Britain in Brexit chaos - parliament crushes May's EU deal again

webfact

8 minutes ago, vogie said:

The European Court of Justice made these laws, not our fault if you do not agree with them.

A judgement by the European Court of Justice (ECJ) on Monday gives the UK the right to unilaterally withdraw its notification to leave the EU.

https://news.sky.com/story/european-court-of-justice-rules-uk-can-unilaterally-revoke-article-50-and-halt-brexit-11576865

I'm losing the plot here - are you recommending the uk revoking article 50 and staying?

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Spidey said:

A lot of MPs took May's line in that, whilst no deal is on the table, it gives a bargaining chip to the UK when dealing with the EU. Laughable.

There are only 47 MPs, Moggy's ERG group, who would be happy with a no deal exit.

1 hour ago, Laughing Gravy said:

No You said just the 47 MP's of the ERG would, so get the fact what you stated correct. I clearly shown that it is not just the ERG.

I hope you are not one of those posters who tries to present a portion of what they said as fact.

Troll or idiot, I'm not sure which.

50 minutes ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

How would that solve the issue that there is a UK law saying the UK has to leave 29 March? Let’s imagine May revokes Article 50, or agrees with the EU on an extension. Wouldn’t she be breaking UK law? 

35 minutes ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

And can you explain why not? What’s the point of that law if it doesn’t have to be obeyed? I thought it would be necessary to first revoke that law, requiring an act of parliament and going through both houses? 

14 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

I'm losing the plot here - are you recommending the uk revoking article 50 and staying?

I am trying to explain to 'welove' that we would not be breaking the law by revoking art 50. Does his post stacked up together make better clearer to you if you read them together. Please say yes.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, vogie said:

The European Court of Justice made these laws, not our fault if you do not agree with them.

A judgement by the European Court of Justice (ECJ) on Monday gives the UK the right to unilaterally withdraw its notification to leave the EU.

https://news.sky.com/story/european-court-of-justice-rules-uk-can-unilaterally-revoke-article-50-and-halt-brexit-11576865

I don’t understand why you’re getting defensive. I was asking a simple question. 

With regards to your answer to that question, we are talking about two different things. I wasn’t referring to the Article 50. I know the UK unilaterally may withdraw. I was referring to the UK’s law saying that the UK has to leave the EU on 29 March. Isn’t there such? Doesn’t that mean there are two time bombs ticking, one on the EU side (article 50) and one on the UK side (that law mentioned)?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Troll or idiot, I'm not sure which.

Very mature of you once again.

"There are only 47 MPs, Moggy's ERG group, who would be happy with a no deal exit."

For those mentally challenged. I gave you 4 others who would be happy with a no deal. I will also give you some more so you fully grasp that there are not only 47 MPs, Moggy's ERG group who would be happy with a no deal.

The DUP would be happy with a No deal.

https://www.cnbc.com/video/2019/01/15/dup-no-deal-brexit-would-damage-the-eu.html

• Like 1

On 3/13/2019 at 5:17 AM, sanemax said:

Politicians want to leave with no deal and that is what they are insisting on and that is why this deal was rejected , Leave means Leave , no deal

Wrong.

Actually, I hope we either leave with a managed no deal, or cancel Brexit.

The problem is Parliament thinks there is something useful in between: there isn't!

4 hours ago, SheungWan said:

No-deal is still on the table and even if there is a delay to the withdrawal, no-deal remains there. It only goes away with one of two things: Withdrawal of Article 50 or Parliament agreeing a deal with the EU. Theresa May pointed this out. (and 'er Rees-Mogg). Parliament still not fully grasped it yet, though it would be weird if N-D was allowed to prevail after last night's vote, so the odds are small if not disappeared.

From what I can gather it looks like May's deal will go back for a further vote in the commons. So the ERG and others will have the choice between approving May's deal and extending Article 50 by a few months to get the legislation through, or, rejecting May's deal and watching Article 50 extended by a year to get a resolution sorted. Problem with the latter (for them) is that it may be resolved by way of a second referendum.

Whatever happens the UK will not be leaving the EU on 29 March 2019.

Edited by AlexRich

3 hours ago, dick dasterdly said:

Taking no deal off the table obviously reduces the uk's bargaining power....

But agree with your second para. - whilst the electorate voted to leave, the vast majority of MPs feel differently and will do everything possible to stop this happening.

Unfortunately for many MPs, they will have to face the electorate eventually - and more than a few, have fears of losing their seats if they obviously support remain!

You talk as if 80% voted to leave? It was a very close call, and if re-run today would be a different result. Given that it is the most important matter any MP will ever have to deal with I don't thing many of them are that bothered by threats from the sidelines, when even MP's who support the government's deal are being referred to as traitors? The Tories are split as a party and a "no deal" Brexit would make that situation even worse. The only chance they have of keeping together is if May's vote gets through ... a "no deal" would be the end of them. 

7 hours ago, gmac said:

Actually the opposite with Hard Remainers defying the referendum result trying to keep the country shackled to the EU. 'The Deal' most certainly isn't Brexit.

give me EU shackles anyday,UK politics is donald ducked for the next 20-30 years,the last 3 years are just for starters,there wont be an outright majority again in your lifetime,the more power to the EU the better,brits are like spackers

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

Absolutely agree, but perhaps not the way your thinking.

If they had another referendum, more would vote leave, just check out recent polls.

If another referendum was announced the UK would have mass demonstration that the Police certainly couldn't handle.

I'm afraid not, it would be a resounding defeat ... hence the reason that extreme Brexiteers are so scared of that outcome. 

But I've been hearing many Brexiteer predictions for almost three years now ... only to watch each prediction get knocked over, one by one. Like the ERG, every "cunning plan" an unmitigated disaster. I laughed watching Rees-Mogg gulp for air as the presenter suggested that he'd go down in history as the man who lost Brexit. It's beginning to sink in.

5 minutes ago, beautifulthailand99 said:

I think whatever our differing views on Brexit we can all cheer a rising pound. Let's hope it has set sail for 50 Baht Island and is well on it's way.....

The real reason for remain surfacing on the port bow.

3 hours ago, malagateddy said:

It's been discussed on a foreign news channel that a certain well known Brexiteer was meeting with a certain Mateous Salvini.
Take outa that what you like.
Just perhaps Italy may veto any extension??

'Fiddling with knobs' is part of the course! ????

12 minutes ago, beautifulthailand99 said:

I think whatever our differing views on Brexit we can all cheer a rising pound. Let's hope it has set sail for 50 Baht Island and is well on it's way.....

That'll happen within weeks of leaving regardless.

Edited by evadgib
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, malagateddy said:

It's been discussed on a foreign news channel that a certain well known Brexiteer was meeting with a certain Mateous Salvini.
Take outa that what you like.
Just perhaps Italy may veto any extension??

Sent from my SM-G7102 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

The Brexit camp is replete with irony.

Brexiteer goes begging cap in hand to EU nation leader to ask that they use their sovereign vote in a vain hope of delivering the Brexit he and his chums failed to deliver.

Edited by Chomper Higgot
  • Like 1