Stop Brexit: A million people sign UK petition to stay in EU

webfact

• Replies 954
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, Loiner said:

Not enough to get your petition numbers up.
You relied on the students double dipping in the referendum, now using Johnny Foreigner in your Losers petition.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Better stop wasting your time here when you could do better boosting the numbers of you petition (only 3.5 million behind).

36 minutes ago, AlexRich said:

You don't need to ... 

Thanks for the funny comment.  I'd be the first to agree that I waste far too much time on TV - but not other 'social media'.

Provide evidence as whilst I see all youngsters 'glued' to their 'phones, I see far less older people acting the same way.

I agree that a large number of older people are nearly as bad as youngsters.... - but not 'cos they're glued to fb and other social media.

12 minutes ago, tebee said:

Off on a march !

Some nuts in big lorries trying to prevent people getting to London by blocking motorways, all they are doing is alienating anyone left who may sympathize with the Brexiteers.

3 hours ago, AlexRich said:

Agreed ... and that's why ardent Brexiteers never want to go near another one. You can't fool the people all of the time. 

It's the fear of what that democratic act would tell them.

Low hanging fruit. It's easy for people to say in hindsight that they'd made a mistake or claim they hadn't thought it through or simply weren't aware of the ramifications of voting to Leave. By claiming a do-over or a Mulligan, they probably STILL haven't thought it through and STILL haven't fully weighed the pro's and con's to justify this farcical 'People's Vote'. What was the referendum BTW? The 'Dogs Vote'? Was it undemocratic?

The subsequent fustercluck has only made them more weary, not more knowledgeable and all they really want is the easy option of 'whatever it takes' to 'get it over with' ... but just make sure it doesn't screw up my currently easy life. Therefore it's a given that the great unwashed, both self-centered Baby Boomers and the self-entitled lower-order Millennials and upper-order iGens will vote to Remain.

No matter how far you can hurl the toys from the pram, you can't overturn an unfulfilled democratic act just because you are tired.

3 minutes ago, beautifulthailand99 said:

Thank God we took a leaf out of the Brexiteers book and got our troll farms up and running just in time for this petition. !!

You do know that when your petition gets to 90 million some people might begin to start question its authenticity.

8 minutes ago, beautifulthailand99 said:

Thank God we took a leaf out of the Brexiteers book and got our troll farms up and running just in time for this petition. !!

The petition will not change the outcome but when you include the numbers that will attend the march in London it might remind politicians that the UK population is not 17.4 million ... there is a growing number of voters who will never forgive them if they throw us all over a cliff ... we are heading for another vote if May’s deal is rejected again.

There have been 4 petitions that have over 1 million signatories.

Petitions with more than a million signatures

Petition Signatures Status Request Date Outcome
EU Referendum Rules triggering a 2nd EU Referendum (Petition 131215) 4,150,262 Closed We the undersigned call upon HM Government to implement a rule that if the remain or leave vote is less than 60% based a turnout less than 75% there should be another referendum. May - November 2016 Rejected after debate in parliament.[17] with the Government response "The European Union Referendum Act received Royal Assent in December 2015, receiving overwhelming support from Parliament. The Act did not set a threshold for the result or for minimum turnout."
Revoke Article 50 and remain in the EU (Petition 241584) 4,105,117

(as of 23 March 2019)

Ongoing The government repeatedly claims exiting the EU is 'the will of the people'. In fact only 37.5% of the electorate voted “Leave”. We need to put a stop to this claim by proving the strength of public support now, for remaining in the EU. A People's Vote may not happen - so vote now. 2019 [18]
Prevent Donald Trump from making a State Visit to the United Kingdom (Petition 171928) 1,863,708 Closed Donald Trump should be allowed to enter the UK in his capacity as head of the US Government, but he should not be invited to make an official State Visit because it would cause embarrassment to Her Majesty the Queen. 2017 Rejected after debate in parliament.[19] with Government response "HM Government believes the President of the United States should be extended the full courtesy of a State Visit. We look forward to welcoming President Trump once dates and arrangements are finalised."
Oppose plans to introduce road pricing 1,792,116 Closed We the undersigned petition the Prime Minister to Scrap the planned vehicle tracking and road pricing policy. 2007 Rebuffed by Prime Minister Tony Blair.[9][10]

SEI_57101502.jpg.4fe9f615ac0288cbc119181625edd43b.jpg

Is that the Brexit party annual gathering were they were out numbered by press photographers and Nigel made the "From mighty acorns little oak trees do grow"  speech?

Well at least he could easily stand them all a pint at the nearest Spoonies.

On ‎3‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 10:59 PM, vinny41 said:

without correct validation these petitions are meanless and pointless

Yes, it is possible for non British citizens to sign (BTW, 

On ‎3‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 10:42 PM, vinny41 said:

They (sic) should be a requirement to provide your national insurance number as part of any validation for any of these petitions

Anyone who has ever legally worked in the UK will have a NI number; regardless of their nationality.)

Yes, it is possible for non UK residents to sign.

Yes, it is possible for people to sign more than once; though they would need multiple email addresses to do so as an address can only be used once per petition.

I am no IT expert , far from it, but I suppose it is possible for someone to set up multiple bots with multiple email addresses to sign multiple times.

But none of these objections were raise by any Brexiteer here last year when they were bragging about the 100,000 plus signatures various pro Brexit petitions had received.

Unfortunately, though, these petitions, no matter the subject, are a sop to the public. Yes, it will be debated in parliament, but that's all. Only MPs can decide whether or not to do the right thing and as they, our elected representatives, can't decide ask the people via a STV referendum which option they prefer:

1. leave with the negotiated deal, whatever that turns out to be;
  2. leave with no deal;
  3. cancel Article 50 and remain.

Given the many irregularities, and even illegalities, discovered by the Electoral Commission's investigations into the Leave campaign there is a strong moral case for declaring the 2016 result void and rerunning it anyway. Unfortunately, I understand that as legally, despite what Cameron said, the result was only advisory then they have no legal power to do so.

Yes, I am aware that the Commission also found irregularities in the Remain campaign, but not as many and as far as I am aware, unlike some Leave campaigners, no Remain campaigner has been referred to the police or CPS.

6 minutes ago, Basil B said:

SEI_57101502.jpg.4fe9f615ac0288cbc119181625edd43b.jpg

Is that the Brexit party annual gathering were they were out numbered by press photographers and Nigel made the "From mighty acorns little oak trees do grow"  speech?

Well at least he could easily stand them all a pint at the nearest Spoonies.

It's not.

Just as Mussolini didn't march on Rome but went by train, Farage isn't marching on London; he went home on Saturday by car after waving them off from Sunderland.

Though he does turn up occasionally for a staged photo opportunity.

1 minute ago, 7by7 said:

I am no IT expert , far from it, but I suppose it is possible for someone to set up multiple bots with multiple email addresses to sign multiple times.

very difficult without using the same domain as they are verified and would need an automated responder to click the link on the verification email.

Also IP addresses will be recorded, I would assume domains with lots of users will be scrutinized, Ones like Gmail.com, BT.net,  Plus.net, etc, will be OK but say they get thousands ending say @hackers.ru will ring alarm bells. 

2 minutes ago, 7by7 said:

Copied from the petitions website at 12:00 UK time today:

Revoke Article 50 and remain in the EU.

4,167,129 signatures since 20th February 2019

Leave the EU without a deal in March 2019.

455,668 signatures since 17th November 2018.

To be honest the Brexiteers leave has been stuck on 455,668 for many hours now, maybe they are all on the march. 

1 hour ago, 7by7 said:

Unfortunately, though, these petitions, no matter the subject, are a sop to the public. Yes, it will be debated in parliament, but that's all. Only MPs can decide whether or not to do the right thing and as they, our elected representatives, can't decide ask the people via a STV referendum which option they prefer:

1. leave with the negotiated deal, whatever that turns out to be;
  2. leave with no deal;
  3. cancel Article 50 and remain.

Agree, but I think there may well be 4 or 5 options

and I think you meant AV rather STV, where the votes for the option with the lowest number votes are then added to there next preferred option until there is just two options left, very difficult to do if counts are held all over the country. 

If only 3 options another option would be a two stage vote For or Against the deal on the table, first for/against then if more against than onto stage two Leave with no deal or remain. 

4 minutes ago, Basil B said:

Agree, but I think there may well be 4 or 5 options

and I think you meant AV rather STV, where the votes for the option with the lowest number votes are then added to there next preferred option until there is just two options left, very difficult to do if counts are held all over the country. 

If only 3 options another option would be a two stage vote For or Against the deal on the table, first for/against then if more against than onto stage two Leave with no deal or remain. 

Logic would dictate 3 options, leave with no deal, remain or May's deal. However, an either or option is far simpler and as virtually no one favours a no deal exit, logic would dictate remain or May's deal.

Unfortunately, the only proposal being touted at the moment is May's deal Yes/No. Pure insanity as a "No" vote would just put us back to where we are now. Who's running this country? The people? No. May? No. Corbyn? No. I strongly suspect that the people who are really pulling the strings behind the scenes are Moggy's ERG/Bullingdon club who are playing a Machiavellian game with the aim of crashing the UK out of Europe with no deal.

40 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Logic would dictate 3 options, leave with no deal, remain or May's deal. However, an either or option is far simpler and as virtually no one favours a no deal exit, logic would dictate remain or May's deal.

Unfortunately, the only proposal being touted at the moment is May's deal Yes/No. Pure insanity as a "No" vote would just put us back to where we are now. Who's running this country? The people? No. May? No. Corbyn? No. I strongly suspect that the people who are really pulling the strings behind the scenes are Moggy's ERG/Bullingdon club who are playing a Machiavellian game with the aim of crashing the UK out of Europe with no deal.

I agree to a point but I do not think our small group of "Brexit Means Brexit" loonies should be disenfranchised.

Meant to add the following link to my previous post now a bit dated still a very informative read.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/dec/15/how-would-a-second-brexit-referendum-work

Brexit march: Hundreds of thousands join referendum protest

_106149373_hi053124865.jpg.cf09a70cf99c67f7c4930626ff89bcc0.jpg

Hundreds of thousands are marching through central London calling for another EU referendum, as MPs search for a way out of the Brexit impasse.

Demonstrators from the "Put It To The People" campaign are marching from Park Lane to Parliament Square, before rallying in front of Parliament.

It comes after the EU agreed to delay the UK's departure from the EU.

PM Theresa May has said she will ditch plans for another vote on her Brexit deal if not enough MPs support it.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-47678763

Archived