Five foreigners spend their holidays cleaning up rubbish along Krabi Beach

snoop1130

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If it weren't for the restrictions we have as foreigners, I'd be happy to donate a few hours of my time each day/week to cleaning up.  It could be a social community without going into a bar and getting pished, and a little gentle exercise also.  

Remember that not all this waste is from Thailand, and will constantly be coming in from the sea.  If only people could see the value in it rather than seeing waste.  I'd love to have an operation recycling all this free 'solidified oil' (plastics)  Authorities are getting in the way rather than assisting though.

"Hey Gov't! I'll invest in factories and hiring the 'know how' and clean your beaches, and in return you leave me and mine alone.  Deal?"
"How much you pay me?" ????

17 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

Kudos to them. If everyone here who bitches about the garbage spent 3 hours a week in a group cleaning a couple of blocks it would be more worthwhile than complaining. Id do it. 

Bring in the Adopt a roadside like Rotary clubs do overseas. 

I'm sure the locals will be happy to have farang volunteers pick up the crap they think is below them to clean up.

Seems to me if you live here you would want to help clean it up.

But then again, no expat or tourist here ever contributes to any environmental degradation, my bad,sorry for the suggestion, complaining about it is easier. 

Locals are hard to train , I live in Greece same situation ! 20 foreigners beach cleaning piles of rubbish , a Greek family on the beach about 6 got up and left did they bring their crap over to us for dumping , no I went over and got it ! Its peasant mentality even though they have a big SUV and the best smart phone they shit in their own nest ! 

4 hours ago, cardinalblue said:

Is this infrequent behavior different than picking up 20 dogs from one area or spraying the CM air pollution with water?

these are desperation acts b/c there is no effective and manageable system in place for each of these serious problems....

great examples of a completely ineffective and unaccountable gov in full display and for a country so sensitive to their image they project to the outside....

in two years, only Chinese tourists remaining....

A little dramatic with the tourist prediction.

I need to mention the wonderful job that a group of people are doing on Koh Lanta.

Needless to say that many beaches that used to be so pretty on that island are now covered with

trash or worst plastic. I did participate in a Sunday clean up last year and it was a nice experience

you feel very good after the hard work of collecting bags and bags of trash, mostly plastic.

Most of the plastic I believe is brought by the ocean and it has really ruined that once pristine sands

of the beaches.

There has to be thousands of westerners staying in Thailand, just imagine for a minute that they all inundated the beaches in swarms of thousands to clean it up, it would be worldwide news, and perhaps incite the locals to follow suit.

19 hours ago, the guest said:

I don't lift a finger in Thailand, always somebody waiting to report you.

Waste of time unless the locals do it instead.

so your just a taker?....are you fat and sweaty?.....no one is going to report you for picking up rubbish...I do it in my street.....its not a waste of time, its a good thing to do....mr GUEST what do you do all day apart from not lifting a finger?You are a negative unhappy person who only see faults.....and complains all day.......get off your fat arse and contribute to the community .....

I'm not having that. "The guest" DOES lift a finger. How else would he type this interminable drivel.

Rooster

21 hours ago, johng said:

Work permits ? !!! emoji12.png

Didn't take you long to come up with that old chestnut did it?

But what a good advertising opportunity for TAT "For that holiday with a difference - come to Krabi for the golden opportunity of doing some work for the community, and you won't even have to declare any income!"

2 hours ago, Polaky said:

There has to be thousands of westerners staying in Thailand, just imagine for a minute that they all inundated the beaches in swarms of thousands to clean it up, it would be worldwide news, and perhaps incite the locals to follow suit.

The most dubious words in the above post are "imagine" and  "perhaps"!

14 hours ago, balo said:

I do this every week on the beaches here in Pattaya, it's a part of my weekly exercise .

The locals stares at me and pointing . I couldn't care less what they are thinking, just trying to show them what they should have been doing. 

"The locals stares at me and pointing" Now there's a surprise, and I could have a wild guess as to what they are thinking, but I think you know that already! 

You could try to convince them that farangs have been looking after the place that they call home for years, and it improves your  brain power to such an extent that it gives rise to wonderful inventions like the wheel and the car and the telephone, but I wouldn't count on it!

1 minute ago, dallen52 said:

Its interesting. 

My thai partner pointed out that most of the people who work the garbage trucks are Cambodian. 

Below the Thais list to pick up rubbish. 

I always suspected maybe the Thais felt they were above "picking up the trash of foreigners" or any for that matter?

2 minutes ago, tlandtday said:

I always suspected maybe the Thais felt they were above "picking up the trash of foreigners" or any for that matter?

We always take a plastic bag to Jomtien beach and bring our bit of rubbish home. 

(Seems to be a shortage of bins at Dongtan beach... Oh, there's parking ticket people now,  but no bins..  that's right, you have to pay to park there now).

6 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Back in the 90s when Chaweng was actually a nice beach ( before it became all concrete and ruined ) I went for a long walk every day while there on holiday and picked up rubbish as I went. Dumped it in a pit I dug in the sand and on my last day set it alight and enjoyed the fire.

Somewhat spoiled for me when a Thai guy working in a scuba shop claimed that the 4 litre oil container I collected had been dumped by farangs!

Would have made no difference at all in the long run as no one else ever picked up rubbish, but I did my good deed for the day.

Now I know who to blame for all the air pollution.... Burning garbage, burning oil canisters.... See a doctor, it's urgent ????

22 hours ago, the guest said:

Waste of time unless the locals do it instead.

Locals = all over entire S.E. Asuia up to China.... and   environment ? A NON-combination.

My son worked as assistent GM at a quite posh hotel at Koh Samui. Tried to teach the "natives" employed by the hotel to clean up the glass pieces at their beach. IMPOSSIBLE. Better let a guest step in it.

Archived