Can you still extend tourist Visa during your stay?

jokering

I'm planning to stay in Phuket for 36 days, and my passport (New Zealand) allows me to apply for a 30 day visa on arrival.

It doesn't seem like I am able to extend this type of visa. I need my passport for work, so I don't have enough days to send it to my embassy for a longer visa before I leave.

Are visa-runs a good idea? Do I need to provide proof that I will leave the country during my stay? And how long will I need to leave for?

Will I be let into the country if my initial flight tickets show that I will stay for 36 days?

Edited by jokering

Thank you. I got confused searching it up on Google and found a post on Migrationoly saying visa cannot be extended if you "landed or crossed into the country and received a visa upon arrival."

You are right though. It does seem to be a "visa exemption" for NZers. Would I be correct in assuming I go to an immigration office for this and pay the 1900 baht?

Would there be any complications on arrival if they see I am staying longer than 30 days? Or will airport customs understand that can apply for an extension?

Going by the Visa Exemption information sheet (Tourist Exemption) from the Thai Embassy in Wellington, the answer would be no.

Hence the advice from the Embassy to obtain the single or multi entry Tourist Visa (Tourist Visa).

There are work around solutions that could enable a 36 day stay.

Risk a lapse in airline and immigration screening that may preclude you boarding the aircraft, or clearing immigration. 

Then you have a choice of either:

Risking a 6 day overstay and pay approximately NZ$150 as a fine upon leaving, fingers crossed you don't get caught through a random check while on overstay.

Applying for an extension at Phuket Immigration would be at a cost of THB1900 (approximately NZ$90 and you may subject you to hassle for not having proof of onward travel, maybe it wont.

Prior to setting of on your travels, purchase a "refundable" airline ticket or a cheap (Air Asia) disposable ticket to fulfill the onward travel out of Thailand requirement, scheduled towards the end of your 30 day stay, and then applying for the extension would the course of action I would take if I didn't have sufficient time to obtain the Tourist Visa.

Douggie and Paula at the Kiwi Sports bar in Karon will make you feel most welcome (sorry, Moderators for the unofficial plug).

Safe travels.  

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

That is very old and outdated info. Some of it is over 10 years out of date.

The 90 days in 6 months rule was rescinded in 2008. That is when the 15 days at land borders started but that was rescinded when the 2 visa exempt entry per calendar year at land border went into effect in December of 2016.

Extensions of the 30 day visa exempt entry has been possible since August of 2014 when a new police order was issued.

Although part of the criteria is "outdated" having been repealed and/or replaced (for which I have not redacted from the requirements). 

This is still being reiterated from the Embassy in Wellington as being current, the front-line staff of airlines that service Thailand from NZ, pause, check and re-check validity prior to boarding using entry criteria.

The crux of the matter is trying to "embark from New Zealand" to Thailand for a thirty-six day pass with only a listed entitlement of thirty days visa exemption, which is also subject to a Thai Immigration Officer's discretion then allowing entry, possibly could be shades of grey, from which the OP is trying to navigate away from for simple vacation purposes.

Edited by Paul Catton
grammar
  • Sad 1

a ticket out of Thaiand within 30 days of arrival, could be required by airline check in staff, a cheap through away ticket could be one answer to this potential problem.

air asia flight hat yai to Kuala Lumpur on the 22nd march 930 baht

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

That is very old and outdated info. Some of it is over 10 years out of date.

The 90 days in 6 months rule was rescinded in 2008. That is when the 15 days at land borders started but that was rescinded when the 2 visa exempt entry per calendar year at land border went into effect in December of 2016.

Extensions of the 30 day visa exempt entry has been possible since August of 2014 when a new police order was issued.

Is it any wonder that you are considered to be the Oracle of "All things Thai Immigration - and the disclaimer, wait for Joe". Thai MFA-R.T.P Immigration should bring you out of retirement/leisure/gainful employment and get you to sort their shit out.

6 minutes ago, steve187 said:

a ticket out of Thaiand within 30 days of arrival, could be required by airline check in staff, a cheap through away ticket could be one answer to this potential problem.

air asia flight hat yai to Kuala Lumpur on the 22nd march 930 baht

THB930 = approximately NZ$45

Thank you for your reply guys. Great news that I can extend the stay!

I have a return ticket out of Thailand on the 36th day but this probably won't be good enough based on your comments.

Guess I will buy a disposable ticket. Kind of a roundabout way, but seems like I don't have a choice.

BTW, does anybody remember if it is the airline check-in (before my flight into Thailand), or the customs in Thailand that require the return ticket proof?

34 minutes ago, jokering said:

Thank you for your reply guys. Great news that I can extend the stay!

I have a return ticket out of Thailand on the 36th day but this probably won't be good enough based on your comments.

Guess I will buy a disposable ticket. Kind of a roundabout way, but seems like I don't have a choice.

BTW, does anybody remember if it is the airline check-in (before my flight into Thailand), or the customs in Thailand that require the return ticket proof?

If you have a return ticket then that will be good enough for the airline.

It's the airline check-in that's checks if you have a return ticket. They don't care if its 36th day.  They know you can easily get the 30 day extension at Phuket immigration office or Patong office.

You just fly into Phuket, get the 30 day entry stamp (free) and within the 30 days get a 30 day extension for 1,900 baht.  It's no big deal.

43 minutes ago, Flying Clog said:

I fly in and out of Phuket every week as I commute to work somewhere else in SE Asia. I've never once in 7 years been asked by immigration on the way in for a return ticket. 

My passport fills up with these damn stamps rapidly though, which is a pain!

It's not Thai immigration that asks for this. It's the airline has to check you have a return ticket out of Thailand as they are responsible for passenger bounce back. I know - back in the day when I was just flying in on 30 day stamp I have been refused boarding twice for no return ticket and no tourist or other visa. Once in Singapore and once in Korea. Both case I bought a fully refundable ticket Phuket to KL and cashed in the ticket in Phuket after arrival.  

Edit - just for the record many times I was boarded to Thailand with no return ticket. Just depends on how vigilant the airline staff are. Caught out twice.

Edited by LivinginKata
  • Like 2

The only place I've been asked for a return ticket was in Australia. I didn't have one as Phuket is home, therefore I'm always given a return ticket home. The check-in lady would not check me in. I asked for her supervisor, explained that I lived in Thailand (showed him all my stamps) and then asked him to show me the rule whereby you have to have a return ticket. He fetched what he called their "bible" of rules and regulations that check-in staff must adhere to. Lo and behold. No rule forbidding me to fly to Thailand with a one way ticket. They let me board.

After that episode, every time I flew out of Australia, I got my agency to print out a ticket out of Thailand which was cancelled a soon as I got home.

42 minutes ago, Joe Mcseismic said:

The only place I've been asked for a return ticket was in Australia. I didn't have one as Phuket is home, therefore I'm always given a return ticket home. The check-in lady would not check me in. I asked for her supervisor, explained that I lived in Thailand (showed him all my stamps) and then asked him to show me the rule whereby you have to have a return ticket. He fetched what he called their "bible" of rules and regulations that check-in staff must adhere to. Lo and behold. No rule forbidding me to fly to Thailand with a one way ticket. They let me board.

After that episode, every time I flew out of Australia, I got my agency to print out a ticket out of Thailand which was cancelled a soon as I got home.

As long as you have an extension of stay with re-entry permit or valid visa an exit ticket is not required. Don't have that it is required.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Joe Mcseismic said:

Nope, I was using visa exemption.

That means it is required.

If they follow Thai law they have to ask for it. And to help them with this it is mentioned in the IATA files, you can check there online yourself for required paperwork.

2 hours ago, stevenl said:

That means it is required.

If they follow Thai law they have to ask for it. And to help them with this it is mentioned in the IATA files, you can check there online yourself for required paperwork.

It's "mentioned". So it could be a suggestion, or, recommendation, but, maybe not a law.

Why is it that anyone can fly into Thailand with the return half of a two-way ticket from Singapore, Malaysia, Vietnam, Myanmar and Japan if it is a law as you state?

10 minutes ago, Joe Mcseismic said:

It's "mentioned". So it could be a suggestion, or, recommendation, but, maybe not a law.

Why is it that anyone can fly into Thailand with the return half of a two-way ticket from Singapore, Malaysia, Vietnam, Myanmar and Japan if it is a law as you state?

No, it's by law.

If you want to have this discussion, have it in the visa forum. Giving incorrect information here about something like this is dangerous.

• Like 1

I would not talk too much about "I need my passport for work, so I don't have enough days to send it to my embassy."  It makes it sound like you are working in Thailand on a tourist visa, which is a violation. 

2 hours ago, Joe Mcseismic said:

As I previously posted. I live in Phuket. Before I had my yearly extensions I traveled to Singapore on assignment. My return journey on my return ticket I was refused boarding as I had no outward from Thailand ticket. This applies only to a stamp on arrival in Thailand - 30 days only.

That is a fact and what you state is incorrect.  Now that I have an extension I can fly back to Thailand on a return ticket only. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Joe Mcseismic said:

I must have been the exception that proves the rule, then. Or, maybe the Aussie supervisor just wanted rid of me.

Nowadays, I don't use the visa exempt anymore.

PS. At least you don't flounce.

Not an exception, Also on return from Seoul Korea. Had to buy a ticket PHT to KL before I could board. In Singers I happened to have a still valid one year ticket BKK to LDN that I never used.

But also I got away with no ticket out of Thailand in my first 2 years in Thailand using 30 day stamp quite a few times. LDN Heathrow not so picky. 2 times out of Singers. Just your luck.

Back in my early Phuket days I was still working and living in Phuket with no visa, just 30 day stamp. So 30 days enough. Could not do that today.  

On 3/13/2019 at 11:23 AM, Paul Catton said:

This is still being reiterated from the Embassy in Wellington as being current, the front-line staff of airlines that service Thailand from NZ, pause, check and re-check validity prior to boarding using entry criteria.

The Thai Embassy in Wellington is a great place to get misinformation. For visa info, you'll get much better info on this forum.

I have beeen going to Thailand for years and only o ce was l asked to prove l had a return ticket and that was the Thai embassy in WA because l was apply for a 6 month visa which they don't do anymore, on every other occasion flying into Bangkok not once was ever asked to show return ticket, just go to immigration and get an extension 1900baht can take a few hours so get there first thing, someone there will help you fill out form

A word of advice: do NOT leave it until the last minute to extend your stay!

The office may be closed for a Buddhist holiday, or you may arrive too late to be seen on the day. Give yourself some breathing space.

I had a slight issue once in the past year or so, flying US to BKK with a return ticket. The return was about 34 days after departure, and the woman at the check-in counter was very reluctant to issue my boarding passes. She had looked up the visa requirement for Thailand and saw that a visa exempt entry permitted a stay of only 30 days. I had to do a lot of explaining about how a visa exempt entry can be extended for another 30 days in-country by going down to Immigration and paying $50 for a new stamp. She finally relented, but the point here is sometimes they do check.