Compulsory ?

2 hours ago, Pilotman said:

But to state the obvious, if you do intend to rent a scooter or motorbike, in the event of an accident and injury,  travel insurance will not pay out unless you have a valid licence to ride that type of vehicle. 

No right that's what CTPL is for. ????????????

12 hours ago, onera1961 said:

Why Government want to do that? They can push everybody to private insurance to enrich insurance company's coffers. They are smart and the talk in underway in various circles of Thai government.

They can only enrich insurers coffers if the policy is from a Thai insurer. Not all policies are from Thai companies otherwise nobody over 65 could come to live in Thailand.

On 3/15/2019 at 8:11 AM, AlexRich said:

Good point ... your insurance company will do what it can to avoid paying out.

I had a fall which could have been more serious than it was, still required some dental work and crowns.

Never had a fall before, but thanks to the craze for slippery floor tiles and bad footpaths can easily happen irrespective of age.

Not mention the drivers and riders 

The insurance company paid ALL costs, supplied receipts and dental/medical reports. All settled within 10 days

21 hours ago, BritManToo said:

They stopped doing 'routine checkups' in the UK, apparently it was costing too much money in unnecessary operations.

Couldn't trust the doctors not to drum up a little extra work.

Don't trust them,

Will only go when I have a clearly identifiable condition where I can cross check with the internet.

Dr Google not really a qualified health professional

• Haha 1

On 3/15/2019 at 7:10 AM, gk10002000 said:

and even if you do have insurance, make sure you read the details.  Often vehicle insurance policies require one to have a valid driver license for the type of vehicle you are renting.  So if you plan on renting a motorbike in Thailand, probably should have a motorbike license in your home country or a very good insurance policy

in regards to DL .. you will need a thai drivers license OR an international drivers license with motorcycle endorsement ..   the rental shops will give it to you without all this but not the insurance comp ...  a motorcycle license from your own country is only step one .. In usa AAA is great for idl  ... 20.00 usd

• Like 1

Not compulsory.

What type of insurance are you referring to.

Private hospitals won’t treat you without some type of proof of payment.......insurance, then the hospital will get a Letter of Guarantee from your insurance company.

If no insurance, they will require a 50% deposit based on the estimate of your forecasted total cost.

Government hospitals are getting stricter after being burned for Billions of BHAT from expats running out on the bill.

That govt just recently formed a new agency to chase down and try collecting from deadbeats.

2 minutes ago, Captain 776 said:

Not compulsory.

What type of insurance are you referring to.

Private hospitals won’t treat you without some type of proof of payment.......insurance, then the hospital will get a Letter of Guarantee from your insurance company.

If no insurance, they will require a 50% deposit based on the estimate of your forecasted total cost.

Government hospitals are getting stricter after being burned for Billions of BHAT from expats running out on the bill.

That govt just recently formed a new agency to chase down and try collecting from deadbeats.

Never been to a Thai hospital eh? 

4 hours ago, Captain 776 said:

The claim being made is 300M in the past year, though w/o enough detail in this article:

A suggested solution was ...

They and other foreigners planning to stay in Thailand for one year would be able to buy up to Bt40,000 worth of outpatient coverage and Bt400,000 of inpatient coverage. 

Outpatient insurance is a rip-off. This is a scam to bolster sales of an undesirable product - similar to that being "force-marketed" with Non-O-X Visas.

I do think there should be "emergency and repatriate" insurance - only for use in public-hospitals - which every visitor must purchase, based on the permitted-stay being applied for (on entry or by extension).  This would eliminate the problem for Thailand, but at the lowest cost to visitors and expats.  Rates could be varied by the level of use by others from the visitor's passport-country.

Those wanting long-term care can buy it at market-rates.

On 3/14/2019 at 3:36 PM, AlexRich said:

No, you do not need insurance. But best to be insured in Thailand, especially if you plan to hire scooters or do anything adventurous.

Also, check with your insurance about hiring scooters, motos whatever. Many insurance companies will NOT cover you if you have an accident while driving a scooter or motorcycle that you rented. And check out "adventurous and recklessness" also. Diving off the shallow end of a swimming pool comes to mind.

On 3/15/2019 at 11:00 AM, Kwasaki said:

Getting Thai cover is possible for expats they don't need to have global cover. 

Thanks for the advice. Been looking at Health Plans which commence at 6,000 USD per annum with no existing conditions. Didn't realise those provided cover World-wide. 

32 minutes ago, The Fugitive said:

Thanks for the advice. Been looking at Health Plans which commence at 6,000 USD per annum with no existing conditions. Didn't realise those provided cover World-wide. 

Been looking at a few myself, most specify Worldwide Excl USA.

3 hours ago, The Fugitive said:

Good for you that's a cheap one,  age is the main problem with Health Plans for people in Thailand many have to self insure and take as much care of their health as possible. 

I was told today by a lady at Aetna that mandatory insurance for ex-pats is in the works.

She told me a few stories about people skipping out on bills one recently at Bangkok-Pats hospital for 5 million.

Anyway, the requirements will be:

400,000 in patient

40,000 out patient 

Insurance companies will adjust their programs to meet this rule.

11 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

I was told today by a lady at Aetna that mandatory insurance for ex-pats is in the works.

She told me a few stories about people skipping out on bills one recently at Bangkok-Pats hospital for 5 million.

Anyway, the requirements will be:

400,000 in patient

40,000 out patient 

Insurance companies will adjust their programs to meet this rule.

Be good if there was affordable insurance for those of us who have reached 70 and pre-existing conditions.

I have to say that my only claim ever on Travel Insurance was settled quickly and efficiently when I had to have some emergency dental following a fall, (slippery tiles)