Poll: Banning alcohol at Songkran a good idea "to preserve beautiful Thai culture"

webfact

In the longer term can reduce the distribution, strength availibilty etc.

However in a nation awash with illegal people, drugs and fake goods cannot see much mileage in prohibition.

Confiscation of vehicles, higher taxes, no sales to people under 70 unaccompanied by 2 grandparents might discourage the law abiding , but the Volstead Act helped create the gangs in USA.

Since the latest tax hike I only drink brake fluid, but I can stop anytime I want.

Wowsers, politically correct nutters, vegans, gender confused, sexually confused and many more just cant chill. they have to keep on and on about their opinions about what people should do, believe and accept now apparently in this country too. Well they can all go and get faaaaarr ed

If you really believe that banning alcohol on Songkran will preserve the beautiful thai culture ,then why not ban it all the time? 1 Day doesn't preserve anything and yet many people drink even more throughout that week.

"IT" is PROHIBITED IN BUDDHISM as all habits that are harmful to the body are prohibited. So you must use logic and common sense not just ban it for a day..this is a joke to say the least as you can not enforce it.

????????

9 minutes ago, phantomfiddler said:

But banning alcohol on St Paddy,s Day, what madness is this ???

You can escape to Singapore, they celebrate it there near Boat Quay. You know, that SEA country with all the boring restrictive rules.

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Anti-alcohol activists have been buoyed by a poll and still hope to persuade the government to ban drinking on April 13th. 

Yeah right.

Try that up here and see how big a riot you instigate.

The poll also showed widespread approval for restricting hours to sell alcohol. Some 50% wanted booze not to be sold after 8 pm while 80% thought a 10 pm cutoff was reasonable. 

Everybody is already shIt drunk and passed out by then anyway.

Thai PBS reported that 70.1% of respondents in a poll thought that banning alcohol on this day would help protect the beautiful Thai culture. 

Elite by any chance?

Can't have the peasants more drunk than normal.

Fun! Stop it!

4 hours ago, fraggleRock said:

Sell no booze! Simple --- stock up beforehand (how thick do they think people are - 'Oh! its a ban, I won't stock up then!' - what a genius came up with this,  I bet his parents are proud as he or she must be 'Special' - pathetic, God its that simple - or go to a local 'jungle' shop.  This is up there with the most pointless government actions as the EU saying how bendy a banana should be - totally moronic idea.  How about sorting out the drunk drivers by having check points and getting unlicensed drivers off the dam already dangerous roads.  And for the record I don't drink anyways and don't go out at Songkran as I don't want to be drenched by a drunks piss filled water gun... OR mowed down by some Country boy in his pickup or motorbike... Thai culture! Really!  I think member Seahorse sums that one up... Once the tourist industry gets proper wind of this - well its suffering already, but this is another nail in the coffin, go to Vietnam.... cheaper....

Gee,  that coffin must weigh thirty tons by now with all those nails that have been applied over the years.  Obviously it doesn't bother the 30 million or so tourist who visit. 

Who are the Dreamers? One can't stop people from drinking alcohol no matter how hard they Try or Ban people from drinking alcohol. It's not going to make any difference there will be the same number of Killings on the road and of the road if not more .

Banning alcohol at Songkran a good idea "to preserve beautiful Thai culture" A pitty to ban alcohol to keep thai culture up! So there must be wrong with the Thai people that they not care about the life of people, the laws and regulations: its just me , me and alwas me FIRST. So change the habit of thai people, this might help for the culuture as well!

I don't care about drunks, but I do care about people throwing water at me, especially young thuggish foreign males in Chiang Mai city centre.

This year I'll be in Phnom Penh for songkran, still celebrated there but jail for throwing water in the city I'm told (hopefully).

Yes, drinking should be banned at Mardi Gras in New Orleans, Carnival in Rio, and especially at Octoberfest in Munich. Replace the booze with pot. You would cut the aggression and reinforce the naked dancing. ????

Thai PBS reported that 70.1% of respondents in a poll thought that banning alcohol on this day would help protect the beautiful Thai culture. 

It would also mean less road accidents, less violent arguments, less molestation and less wanton drunkenness. 

Those who opposed the idea said it would make Songkran less "sanuk" (fun).

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Doing the first one would suppress the Thai culture exhibited by the latter two.  Might be a win-win, but only for a day.  Chai Yo!

Call me old fashion but I am getting sick and tired for being forced to be showered by strangers

with my clothes on including passport, phone, wallet, etc.. without my consent.

In the old days you were sprinklered with about half a glass of water, today they try to knock you out

with buckets of water.

I told the wife this year I will do a week shopping prior to Songkran, (food & booze) lock the gate,

watch football and movies on pay-tv. After all, Thai New Year is for Thai people.

I had my New Year a couple on month ago and I didn't throw water on anyone, "by mark of respect'.

Just now, Moo 2 said:

Call me old fashion but I am getting sick and tired for being forced to be showered by strangers

with my clothes on including passport, phone, wallet, etc.. without my consent.

In the old days you were sprinklered with about half a glass of water, today they try to knock you out

with buckets of water.

I told the wife this year I will do a week shopping prior to Songkran, (food & booze) lock the gate,

watch football and movies on pay-tv. After all, Thai New Year is for Thai people.

I had my New Year a couple on month ago and I didn't throw water on anyone, "by mark of respect'.

Wine can make you fat, what will it be, Red or White?

Naw, the government relies upon alcohol to help control the population level. 

Other useful measures are motorbikes, cigarettes, riding in the back of pick up trucks and Plaa Raa.

Get caught with a spliff, an E-cig or say something cross about certain people, you're in for it - fine, jail, deportation.  Possibly all 3. 

Archived