American tourist attacked by armed gang after stopping robbery on Koh Phi Phi

snoop1130

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Despite photos of injuries, something doesn't sound right to me. It's night time, you see someone approach unguarded property on the beach, and you "know" they are up to no good and leap into action, totally confident that the person is a thief? The thief has time to check the purse and get what he's after, but instead of running away, comes back almost immediately with three buddies armed with weapons, risking being identified and apprehended, and making future sneak thievery on the beach more difficult because of the publicity surrounding this incident?

What about the theft victim? What happened to her? Seems like finding her to confirm that a theft actually took place would be a pretty important piece of evidence. And the part about a cop on a moped? I've never seen a cop on a moped. Don't they mostly have motorcycles? And in fairness to the cops, someone who is bleeding about the head, and has multiple bruises about his body, is told to come down to the police station the next day to make a report? No medical assistance? No investigation to see where the incident occurred? No effort to find the owner of the property or other witnesses? Could it have happened? Yes. Do I think that's what really happened? As I said, I have my doubts.

o im an american lol. I'm from alaska and live in cambodia.  this story is weird to me. of coarse it might be real- then again it might not lol.  theres something about the girl in the story that doesn't add up. not many thais swim yet alone leave their purse on the beach unattended. was it a foreigner? i might of missed that part. she seemed to have disappeared after. the guy takes pic and no pics. i don't know, maybe its the fact he's got so many followers lol. maybe I'm a hater lol.

Threads like this make me laugh.
Seems like a common occurrence ( 3 onto 1 ) yet people are already slating the guy for not whipping out his phone and videoing it ( with 3 guys bearing down on him armed with wooden weapons ), called him a liar, somehow connected it to the tsunami (????) and called him a kosher American ([emoji848]).

Why don’t we see it as it is ?
A guy sees some wrongdoing, decides to help, pays for that decision !!

Happens often, wherever you are.

11 hours ago, DaRoadrunner said:

Welcome to Phi Phi. That's what often happens when one confronts a Thai, he goes to get his friends to help. Our American is lucky to be alive. If they do anything at all, Thai Police will finger some Burmese for the job.

Imagine what would happen if some Farangs beat the crap out of a Thai..... Ah that's different isn't it.

Wouldn't need "some" to do it

Why are people so quick to buy these stories ? It may be 100% true or it may be a made up story for his 40k followers. his website, his travel blog etc. 

It wouldnt be the first time these stories get made up, exaggerated, embellished etc, for the benefit of a travel blog etc. Or to cover up getting drunk or in a fight etc.

The beach at Phi Phi , at night, is full of backpackers having a mini fullmoon party, who goes swimming at night ? Did the guy actually go to the police the next day as requested. No further mention of the damsel in distress. Accusations of the police being in on it, sharing the spoils of the gangs activities, based on what ???

Lets look at this logically, you have a lucrative little venture robbing tourist bags on the beach, then get caught. why would you return to the scene, where you could be videoed, identified etc. you would sneak off home lay low and start thieving again in a couple of days.

Lots of these stories, the truth comes out in a couple of days, and its often a case of most of the story has been made up, a bike accident, a drunken fight, fell down stairs etc. But none of these stories sell or benefit the blogger. These stories are big business nowadays .

Do people recall the story a couple of months ago about a guy in Phuket dumped by the side of the road then bashed and robbed, turned out 100% made up.

11 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Threads like this make me laugh.
Seems like a common occurrence ( 3 onto 1 ) yet people are already slating the guy for not whipping out his phone and videoing it ( with 3 guys bearing down on him armed with wooden weapons ), called him a liar, somehow connected it to the tsunami (????) and called him a kosher American (emoji848.png).

Why don’t we see it as it is ?
A guy sees some wrongdoing, decides to help, pays for that decision !!

Happens often, wherever you are.

Yes indeed it does.

1 hour ago, Emdog said:

I am skeptical the incident took place... doesn't pass the sniff test. Injuries real, perhaps a bike crash. Was he being sarcastic regarding "super helpful" policeman? Dude would be covered in blood, assume some emotional state & cop says "drop by tomorrow"? What about the swimming girl? No further mention of her...

I'm American, and we do have our share of odd balls, but the tone of the story & ending seems like just another tall tale from Thailand to wow his readers.

Maybe later I'll meet up with all the special forces retirees that seem to populate Pattaya and get their opinions

LOL !!! ???????????? Motorbike Accident on Koh Phi Phi Don 

1 hour ago, JohnOFphon said:

Why didn't he take out his phone or camera and make a vid of the thief..he could of shown that to the local police and they would track down the bad guy right away.....ya think?

I did that one time (not in Thailand) and the prick ripped my Iphone out of my hand and threw it very high in the air, landed on the road, smashed to smitharines. And get this, the dumbass cop faulted me.

My guess is, had the "hero" done what I did, he may not have been alive to post about it.

1 hour ago, Emdog said:

I am skeptical the incident took place... doesn't pass the sniff test. Injuries real, perhaps a bike crash. Was he being sarcastic regarding "super helpful" policeman? Dude would be covered in blood, assume some emotional state & cop says "drop by tomorrow"? What about the swimming girl? No further mention of her...

I'm American, and we do have our share of odd balls, but the tone of the story & ending seems like just another tall tale from Thailand to wow his readers.

Maybe later I'll meet up with all the special forces retirees that seem to populate Pattaya and get their opinions

Im with you, too many holes in the story and buys right into what the readership want to believe, tourist crime, thai gangs, corrupt police, etc.

Unfortunately, "I was pissed and fell over" stories dont seem to get the same coverage.

1 minute ago, kwak250 said:

I once helped pick up an old mans motobike he had fell off after he hit the curb and my wife said not to ss he will say you knocked him off.

Luckily he was to shitfaced and wobbled off again .

I've been warned about that in the past too.

1 hour ago, jesimps said:

There's always one to offer up excuses isn't there! Take off those rosie specs, this story is not about a kind taxi driver, which had lots of likes and praise for some Thais. These Thai scum rightly deserve criticism.

"these thai scum deserve criticism"

were they thai?

27 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Im with you, too many holes in the story and buys right into what the readership want to believe, tourist crime, thai gangs, corrupt police, etc.

Unfortunately, "I was pissed and fell over" stories dont seem to get the same coverage.

There are plenty of nutcases and story tellers in Thailand that’s for sure .

2 minutes ago, pi2005ni said:

Sometimes I feel people on TV lie about their wife's social standing, qualifications and willingness to pay for everything.

17 minutes ago, pi2005ni said:

And many with a vested interest in telling stories, bloggers, infuencers etc. This story, true or not, will probably get picked up (and paid for) by a british tabloid etc. 40K followers and a sensationalist story are big business nowadays.

Here is a quick calculation of how much a post on a 40k follower instagram account is worth, a post will make the guy $200 dollars a post. Maybe $400 dollars a post in the near future after this latest marketing exercise. There is a vested interest to post these stories, and even make them up.

Its the new tabloid journalism , with no checks and balances

90% of the public will buy the story no questions asked, most will actually back it up.

image.png.c99dad77d4ac6ed53cdc2f6f0c4886ea.png

Quite unbelievable how many replies to this report completely missed the authors intension to be "super sarcastic" when referring to the police officer being "super helpful" by telling him to come back to the police office the following day at 10am giving the perps time to fully dissapear! "Super predictable" on the part of the RTP.

You doubters.  And grammar police.  His English and story seem fine to me.  I think his story will have an impact on tourism.  40 k followers on Instagram and looking at had account gives him cred.   maybe I should say something like if Americans have been traveling to Thailand more the last 30 years the place would be a better place to live and safer and cleaner all you wimps. 

Archived