May's Brexit deal in chaos as Speaker sparks 'constitutional crisis'

webfact

4 minutes ago, vogie said:

Is it riddle-mee-ree Wednesday or something, it doesn't say they would not give T May a short extension, please help me out here, what are you trying to tell me. There is nothing to chew on, we all knew that there was going to be an extension, she has asked for a short extension, most would have preferred to leave at the end of March but que cera cera. 

It is not up to the EU commission, which your link implies, but the 27 remaining countries of the EU. A no deal is still possible and would be the best option for all concerned, but let's check in another hour, it may have well have changed again.

...???? Big difference is that E.U. parliament is not as the H.O.C. soap  …. only little bit when Farage is present there :cheesy:

Much chance you get your no deal Brexit … as they let understand already by …."Accidental Brexit "

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, david555 said:

I think there could be a problem with the extension as asked by Pm May …, as asked up to 30 juni….

BUT this is behind the date of 26May E.U. elections and as a member still then ...so bound to organize E.U elections in the U.K.

Maybe this could be rejected because  that ….( voiced by E.U. officials ….)

Later to hear more about that I think , as letter just arrived to Tusk but already the voicing started ...as no real reason in it for delay art 50 

Here more the reason for a refusal in case up to 26 May (E.U. elections taking place 

“Any extension offered to the United Kingdom should either last until 23 May 2019 or should be significantly longer and require European elections,” the document said. “This is the only way of protecting the functioning of the EU institutions and their ability to take decisions.”

EU states which were due to receive additional legislative seats after Brexit would need to know by mid- to late April if they would be denied those seats because Britain was staying.

The note also said that in any extended membership, Britain should, “in a spirit of loyal cooperation”, commit to “constructive abstention” on key issues, such as the EU’s long-term budget and filling top EU posts after the May election.

The next European Parliament will start work/have its inaugural first session on July 2 only. So as long as the UK promises to leave after a 3 months extension there wouldn’t have to be elections.

19 minutes ago, david555 said:

I think there could be a problem with the extension as asked by Pm May …, as asked up to 30 juni….

BUT this is behind the date of 26May E.U. elections and as a member still then ...so bound to organize E.U elections in the U.K.

Maybe this could be rejected because  that ….( voiced by E.U. officials ….)

Later to hear more about that I think , as letter just arrived to Tusk but already the voicing started ...as no real reason in it for delay art 50 

Here more the reason for a refusal in case up to 26 May (E.U. elections taking place 

“Any extension offered to the United Kingdom should either last until 23 May 2019 or should be significantly longer and require European elections,” the document said. “This is the only way of protecting the functioning of the EU institutions and their ability to take decisions.”

EU states which were due to receive additional legislative seats after Brexit would need to know by mid- to late April if they would be denied those seats because Britain was staying.

The note also said that in any extended membership, Britain should, “in a spirit of loyal cooperation”, commit to “constructive abstention” on key issues, such as the EU’s long-term budget and filling top EU posts after the May election.

The PMs gambit is to have her short extension challenged on lawfulness of not holding EU elections. It was only last week that the gov.claimex a short extension would be reckless and irresponsible.

T May is hoping that with the UK having to hold EU elections ,will force her hand to extend the extension

3 minutes ago, damascase said:

The next European Parliament will start work/have its inaugural first session on July 2 only. So as long as the UK promises to leave after a 3 months extension there wouldn’t have to be elections.

Right …. BUT at 23 may as a member forced to organize elections ….. anyway it, is , was and stay's a wasp nest the hole Brexit saga ….and think E.U . had enough so I think all options are open now , Macron was also already opposing ... 

3 minutes ago, cleopatra2 said:

The PMs gambit is to have her short extension challenged on lawfulness of not holding EU elections. It was only last week that the gov.claimex a short extension would be reckless and irresponsible.

T May is hoping that with the UK having to hold EU elections ,will force her hand to extend the extension

Unless the short extension gets extended by an extensive excess of long extensions until we are all extinct!

20 minutes ago, cleopatra2 said:

That could be also a nasty T.M trick …..

But...https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2019/03/20/brexit-latest-news-theresa-may-wont-seek-long-delay-article/?li_source=LI&li_medium=li-recommendation-widget

Live

Brexit latest news: Theresa May suggests she will resign if MPs force her to request a longer Article 50 extension

And as we all now by now she never lie.....:cheesy:

1 minute ago, nauseus said:

Unless the short extension gets extended by an extensive excess of long extensions until we are all extinct!

Don't worry the E.U. shall put the surviving few Brits on the list for protected species ….:biggrin:

15 minutes ago, damascase said:

It is irrelevant when the new Parliament session starts.Come election day the UK is still a full member of the EU and as such bound by the treaties. Every EU citizen has the rights to not only vote but stand in the elections.

3 minutes ago, cleopatra2 said:

It is irrelevant when the new Parliament session starts.Come election day the UK is still a full member of the EU and as such bound by the treaties. Every EU citizen has the rights to not only vote but stand in the elections.

Go for it !!!!!!   ????

7 minutes ago, cleopatra2 said:

I assume that in the case of a 3 months extension, not having to organise elections for a Parliament in which the UK would not be represented would be part of the ‘deal’.

10 minutes ago, damascase said:

I assume that in the case of a 3 months extension, not having to organise elections for a Parliament in which the UK would not be represented would be part of the ‘deal’.

And any one in the E.U. can make a legal case against that with risk to get annulled the whole election , some mentioned that already, Mr. Selmayer the tacticus from the E.U commission !!…….

in the U.K there was also such a case , a certain lady started something against Gov.    forgot the name ….a Gina ...:wink:

Emergency debate asked by Labor Keith Starmer and on the spot granted by the speaker of the house and started ...about the asked extension for art 50 ….seems they find Pm. May made some things not so correct (my understanding , not just understanding it at full..)

And ….

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2019/mar/20/brexit-latest-news-letter-article-50-extension-pmqs-theresa-may-bends-to-pressure-from-tory-brexiters-and-rules-out-asking-for-long-article-extension-politics-live?page=with:block-5c9256d8e4b0480f6c02290d#block-5c9256d8e4b0480f6c02290d

48m ago 14:35

Paris says UK will only get article 50 extension if May can guarantee her deal will be passed

The French government is taking a tough stance on the possibility of extending article 50. Reuters snapped these two lines a few minutes ago.

FRENCH FOREIGN MINISTER: OUR MESSAGE ON BREXIT IS CLEAR: RATIFY THE DEAL OR LEAVE WITHOUT AN AGREEMENT

FRENCH FOREIGN MINISTER: IF MAY CANNOT OFFER GUARANTEES HER BREXIT DEAL WILL BE PASSED IN BRITISH PARLIAMENT THE EUROPEAN COUNCIL WILL TURN DOWN HER EXTENSION REQUEST

And earlier the French government spokesman, Benjamin Griveaux, said:

France’s position is simple: the British prime minister must explain to us for how long and what for, and offer us guarantees.

A delay is therefore not automatic nor certain.

(A more strong message line out of article , and more are popping up ..from France … ) :shock1:

Our position is to send a simple and clear message to the British.

He said there were only two ways to leave the EU – ratify the withdrawal agreement or a no-deal exit.

He said if the withdrawal agreement wasn’t ratified by parliament, “the central scenario is a no-deal exit. We’re ready”. :1zgarz5:

4 hours ago, Spidey said:

You can't please all of the people all of the time. At least they will please the 48% of the population who voted remain plus all those who now realise what a bad idea that was.

Which would serve the purpose of disproving the theory that all those you mention are brainless.

Now this may come as a surprise to you. But I do not know of one person who voted leave that has changed their mind.

But I do know of remainers, who in the event of another referendum, would now vote to leave.

This is down to two reasons-

1/ They are now better informed how the E.U operates, and how they see what the E.U intends to do going forward.

2/ They consider that democracy must prevail. And to not implement the wishes of the electorate, is a betrayal of democracy.

2 hours ago, evadgib said:

@tebee & anyone else claiming "We're Doomed"

We were told pre the referendum, that in the event of a leave victory, that the economy would collapse. As it turns out, this warning was completely wrong.

And we have remainers on Thai Visa,saying daily that the international auto makers are abandoning the sinking U.K.

Now we have a major auto maker saying they are going to invest in the U.K.

In addition the government announced yesterday that the U.K. employment rate is lower than at any time since 1975.

Why am I confused?

27 minutes ago, Thairealist said:

We were told pre the referendum, that in the event of a leave victory, that the economy would collapse. As it turns out, this warning was completely wrong.

And we have remainers on Thai Visa,saying daily that the international auto makers are abandoning the sinking U.K.

Now we have a major auto maker saying they are going to invest in the U.K.

In addition the government announced yesterday that the U.K. employment rate is lower than at any time since 1975.

Why am I confused?

seems they know brexit isnt happening,not easy to work out.

9 hours ago, bomber said:

seems they know brexit isnt happening,not easy to work out.

If its not happening why isnt the pound way up? it will happen ,you know it ,i know it ,everyone knows it ,no matter what you want ,its just a matter of how it happens .

2 minutes ago, bert bloggs said:

If its not happening why isnt the pound way up? it will happen ,you know it ,i know it ,everyone knows it ,no matter what you want ,its just a matter of how it happens .

The £ is recovering slightly. Brexit isn't the only factor in keeping the £ low. However, if Brexit is formally abandoned, you will see a substantial rise in the £ but don't expect for it to return to 50 baht+/£ any time soon.

5 hours ago, bert bloggs said:

It would seem that some ex-pats living in Thailand, think Brexit is all about the £ exchange rate. Well i’ve got news for you, for the vast majority of Brits living in the U.K it’s way down the list. They simple want to be free of the shackles of the Brussels Bureaucrats. 

Unfortunately their Democratic decision is being simple ignored by those in Parliament.

514868F0-389B-4FDD-9C10-C528C913019D.jpeg

1 hour ago, melvinmelvin said:

What does TM envisage will take place in UK during those 3 months, if granted?

Both she and the EU expect the current deal to be put back before parliament and passed. As the Speaker has said "No way" and it's already been heavily defeated twice, I've no idea what they're playing at. I suspect, neither do they. Someone should tell all parties concerned that when you are in a hole it's a good idea to stop digging.

31 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Both she and the EU expect the current deal to be put back before parliament and passed. As the Speaker has said "No way" and it's already been heavily defeated twice, I've no idea what they're playing at. I suspect, neither do they. Someone should tell all parties concerned that when you are in a hole it's a good idea to stop digging.

right

and why does TM find it necessary to go a little bit beyond the MEP elections?

1 hour ago, nontabury said:

It would seem that some ex-pats living in Thailand, think Brexit is all about the £ exchange rate. Well i’ve got news for you, for the vast majority of Brits living in the U.K it’s way down the list. They simple want to be free of the shackles of the Brussels Bureaucrats. 

Unfortunately their Democratic decision is being simple ignored by those in Parliament.

514868F0-389B-4FDD-9C10-C528C913019D.jpeg

You keep bringing up the ‘shackles of the Brussels Bureaucrats’. Carry on, and you might even start to believe it! 

1 hour ago, damascase said:

You keep bringing up the ‘shackles of the Brussels Bureaucrats’. Carry on, and you might even start to believe it! 

Just let know their size(s) please ...????

shackles2.jpg

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/mar/21/brexit-eu-rejects-theresa-may-request-delay-control

Brexit: EU poised to insist on withdrawal no later than 22 May

Theresa May has requested extension to 30 June but EU wants earlier deadline

The European Union is poised to take control of Britain’s exit by rejecting Theresa May’s request for a three-month delay and setting a new withdrawal date of no later than 22 May.

The prime minister is seeking an extension of the negotiating period to 30 June to allow the necessary legislation to be passed should she finally get MPs to back her deal next week.

But EU ambassadors at a meeting late on Wednesday night agreed that the risks of having the UK as a member state beyond 23 May, when European elections are due, were too high.

more...

“The 22nd of May has to be the limit,” one senior diplomat said. “The reason is that there has got to be a very clear message from the European council. Yes to a short extension on condition that the prime minister passes her deal through the Commons. But beyond that it is utterly complicated. It cannot be done without British MEPs having been elected.”

The European parliament’s Brexit coordinator, Guy Verhofstadt, told the Guardian: “There will be a problem with June. It is absolutely not in the interests of the European Union for it to beyond the date of the European elections.”

It would seem that a first step in withdrawal from The EU would be to negotiate the surrender of our right to elect EuroMPs; that might buy us some time to try and figure out what Brexit means, and give us a chance to see what it’s like outside the playground, looking in.  Perhaps we could have a “mandatory sixty-hour working week”, just for practice, as well.

It’s not so much about managing expectations as understanding consequences.

5 minutes ago, StreetCowboy said:

It would seem that a first step in withdrawal from The EU would be to negotiate the surrender of our right to elect EuroMPs; that might buy us some time to try and figure out what Brexit means, and give us a chance to see what it’s like outside the playground, looking in.  Perhaps we could have a “mandatory sixty-hour working week”, just for practice, as well.

It’s not so much about managing expectations as understanding consequences.

The U.K. need some time to figure out what Brexit means …??? Now only  ! :shock1: I think negotiations are over , a dozen times said already by E.U. ……, than you should realize now  what kicking the can endless up the street means ...and the result by it ...:post-4641-1156693976:

3 minutes ago, david555 said:

The U.K. need some time to figure out what Brexit means …??? Now only  ! :shock1: I think negotiations are over , a dozen times said already by E.U. ……, than you should realize now  what kicking the can endless up the street means ...and the result by it ...:post-4641-1156693976:

I reckon that for one reason or another some European countries won’t want UK to lemming over the cliff.  

In troubled times, chaotic change is not always helpful

Archived