Pattaya: Thou shalt not drink! Election booze ban in force today as cops threaten jail

rooster59

2 minutes ago, dallen52 said:

The whole country hinges around two things.

Alcohol bans.

And idiot's on bikes killing themselves, and others. 

This is Thailand...????????????

It will take 2 generations too realise that driving around p*ssed and not wearing crash hats will stop all the deaths. Not unless the Police on a day too day basis fine everyone for not wearing a crash hat.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

6:01 PM. I draw the curtains and dim the lights, after first peeking out the window to make sure the minions of the junta arent looking. The street is clear, and Im safe.

The icebox is like a glittering temple of drunkenness, stuffed full with bottle of Chang. I cleaned out two 7-11s in anticipation of this moment. Loaded with beer, I laughed at the two knobs in Arsenal Wife beaters drooping and sobbing in the street in front of the bar. Let us in, let us in, they wailed, we have no place to go, no place to go, like Richard Gere in an Officer and a Gentleman, snot and spit as they sob and sniffle. hahahaha. Im prepared! I sit in the reclining chair I just bought (made in Thailand and already broken) and turn on footie (the cable is intermittent). The satisfying sound of the beer being opened. The ban is here, and I am safe. No silly rule will be able to stop my daily descent into an alcoholic haze........

That explains the fantastic increase of tourism figures which have reached 136% of the total capacity already and is still on the increase.

If Thai voters need, by low, to be kept away from booze during elections and Buddhist holidays (no other Buddhist country has that silly rule, by the way) then it might be, that the Thai voter should be educated. 

The millions of tourists in the land are going dry today and tomorrow with an encore coming weekend. On a 10 days vacation, on wrong timing, it means 40% no booze. Should not the (grown up) people decide, if what and when to consume?

Pathetic nonsense, this country is in free fall without hinderance into the abyss! 

3 hours ago, manhood said:

Guys, at the end it shows the big THAI problem with most everything.

They not want drunken thais vote wrong. But whatever they vote for will be anyway wrong...and to go to vote is a MUST in this country

Ah , maybe the ban is to stop drunks killing themselves on the way to vote !

21 minutes ago, Kim J said:

Thousands if you go to the right places. Some of the largest entertainment venues in Pattaya are catering for Thai's, not to mention the plethora of karaoke bars, snooker shops etc etc.

We are not talking about Bars catering for Thais but Bars who cater for tourists in the tourist areas not around 3rd Road etc which in general are teenagers Bars

1 hour ago, Benmart said:

You make good points reference the enforcement of traffic laws by the non-existant mobile, traffic patrols. The publicity driven mentality and photo ops addicted public officials are pathetic.

Absolutely - It always makes me squirm when I see the number of cops in a photo surrounding the "criminal" pointing at his "loot"!

6 hours ago, ezzra said:

would it really make a difference to how one's vote if he had a wee drink before? only in this country the impose this silly restrictions on polling day...

Yes, the reason for the alcohol ban is to prevent vote-buying, as before some politicians, would held parties the night before the voting day, expecting the guest to vote for the party-host...????

Pattaya runs on tourism. Lots of tourists come for the beer and the girls. So, what do the clowns do? They ban alcohol for elections and such that do not concern tourists in the least.

The Thai government are past masters at wrecking their economy. Yes, it's their country but there are other countries surrounding Thailand that would love to take the tourist dollars off them. I don't have to list them, you all know your geography.

More boneheaded stupidity from Thai officialdom.

4 hours ago, Billpro785 said:

Uh no, what are are the  UK expats  going to do ?? 

Do the same as me. Just been to my local bar for a couple of JD pre-prandials. Several bars open, several bars closed. Saw a couple of cops touring the area on their bikes, neither wearing helmets. It's just a bit of fun.

6 hours ago, ezzra said:

I always wondered why is the booze ban is all about? does the one who want to drink will not go and get a drink in many of the place that don't really care for the ban? would it really make a difference to how one's vote if he had a wee drink before? only in this country the impose this silly restrictions on polling day...

All flash and bang show. Law imposed just to show the seriousness of the election. You need a clear head to choose who you vote for. 

1 hour ago, Jumbo1968 said:

It will take 2 generations too realise that driving around p*ssed and not wearing crash hats will stop all the deaths. Not unless the Police on a day too day basis fine everyone for not wearing a crash hat.

Only when the value of human lives matter will the carnage go down. When economic progress spread to the masses, the masses will realized the value of their lives and act accordingly. Currently the elite can always pay their way out of jail while the cost of a human plebeian life in Thailand is cheap. And the enabling authorities will make the problem go away if amply compensated. 

I only read page 1 my question is what percent of posters in this thread are alcoholics?

I think the definition of an alcoholic is anybody who consumes 3 drinks in one session or has one drink more than 4 days a week.  Okay so one night overweight you can't buy booze but the next night after 6 you can buy booze so don't panic everyone you can plan ahead a little bit. 

5 minutes ago, Elkski said:

I only read page 1 my question is what percent of posters in this thread are alcoholics?

I think the definition of an alcoholic is anybody who consumes 3 drinks in one session or has one drink more than 4 days a week.  Okay so one night overweight you can't buy booze but the next night after 6 you can buy booze so don't panic everyone you can plan ahead a little bit. 

Nothing to do about farang people being alcoholics, it’s the Thai governments perception that some how Thai people will be influenced to who they vote for if they consume alcohol prior too voting.

Being from the U.K. where the Polling Stations open early till late people are not influenced by who they vote for depending on how much alcohol they have consumed.

Business through out Thailand who service the Tourist industry are effected by the ban including the Staff who will receive no salary during the ban.

9 hours ago, Henrik Andersen said:

No problem you can still buy alcohol from 5 pm to 6 pm

This ban only hurt walking street and beerbars and that is tourists places 

So this ban is ridiculous 

Why? 

You can't survive without hourly intake of booze??

2 hours ago, Elkski said:

You obviously have no clue about alcoholism, but profess to be an expert on the matter.

Alcoholism is more about dependency, and a lot of alcoholics need alcohol in their system, to function properly every day.

I know many people who drink nearly every day, albeit in moderation, but they are certainly not alcoholics, and have never needed to seek treatment for drinking.  

3 hours ago, Jumbo1968 said:

Nothing to do about farang people being alcoholics, it’s the Thai governments perception that some how Thai people will be influenced to who they vote for if they consume alcohol prior too voting.

Being from the U.K. where the Polling Stations open early till late people are not influenced by who they vote for depending on how much alcohol they have consumed.

Business through out Thailand who service the Tourist industry are effected by the ban including the Staff who will receive no salary during the ban.

My town dead tonight on busy, sometimes, tourist road.  For what?

So that a country with a laughable democracy can have face to say to the world, 'Look how serious we are about democracy.'

Tomorrow will be poor for business too.  But at least those who will post their vote will have a clear head.......to vote for any party that is more modern, progressive and does not think wearing a uniform is proof of virtue!

1 hour ago, Thaiwrath said:

I know many people who drink nearly every day, albeit in moderation, but they are certainly not alcoholics, and have never needed to seek treatment for drinking.  

I honestly believe that people who drink every day, or nearly every day, are by definition alcoholics, perhaps in denial, possibly even stable enough to not need treatment, but alcoholics nonetheless.

16 hours ago, Guderian said:

I sometimes wonder why people bother coming to Thailand when there are plenty of cheaper and friendlier places in SE Asia these days.

Agreed.  Thailand has made it clear that long stay-foreigners are not wanted only the money from the millionaire fortnighters. I'm checking out Vietnam.

18 hours ago, ezzra said:

I always wondered why is the booze ban is all about? does the one who want to drink will not go and get a drink in many of the place that don't really care for the ban? would it really make a difference to how one's vote if he had a wee drink before? only in this country the impose this silly restrictions on polling day...

actually not the only country, India has been doing the same for decades...

not that I think it's a good idea.

I asked my wife what was behind the alcohol ban and she said the government is afraid Thais will drink too much and forget about voting.  It really does speak to the Thai style of drinking, which is often 'binge style': bottle of favorite grain spirits, ice, and a mixer.  Thais rarely have enough money for a supply of booze in their homes, but on any given day can find a bottle for the evening, which will be consumed in its entirety.  We have a plot of nice bushes and shrubbery that leads to our condo complex.  On any given night, a gaggle of Thais will surround bottles of Chang.  This really is the poor working man's way of drinking.  As long as they clean up their mess, who cares.  A blanket ban is ridiculous, but you can kind of see the 'Thai logic' behind it. 

18 hours ago, ezzra said:

I had thought the same but now knowing a reason don't find it a problem.

It has nothing to do with individual drinkers, nothing to do with mom and pop shops.

It is to prevent big parties with free drinks influencing the votes, it is common knowledge that many locals have short memories so if they have just got free drinks from the Number “6“ candidate they a quite likely to vote for the Number “6“ candidate

Since it's virtually impossible to just ban those events a blanket booze ban is simple and works.

It has the side benefit of giving the habitual drinker a day or two off.

The alcoholics and determined drinkers will probably have booze stashed at home anyway.

12 hours ago, Elkski said:

Alcoholics can't plan ahead. Once they have booze, they drink it all up till they collapse. 

12 hours ago, Elkski said:

12 hours ago, Jumbo1968 said:

The thread actually is about the ban and perceptions of it's effect, through the eyes of the falang. I don't think many Thai are contributing here, this is a Falang post/thread/forum.

So yes, it is about falang and how it affects falang and is being discussed primarily by falang.

Who are divided, once again: the outraged drunks/drinkers/alchys (call them what you will), and the amused non-alchys.

I think it's a great idea for the populace to vote with a clear head.

I also appreciate when alcohol isn't available 24/7 as those with issues have to moderate and those of us without those issues have to deal a little less with the former's issues!

????

Archived