Demerit points on driving license

I have read somewhere that Thailand has started or will start issuing demerit points on your driver's license. Anyone know if it's in force already?

I just received a speeding ticket in the mail due to passing a photo box at above the speed limit and the column for demerit points was left blank so was wondering what offences warrant demerit points?

12 minutes ago, Inderpland said:

Thailand has started or will start issuing demerit points on your driver's license. Anyone know if it's in force already?

Not yet Police are pushing for a drivers' licence points system 12 points and your DL revoked, end of 1 year any points under 12 will be removed.

It's one of their latest efforts to improve the standards of driving and promote road safety.

The proposed amendment draft to the road traffic law has been examined by the Council for State and is to be forwarded to the cabinet for consideration. 

I think it will work, but the major issue is enforcement.

- Highway/Motorway/Major Roads high risk of getting caught because of more checkpoints/control.

- More rural roads very low risk as virtually no enforcement present

If they are going to remove points based on a speed camera then they will need to prove who the driver was, similar to Malaysia, where the ticket must clearly show the driver's face.  Otherwise I could speed across the country in my wife's car and she would lose her license.  Hmm...

Archived