner a few hundred metres, you will see head office to your right. Go in to the left side of the substantial glass frontage , down the left corridor to the application desks, towards the back.

If anywhere else, you could try a Krungsi main branch, for a FCD account in Euros(etc), again with your wife to be, and again useful if they know her already (wouldn't bother trying Krungsi for a THB account)

Bangkok Bank Headoffice is on Silom Rd and not on Sathorn.

I have not yet had a positive experience with them at headoffice. Helpful they are not. All depends on whether you are "the flavor of the day".  

One distinction, some of the banks do make it fairly easy to open an account as a tourist visa holder. It might be easier for you to open an account if you get an actual tourist visa and enter with it (as opposed to a visa exempt entry).

On Tue Mar 12 2019 at 3:48 AM, neeray said:

Did they keep the certified copy of your passport or it was returned to you after your bank account was opened?

• Thanks 1

Thanks guys, this really helps. Kabkhub kawb.  My next question is, in the odd instance that I am only able to get the marriage registered during my 45 days, how difficult will it be for me to get visa in Vientiane?  My fiancee and I live in udon thani.  We could go there together if we run out of time, rent a room for 200 month, and get this sorted.  Reasonable option???  Provided we are positive we have ALL NECESSARY PAPERWORK before going into Laos.

On 3/13/2019 at 11:17 PM, SenorJorge said:

No, the income requirement is 40,000 baht every month.  Unless that changed.

The income requirement is a letter from your Embassy confirming your income - the only time a bank deposit would be required would be for the 400k for two months so question was valid.

1 hour ago, lopburi3 said:

The income requirement is a letter from your Embassy confirming your income - the only time a bank deposit would be required would be for the 400k for two months so question was valid.

This is not the case for Americans anymore.  The us embassy has ceased giving income letters out.  Totally and completely abandoned the programme.

8 hours ago, SenorJorge said:

This is not the case for Americans anymore.  The us embassy has ceased giving income letters out.  Totally and completely abandoned the programme.

Sorry it was my misunderstanding you were Spanish.  In that case the requirement is written as 12 months proof but hopefully they will allow less on first instance.

• Thanks 1

On 3/13/2019 at 11:17 PM, SenorJorge said:

For me us stupid yanks, we need to get a thai bank statement for two months instead of the affidavit.  The us embassy is no longer issuing affidavits.

Somehow I missed that after the post made thinking you were Spanish - again sorry.  In defense recovering from antibiotic reaction so a bit out of it.  Believe it may have been mentioned but once married you can easily (one night stay) obtain a multi entry non immigrant O visa from Savannakhet if immigration will not allow extension immediately.  Bank account would not be required for that.  Good luck.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, lopburi3 said:

Sorry it was my misunderstanding you were Spanish.  In that case the requirement is written as 12 months proof but hopefully they will allow less on first instance.

The police have actually issued a statement saying that they need proof of a bank deposit in lieu of the affidavit.  Technically, one deposit is enough.  However, some officers are looking for at least two months.  Thanks.  I think we'll do this and go to laos to be on the safe and easy side.

12 minutes ago, SenorJorge said:

The police have actually issued a statement saying that they need proof of a bank deposit in lieu of the affidavit.  Technically, one deposit is enough.  However, some officers are looking for at least two months.  Thanks.  I think we'll do this and go to laos to be on the safe and easy side.

After you get married...

If you go to Vientiane - get a Non-O Single-Entry visa from the Thai Consulate there - 90-days permitted-stay on return - avoids all the problems with the "non-o stamp" from immigration.  You can apply for the 1-year extension from immigration in the last 30-days of the single-entry from this visa.

The only problem, right now, is Vientiane's online appointment system seems to be getting hacked/filled for weeks into the future. 

If you go to Savannakhet Laos instead - Non-O Single-Entry or 1-Year Multiple-Entry visa from the Thai Consulate there.  With the Multiple-Entry version you still only get 90-days on each entry, but can go out/in for new entries until it expires.  You can apply for the 1-year extension from immigration in the last 30-days of any entry from this visa.

No crazy/hacked "online appointment" system to deal with at Savannakhet - just show up in the morning, and easy/done.

• Thanks 1

I got an account at Bangkok Bank Phrom Phong /EmQuartier branch while using a tourist visa. The staff speak English in this branch and I've seen many non-Thai customers in there when I visit. The requirements, from their website:

1. Foreigner with a work permit

• Passport

• Work Permit

2. Foreigner without work permit

• Passport
  • A reference letter issued by one of the following institutes or organizations or required document
    • Embassy located  in Thailand
    • An overseas bank where the customer holds an account sent via SWIFT
    • Trusted individuals such as a Bangkok Bank staff member or customer, director of a private company, permanent residence in Thailand, government or private educational institutes located in Thailand trusted by the Bank
    • Trusted companies, e.g., an employment letter from the company if the customer is in the process of applying for a work permit.
    • Document showing ownership of a fixed asset such as a condominium sale/purchase agreement (a condominium which is acceptable to Bangkok Bank) Or a property reservation agreement valued at 100,000 baht or more with a reference letter from the property developer that is acceptable to Bangkok Bank.

Notes: Contact addresses for both Thailand and overseas must be provided (hotel and P.O. Box addresses are not acceptable).

3. Foreigner with permanent residence in Thailand

• Passport or Certificate of Residence or Alien Certificate
  • House Registration document

Click here to view more details about Accounts

I used a letter from my embassy and a copy of my condo contract. 

Good luck. 

Edited by MrBingley
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MrBingley said:

I got an account at Bangkok Bank Phrom Phong /EmQuartier branch while using a tourist visa. The staff speak English in this branch and I've seen many non-Thai customers in there when I visit. The requirements, from their website:

Good luck. 

I don't own any real estate in thailand.  Siam legal can open a bank account for you for 150 usd. They have some kind of setup with some local banks in thailand.  Im disabled.  Two banks with my fiance, no luck, and I'm just going to give them a call.  I can't run all over bangkok in my shape.  I just can't. I love this woman so much, we simply can't be separated again.  I'll get through this.  It's not easy, but doable.  Thank you everyone.

3 hours ago, MrBingley said:

Good luck. 

What is the letter about?  Is it simply a certified true copy of your passport? 

Edited by post