May's Brexit deal in chaos as Speaker sparks 'constitutional crisis'

webfact

(It seems the E.U. go make the solution for the U.K. mess themselves..)

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/mar/19/eu-ministers-baffled-frustrated-brexit-chaos-bercow

Price of Brexit delay could be referendum or election, says Barnier

EU negotiator warns UK that prolonged extension may need to be linked to ‘new event’

Michel Barnier has suggested that the price of a long Brexit delay in the event of Theresa May’s deal being defeated again would be a soft Brexit or a “new event” such as a second referendum or general election.

Speaking two days before Thursday’s crunch leaders’ summit, the EU’s chief negotiator said the bloc’s heads of state and government would want to be convinced of the usefulness of extra time, given the costs involved.

The EU is seeking a detailed road map from the prime minister on how parliament will decide on one of those options should her deal be rejected again next week, and is pushing for a commitment by May that a decision would be made by MPs by mid-April.

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, nontabury said:

Very true, but that’s what happens when you ignore the Democratic decision of the people.

BD4F679B-28C3-474E-A3CC-B11E734281BC.jpeg

It seems fairly obvious.  The people should sit in the meeting rooms and sort it out.  What's so difficult about that?  With the internet, we could do it over a chat forum, with each response to the EU subject to a thirty-second poll.  We could bring democracy into the 21st century, and have government by Facebook Likes.

6 minutes ago, StreetCowboy said:

It seems fairly obvious.  The people should sit in the meeting rooms and sort it out.  What's so difficult about that?  With the internet, we could do it over a chat forum, with each response to the EU subject to a thirty-second poll.  We could bring democracy into the 21st century, and have government by Facebook Likes.

The Russians would love that. The St. Petersberg Troll Farm would be on unlimited overtime.

They've already made a mint out of the referendum run up.

Just now, Spidey said:

The Russians would love that. The St. Petersberg Troll Farm would be on unlimited overtime.

It would give old people and the unemployed something useful to do, and it would be great for the school holidays.  After a few beers it would probably be quite a laugh.

Brexiteers are planning to vote for UKIP, led by the redoubtable Tommy Islam.

If LAB did by some miracle manage to bring about a GE, they would all be in for a shock. Bigger than their shock of Leave winning the referendum. Lots of MPs from both sides of the house will be down the dole office. At almost 80k per year for an MP, there will be no shortage of alternate and independent parties to choose from. UKIP, Brexit Party and maybe some to the political right of centre will attract the votes of millions of disenfranchised voters. The new MPs will do a much better job without their party allegiances.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

10 hours ago, vogie said:

o your question, I have never mentioned Mays deal in any of our debate, but I would be happy to answer it. Mays deal is worse than useless, maybe it does want burying RIP. I am sure that most of the country would be more than happy to walk away at the end of March, everybody surely is getting brextipation, it needs finalising, not going on for another 2 years. I would certainly need councilling if I had another 24 months of your posts.

No. I mentioned it in the post you replied to. It was the main focus of my post.

So, if you don't like May's deal, I presume that you are happy with Bercow's decision to not allow any more votes on May's deal.

So, May's deal off the table, the EU refuses any more negotiations, what does that leave you with? A no deal Brexit, which has already been voted down and no sane person wants.

Nothing left on the table for Brexiteers, not looking good. The only thing that will save you from 2 more years of my posts, and I can understand that someone applying common sense to your fanciful ramblings would give you a headache, is to have a second referendum or revoke Article 50. Hobson's choice for Brexit ostriches. What is your preference?

6 minutes ago, Spidey said:

No. I mentioned it in the post you replied to. It was the main focus of my post.

So, if you don't like May's deal, I presume that you are happy with Bercow's decision to not allow any more votes on May's deal.

So, May's deal off the table, the EU refuses any more negotiations, what does that leave you with? A no deal Brexit, which has already been voted down and no sane person wants.

Nothing left on the table for Brexiteers, not looking good. The only thing that will save you from 2 more years of my posts, and I can understand that someone applying common sense to your fanciful ramblings would give you a headache, is to have a second referendum or revoke Article 50. Hobson's choice for Brexit ostriches. What is your preference?

Although the MP's voted not to have a no deal Brexit , I do believe that its the law that we have to leave next week .

So, the MP's will be over ruled 

1 minute ago, sanemax said:

Although the MP's voted not to have a no deal Brexit , I do believe that its the law that we have to leave next week .

So, the MP's will be over ruled 

Not if May get's her extension, which she will.

8 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Posts become "fanciful ramblings" only when you show your inability to answer the easist of questions. Referendums, advisory or legally binding. 

3 minutes ago, vogie said:

Posts become "fanciful ramblings" only when you show your inability to answer the easist of questions. Referendums, advisory or legally binding. 

I've answered that on numerous occasions including yesterday, referendums are advisory. It's the mantra of remainers (and now yours apparently). Welcome to the good ship "Sanity".

You are making things up. The 2016 referendum was a straight leave or remain. No questions about how leaving might look, deal or no deal. It advised parliament that a small majority who voted wanted to leave. That should have galvanized the government and parliament into exploring all the leave options, debating those options and then voting on the option that was in the country's best interests. And that includes revoking Article 50 if it became clear that all the leaving options weren't in the country's best interests. 

But as we've seen parliament, the government, the opposition are all to weak and self interested to have done this properly.

I agree, it was straight leave or remain, what is proposed by May's deal can in no way be interpreted as Leave . And the closest interpretation of Leave is a no deal Brexit
I personally did not vote, been here in Thailand for ten years, and believe it was and is a decision for those living ( or planning to return shortly) in the UK. Had I still been in UK I would have probably voted remain for my own personal,selfish reasons, (my work takes me around the globe,currently working in EU) but I come form a large majority leave area (Humberside) which can be argued has seen no benefit from EU membership and see that people's wishes are not been followed and indeed being deliberately thwarted.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

2 hours ago, beautifulthailand99 said:

Operation

Brexit is also like buying a car, being told by the car dealer you would get a nice Ferrari for the price of a Honda, then receiving a broken toy car, and when you ask for a refund, the dealer tells you: “you wanted a car, you got a car; car means car. And don’t tell me you didn’t know — your friend told you I’m a crook.”

2 minutes ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

Brexit is also like buying a car, being told by the car dealer you would get a nice Ferrari for the price of a Honda, then receiving a broken toy car, and when you ask for a refund, the dealer tells you: “you wanted a car, you got a car; car means car. And don’t tell me you didn’t know — your friend told you I’m a crook.”

There again, anybody that buys a car off Jean Paul Juncker deserves all they get.

2 hours ago, Spidey said:

Not if May get's her extension, which she will.

Sadly, I agree.

But to look on the bright side, this will prove that both brit. and eu politicians are determined that the uk will not leave.

You may think that those voting for leave in the electorate will be happy with this - but I'm not convinced!

3 hours ago, Spidey said:

"So, if you don't like May's deal, I presume that you are happy with Bercow's decision to not allow any more votes on May's deal."

Obviously I can't speak for Vogie - but personally yes, I am very happy with bercow's decision ????.  Both uk and eu politicians are left in a position where they will prove that they are only interested in BRINO or remain - certainly not leave!

4 hours ago, sidgy said:

I agree, it was straight leave or remain, what is proposed by May's deal can in no way be interpreted as Leave . And the closest interpretation of Leave is a no deal Brexit
I personally did not vote, been here in Thailand for ten years, and believe it was and is a decision for those living ( or planning to return shortly) in the UK. Had I still been in UK I would have probably voted remain for my own personal,selfish reasons, (my work takes me around the globe,currently working in EU) but I come form a large majority leave area (Humberside) which can be argued has seen no benefit from EU membership and see that people's wishes are not been followed and indeed being deliberately thwarted.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

So your interpretation of what leave ment is something that no one mentioned at the time ?

1 hour ago, dick dasterdly said:

Sadly, I agree.

But to look on the bright side, this will prove that both brit. and eu politicians are determined that the uk will not leave.

You may think that those voting for leave in the electorate will be happy with this - but I'm not convinced!

I'm not 100% sure she will get one.

The Eu is so fed up with the UK not knowing what it wants, trying to split the EU and insulting the EU and Europeans, that it's starting to thing that brexit is a contagion that might be best contained by isolating it. Brexit is wasting too much of  the EU's most precious resource, time.

They are much better prepared for no deal, and in a post no-deal brexit they do hold all the cards, whether the UK sinks into chaos  and shortages depends on how precisely they apply EU for third countries to us  

25 minutes ago, tebee said:

I'm not 100% sure she will get one.

The Eu is so fed up with the UK not knowing what it wants, trying to split the EU and insulting the EU and Europeans, that it's starting to thing that brexit is a contagion that might be best contained by isolating it. Brexit is wasting too much of  the EU's most precious resource, time.

They are much better prepared for no deal, and in a post no-deal brexit they do hold all the cards, whether the UK sinks into chaos  and shortages depends on how precisely they apply EU for third countries to us  

Let's all hope you're right ????.

But if I was a betting person, I'd bet money on the eu agreeing to an extension.....

46 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

Let's all hope you're right ????.

But if I was a betting person, I'd bet money on the eu agreeing to an extension.....

Be Careful what you wish for.

Has it ever occured to you just what power no deal gives the EU over the UK ?

It only has to enforce it's own and WTO regulations properly to paralyze the uk's infrastructure - for instance no one is prepared for the paperwork they will need to do import and export in a no deal situation. There will be loads of mistakes and uncertainty. Only if the EU is flexible will goods flow between us. 

Longer term it will bleed the UK dry of it's profitable service sector. Only UK businesses that solely support  UK clients will thrive. Say bye-bye to most manufacturing.

Worst thing is in will engrain the pro/anti EU split   in the UK. Pro-Eu people will blame the UK for these problems, anti-EU people blaming the EU.  

10 minutes ago, tebee said:

Be Careful what you wish for.

Has it ever occured to you just what power no deal gives the EU over the UK ?

It only has to enforce it's own and WTO regulations properly to paralyze the uk's infrastructure - for instance no one is prepared for the paperwork they will need to do import and export in a no deal situation. There will be loads of mistakes and uncertainty. Only if the EU is flexible will goods flow between us. 

Longer term it will bleed the UK dry of it's profitable service sector. Only UK businesses that solely support  UK clients will thrive. Say bye-bye to most manufacturing.

Worst thing is in will engrain the pro/anti EU split   in the UK. Pro-Eu people will blame the UK for these problems, anti-EU people blaming the EU.  

EU countries have too much to lose therefore the above is unlikely. Where for example will BMW offload the suddenly surplus left handed cars destined for UK?

9 minutes ago, evadgib said:

EU countries have too much to lose therefore the above is unlikely. Where for example will BMW offload the suddenly surplus left handed cars destined for UK?

Usual they need us more rubbish..

Archived