US Social Security direct deposit

Having a difficult time getting the US Embassy in manila to respond to my emails or answer their phones...I set up a "my account" years ago and cannot find my username/password and it has blocked me from further attempts. Does anyone have the link to print out the form for changing your direct deposit account. Seems I saw Ubon Joe post it but cannot find it now. Also Bangkok Bank Krabi main branch did not know what a direct deposit account was and after 45 minutes they decided I needed a fixed account so set one up but fear it may be the wrong one to receive my direct deposits from SS through the New York branch of Bangkok Bank

The bank officer was probably confused by you calling it a direct deposit account. All you really need is a regular THB savings account. When you send money over, it is automatically converted to THB. If you want to convert USD to THB yourself, then you would also need a foreign currency account, then you would convert it to THB at your convenience. That's what I do...

Edited by JohnnyBD

6 minutes ago, JohnnyBD said:

The bank officer was probably confused by you calling it a direct deposit account. All you really need is a THB savings account. When you send money over, it is automatically converted to THB. If you want to convert USD to THB yourself, then you would also need a foreign currency account, then you would convert it to THB at your convenience. That's what I do...

cool...I keep being told that my savings account will not work for this and I must open a direct deposit account, then can transfer it at the counter into my savings so I can use my atm, etc....who knows? So I opened up what they called a "fixed" account also. Now cannot get the form to change my direct deposit due to not having access to the "My Account". I forgot my login details and last night they blocked me from too many attempts. Been one of those days...weeks....

9 minutes ago, JohnnyBD said:

The bank officer was probably confused by you calling it a direct deposit account. All you really need is a regular THB savings account. When you send money over, it is automatically converted to THB. If you want to convert USD to THB yourself, then you would also need a foreign currency account, then you would convert it to THB at your convenience. That's what I do...

A regular savings account with only passbook access (that is key factor).  

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Why do you say "with only passbook access"? Does SS have to go in an account where you are required to go in-person to withdraw monies. Just learning... I am not SS age yet...

Edited by JohnnyBD
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, JohnnyBD said:

Why do you say "with only passbook access"? My THB savings account has an ATM card tied to it where I can withdraw monies from an ATM and that is what I use and that is accepted...

Johnny is that with a Social Security direct deposit?f so...I am already setif I could only get the for from SS

1 minute ago, bunta71 said:

Johnny is that with a Social Security direct deposit?f so...I am already setif I could only get the for from SS

Better you ask Ubonjoe about SS direct deposits. I am not on SS yet and I do international transfers to Thailand.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JohnnyBD said:

Better you ask Ubonjoe about SS direct deposits. I am not on SS yet and I do international transfers to Thailand.

OK tried sending a message to him this morning...it said I cannot message him...He is the guy though. Thanks again Johnny

https://www.ssa.gov/

here you will find answers to your questions and you can change the password also, the log in process is completely different than before, you need to confirm the log in with a code send to your registered e-mail address, the FAQ has a lot of options for you to change the access to your account but you need your SS#, sometimes accessing from Thailand doesn't work, you may need a VPN as for an answer from Manila... I have been waiting for more than 1 year, good luck

21 minutes ago, JohnnyBD said:

Why do you say "with only passbook access"? Does SS have to go in an account where you are required to go in-person to withdraw monies. Just learning... I am not SS age yet...

Exactly.  Bangkok Bank is responsible for refund to SS of any money dispersed after death so it is protection.  You have to visit bank and withdraw or transfer funds in person.  I do not receive SS so can not provide details but that is a requirement for direct deposit.

• Like 1

The impression I have gotten from SS Manila is they have no time to answer anything. I keep getting an automatic e-mail reply that I must wait 5 business days before trying to contact them again … what they mean to say is "good luck and see if Jesus will help you"

1 minute ago, crees said:

The impression I have gotten from SS Manila is they have no time to answer anything. I keep getting an automatic e-mail reply that I must wait 5 business days before trying to contact them again … what they mean to say is "good luck and see if Jesus will help you"

i'm having the same experience. no response, no help.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, crees said:

Seems Jesus won't help either as usual....crazy and so important,but Lopburi's clue helped...now if I could only get that form...

26 minutes ago, bunta71 said:

OK tried sending a message to him this morning...it said I cannot message him...He is the guy though. Thanks again Johnny

You must of been sending it to somebody else.

This is form that is needed. https://www.gsa.gov/cdnstatic/SF1199A-12a.pdf?forceDownload=1

Once completed it has to sent to the Bangkok Bank main office and the will email it to the embassy.

You need a direct deposit account set up like you had before or already.

Info is here: https://www.bangkokbank.com/en/Personal/Other-Services/Transfers/Transferring-Into-Thailand/Transfer-money-from-US-to-Thailand-via-Bangkok-Bank-NewYork-branch 

There is a new form for IDD but that has not been started yet. 

• Like 1

I Googled and found the form SSA-1199-OP107.pdf , used it, e-mailed it in and ???? SS Manila has not replied in the last few weeks. I would suggest trying to go around Manilla if possible, they don't seem to have anyone in that office

1 hour ago, lopburi3 said:

and an address in Thailand! Told to me by Bangkok Banks main office

1 hour ago, bunta71 said:

cool...I keep being told that my savings account will not work for this and I must open a direct deposit account, then can transfer it at the counter into my savings so I can use my atm, etc

Johnny's advice above was wrong, and the advice elsewhere in the thread was correct.

You cannot have U.S. Social Security direct deposited into a "regular" savings account at BKKB that comes with a debit card. It has to be a special account set up specifically for the SS direct deposit, and that includes not having an associated debit card.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, crees said:

Thankyou, just wondering if this form will work for direct payments from the American VA

Looks  like  it is set up to, as one of the payment categories to check of is VA

• Like 1