Sell Condo to then put 800,000 into bank ?????

1 hour ago, steve73 said:

As far as I know 800k has NEVER been a minimum amount required to live here.

You’re right. I didn’t make my point clearly. When you first arrive, and you’re using cash in the bank, you need 800K in the bank PLUS living expenses. That means you can’t retire to Thailand with only 800K in the bank because you need living expenses on top. So the minimum is more than 800K. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, berybert said:

If you sell the house and put the money in the bank how do you prove the money came from abroad ? 

Showing this is only required for an initial Non-O Stamp from immigration - not for an ongoing extension. 

If starting fresh, showing this is also not needed for a Non-O Visa from a consulate abroad, the use of which avoids needing the Non-O stamp from immigration in the first place. 

1 hour ago, attrayant said:

Just think about that for a moment.

To get a retirement stay, you have to prove you can support yourself financially by showing 800K in the bank that... you can't touch to support yourself for five months of the year.

Isn't that crazy... it makes no sense... but show you have 65k each month (could be recycled) and that's ok.

13 hours ago, thaitero said:

There are a lot of people living on retirement extensions who do not have glue about  requirements to get retirement extension by real rules because they have used agents to get their stamps. 

Now it is time to learn ????

The clever ones use agents that will still do at the same price next year....why loose 7% on 800k a year, its a lot more than the 12-15k agent fee

5 hours ago, attrayant said:

To get a retirement stay, you have to prove you can support yourself financially by showing 800K in the bank that... you can't touch to support yourself for five months of the year.

What do people use to live on for the current 3 months they can't touch the money?

If you spend the money it needs replacing somehow, so you've always needed 800K plus living expenses to use this method!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, berybert said:

If you sell the house and put the money in the bank how do you prove the money came from abroad ? 

You don't - as a rule - have to prove where the money came from when applying for an extension of stay. But proof of the origin of the funds would have been required to buy the property.

"I was silly enough to take my cash out of the Kasikorn bankto buy a condo (mortgage free)."

That was a neat trick ...it normally has to come from outside Thailand?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, baansgr said:

The clever ones use agents that will still do at the same price next year....why loose 7% on 800k a year, its a lot more than the 12-15k agent fee

Prices have gone up - the IOs gave themselves a "corruption money raise" under the fake-cover of "cracking down on corruption" with the new rules.  Just imagine Orwell's description of "doublespeak" as an instruction-manual on how to run an agency's public relations and policy, and then it all makes sense.

But even at the higher rates, it may still incur less financial and hassle forms of pain to pay off Immigration via agents, as many offices clearly prefer. 

3 hours ago, dotpoom said:

"I was silly enough to take my cash out of the Kasikorn bankto buy a condo (mortgage free)."

That was a neat trick ...it normally has to come from outside Thailand?

As long as the money in his Kasikorn bank originated outside Thailand (unless he worked a Thai job and saved it that way), there should not be a problem. 

On 3/16/2019 at 10:10 AM, EricTh said:

My house is worth more than the 800k, immigration should take into account our property purchases as well.

The 800k is (or rather was) about having the money to live off. A condo is not that. 

• Like 1

Sure you are not seeing the logic. Having even a 10 million condo doesn't mean you have money to spend on your daily needs. They don't care what is the cost of your condo. They want you to be able to spend at least 65000 a month. You don't really have to spend it but they want to know that you can if you want.

When you spend money Thai people earn, they invest in business etc. But just buying a condo doesn't help them at all.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, mrfaroukh said:

Sure you are not seeing the logic. Having even a 10 million condo doesn't mean you have money to spend on your daily needs. They don't care what is the cost of your condo.

Actually, 10M gets you an investment-based extension of stay (if a new condo(s) was(were) purchased).  No check on income is part of that scheme - nor the "elite visa" scheme. 

They want you to be able to spend at least 65000 a month. You don't really have to spend it but they want to know that you can if you want.

Unfortunately, due to recent rule-changes, the 800K Baht is "locked up" for 5 months/yr, and 1/2 of it the rest of the year.  The rationale used to be it was "money to spend" - but not anymore.

What they say rules are "for" is often at odds with logic/reality.  They seem to just make up baseless rationales as needed to support whatever underlying agenda is dominant (paying them off) at the time.

When you spend money Thai people earn, they invest in business etc. But just buying a condo doesn't help them at all.

I agree our foreign-sourced spending is great for Thailand - it literally creates jobs out of nothing, from their perspective.  But the reason condo-purchases are allowed (by foreigners) and encouraged, is because that is also economic-stimulation activity.

17 hours ago, attrayant said:

Sure, if one only has 800,000 b in their life and no other income or investments, etc.

Even city garbage collectors get some pension so I would ask that person what the heck they have done with their life?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Sure, if one only has 800,000 b in their life and no other income or investments, etc.

Even city garbage collectors get some pension so I would ask that person what the heck they have done with their life?

Sometimes it is not a question of what an individual has done with their life. Lots of times it is what others have done to that person's life. 2008 financial crisis is a prime example.

But your point is well taken, if 800K is all a person has and no income to add over the years it won't be long before the well runs dry.

Edited by jmd8800
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Caine said:

Sell your condo ???????????? you’ve got more chance of a tax rebate. Thousands of condos

they can’t give away on agents books.

Interesting you should mention it. I recently found out from a good friend how he and his attorney/visa agent does it. A foreigner with a condo needs money, so he goes to the attorney and borrows the money, no more than 50% loan to value, then the attorney has other foreigners like my friend as investors putting up the loaned monies. The attorney gets paid for his fees and takes a lien on the property and the investor gets 1% per month interest (12% APR) on the loan. If the property owner defaults, the attorney forecloses, puts the property up for rent & sale to generate income for the investor who collects the rent until it sells, then he is paid off. The attorney makes a profit on the property over and above the loan amount. My good friend told me he has 5 MM or so loaned out like that on several properties, some are paying and some are up for sale. He asked me if I was interested. I'm not. Now, I know why he gets such a cheap rate on his visa extension renewals from the attorney/visa agent.  

Edited by JohnnyBD

Just now, baansgr said:

Very few retirees own condos....most rent or have houses in their tiraks name

Yup, making it even harder to find buyers for these properties and with an even more unwilling gf to sign the sales papers when she learns he's gone soon. 

1 hour ago, JohnnyBD said:

A foreigner with a condo needs money, so he goes to the attorney and borrows the money, no more than 50% loan to value, then the attorney has other foreigners like my friend as investors putting up the loaned monies.

So, there is a way to get loan and put it in bank to get a visa if somebody owns a condo, say 1.6 mil. What is the going interest rate? 

Edited by onera1961