Good bank in Bangkok for a fiance on a visa exemption?

19 minutes ago, post said:

What is the letter about? 

I would assume proof of address since that is what many people have used. The bank would be satisfied with about anything with a embassy stamp on it.

• Like 1

On 3/11/2019 at 7:54 PM, pr9spk said:

I did something similar, however we tried dozens of branches. Then I went into a branch on Sukhumvit, where I was also intitally denied, until the assistant found out that she came from the same village as my wife, so she agreed to do it. Had my wife not been there it would have been another "mai dai". This was in 2018.

So yes, it may be possible, if you want to invest the time, otherwise get married, get a non-O and then start trying for bank accounts. Another issue is that they assume you want a checking account - make it clear that you only want a basic savings account. Like you I understood that I needed to have the money in a Thai bank for 2 months before getting the non-O, this is not the case as long as you go to Savannakhet, not sure about the other consulates.

Expect to see lots of posts from people who claim to have opened a Thai account "easily". They are likely to be on retirement visas, have a work permit, or they opened their account years ago.

I opened my Thai bank account with Bangkok Bank, in July 2017, I was here for three weeks on a Non "o" visa, I was in Lam Plai Mat ( Burriram ) with my lady friend, we went to the bank together to open my account, She did the talking as the person we saw did not speak good English, but within 20 minutes of them taking a copy of my passport my address confirmed at my ladies address, deposited 3000.00 Baht as a opening deposit I walked out with my opened savings account. I was also issued with a Bangkok Bank debit card  ( Union Pay ). I tried it out during my stay and could deposit money at various Bangkok Banks and withdraw cash with no problem. It was not a Visa card., but a Union Pay card.

On my return to the UK i could make no purchases with it, but could withdraw cash from any Barclays Bank, but no other bank would accept it exchange rate appalling.

On my next visit in October I was in Pattaya, I went in to the Bangkok Bank on Beach Road, ( all the staff seemed to speak good English ) to talk about why the card was limited even in Thailand to make purchases, He said I needed a Visa card savings account, to get the visa card, on production of my original savings account passbook my passport ( he took a photo copy ), confirming I still reside at my ladies friends address, he opened me another savings account but i was issued with a Visa debit card, I did this on my own at the bank with out any trouble, it took about the same amount of time. I did not expect to open a another account.

I transferred some money in to the account via Transferwise, I use them for transfers from my UK banks, and then had no trouble shopping or buying products from the shops in Thailand.

Also the Visa card can be used in the UK like any Visa card, to remove money from Thailand It could be a good card to have, I have tried using it here to try it out and I have been able to make purchases here, in Tesco shopping , garages for petrol, I have payed my gas and electric bills also my council tax, The exchange rate was not the best but acceptable if you ever want to get your money out, get the Visa card with your account.

I do not have a work permit, or a retirement Visa, but opened both accounts in 2017. I opened them for personal reasons. It is now 14:00 here in the UK 19:00 in Thailand, time for lunch. 

So I think, if I can do it with out any problems, so can SenorJorge, if he takes his lady friend to the bank with him and confirms his address.

7 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

I would assume proof of address since that is what many people have used. The bank would be satisfied with about anything with a embassy stamp on it.

I took my Thai lady friend with me to the Bank of Bangkok to open a account ( in Lam Plai Mat ) I was there on a Non "O" visa, With her confirming my address ( at her address ) with my passport, they took photo copies, I Deposited 3000.00 Baht in it, I walked out with my opened bank account, complete with a pin number for the debit card supplied, in about 20 minutes, I can also use internet banking on the account.

I suggest he takes his lady friend with him to confirm his address, should be no problem.