Forum upgrade in progress! ×

Stop Brexit: A million people sign UK petition to stay in EU

webfact

6 hours ago, Spidey said:

I'm sure that you are correct. If the original referendum had been lost to remain, you would have seen a far more vitriolic campaign by Brexiteers. 

Obviously not a very good school you went to. Politicians are here to discuss. The function of parliament is for your elected representatives to discuss an issue then vote accordingly in the best interests of the country. Mob rule by the proletariat doesn't come into it, which is why the referendum was purely advisory.

I also agree on this occasion, the HoC has ignored it's duty, 70% of MPs are pro remain, they know that it's in the best interest of the country but support Brexit for fear of losing their seats at the next election, an unfounded fear IMO. They have allowed mob rule to dictate the path vis-à-vis Brexit. Very undemocratic.

I can remember, many years ago, a groundswell of public opinion to bring back hanging, Newspaper campaigns, opinion polls etc. MPs, at that time, debated the issue, correctly ignored mob rule and kept capital punishment off the statute books. The correct use of democracy in the UK parliament.

"Obviously not a very good school you went to" - glad to read that from such competent sources like you. 

If you ask the voter for their opinion and you get a result (like here) then the politicians do EXECUTIVE and not LEGISLATIVE work. The politicians might discuss how best to turn a result into action. 

Everything else is taking the voters and tax payers for a big ride on the merry-go-round which is marked "European Union". 

But, as you said, your school must be better so you certainly can explain me, why a grown-up society is going through a
referendum of "purely advisory nature"?

The referendum was a promise by Cameron to get a second term in 10 ......... He half-heartedly kept the promise yet I never, until today, I heard of "purely advisory nature"! Please quote your source as this would be breaking news even for the big boys in the trade ???? 

• Replies 954
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Sydebolle said:

"Obviously not a very good school you went to" - glad to read that from such competent sources like you. 

If you ask the voter for their opinion and you get a result (like here) then the politicians do EXECUTIVE and not LEGISLATIVE work. The politicians might discuss how best to turn a result into action. 

Everything else is taking the voters and tax payers for a big ride on the merry-go-round which is marked "European Union". 

But, as you said, your school must be better so you certainly can explain me, why a grown-up society is going through a
referendum of "purely advisory nature"?

The referendum was a promise by Cameron to get a second term in 10 ......... He half-heartedly kept the promise yet I never, until today, I heard of "purely advisory nature"! Please quote your source as this would be breaking news even for the big boys in the trade ???? 

https://www.channel4.com/news/factcheck/the-culture-secretary-said-the-eu-referendum-was-binding-it-wasnt

One of many sources on the subject. A referendum is advisory not mandatory.

"If you ask the voter for their opinion and you get a result (like here) then the politicians do EXECUTIVE and not LEGISLATIVE work. The politicians might discuss how best to turn a result into action."

Absolutely not how the parliamentary system works in the UK.

Why did we go through a referendum? It sounds like you know already. Cameron feared losing too many votes to UKIP in the election which would have let Labour in through the back door. He called a referendum to steal UKIP's thunder, never dreaming that the British public would be stupid enough to vote leave. He was wrong, they really were that stupid!

And here we are today, up crap creek without a paddle.

As this thread is about the petition I thought I would just note that the petition is now almost three million and still rising.  Still doesn't mean anything in real terms but it is surprising how many people feel strongly enough to actually vote

14 minutes ago, dunroaming said:

As this thread is about the petition I thought I would just note that the petition is now almost three million and still rising.  Still doesn't mean anything in real terms but it is surprising how many people feel strongly enough to actually vote

Of which 1,261,367 signatures are from the UK

10 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

Oh dear. people actually feel for it.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1103817/brexit-petition-cancel-brexit-article-50-revoke-brexit-news-latest

So people claim remainers are the intelligent ones. You are having a laugh.

Did you Read your own Source?

So 25.000 the Express explain.

So who are the other 1.250.000?

This is stupid journalism.

However, the rest were signatories from around the world, including at least 10,500 from France, about 5,000 from Germany and almost 4,000 from the United States, recorded this morning. 

There were also 28 names from Russia, 71 from China, five from the Vatican, three from Cuba, and one apiece from North Korea and Mongolia.

1 hour ago, Laughing Gravy said:

https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1103817/brexit-petition-cancel-brexit-article-50-revoke-brexit-news-latest

I have already debunked this nonsense in a previous post. It's just Nigel being Nigel. Fake news.

1 hour ago, Laughing Gravy said:

How does the Express get access to the data? Surely this must breach data protection laws? Or maybe they, true to form, are lying to you?

1 minute ago, vinny41 said:

No its not the information is there on the petition page for anyone to see

Err.. yes it is. See my previous post replying to someone who posted a Nigel Farage tweet on the subject, earlier.

1 minute ago, Spidey said:

Err.. yes it is. See my previous post replying to someone who posted a Nigel Farage tweet on the subject, earlier.

No its not the current signatures stand at 3,100,779 or which 1,261,367 are GB based 

4 minutes ago, Spidey said:

How many expats are there around the world?

A U.K. Parliament Petition on Brexit allows foreigners not living there to sign it.

Cliff Piffy and Dingle Wigglesworth added their names to the list of nearly one million people who signed a late-night petition on the U.K. 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kenrapoza/2019/03/21/anti-brexit-petition-in-u-k-parliament-can-be-signed-by-anyone-anywhere/#5d471f0b6fa5

14 hours ago, Enoon said:

Speaking to you from the UK.

Just passed 2 million.

Revoke Article 50 and remain in the EU.

The government repeatedly claims exiting the EU is 'the will of the people'. We need to put a stop to this claim by proving the strength of public support now, for remaining in the EU. A People's Vote may not happen - so vote now.

2,002,343 signatures

That's another 1 million in just over 6 hours.

So just about another 15 million signatures to go then to exceed the number who voted to leave.

It WAS the will of the people in a legal referendum nearly three years ago and still is!   This is a petition and means bugger-all, even if every single voter in the UK signed it, it would not overrule the referendum vote.

1 minute ago, Just Weird said:

So just about another 15 million signatures to go then to exceed the number who voted to leave.

It WAS the will of the people in a legal referendum nearly three years ago and still is!   This is a petition and means bugger-all, even if every single voter in the UK signed it, it would not overrule the referendum vote.

Keep up Just Weird it was an advisory referendum and the matter is now in the hand of our sovereign national parliament to decide. You may lobby your MPs and choose whether to vote for them or others at the next election. 

Image result for thai election 2019

29 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

A U.K. Parliament Petition on Brexit allows foreigners not living there to sign it.

Cliff Piffy and Dingle Wigglesworth added their names to the list of nearly one million people who signed a late-night petition on the U.K. 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kenrapoza/2019/03/21/anti-brexit-petition-in-u-k-parliament-can-be-signed-by-anyone-anywhere/#5d471f0b6fa5

Thank goodness for that. I voted from Thailand as did others on this forum. We're probably part of Nutty Nigel's numbers of fake voters. Have you voted?

2 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Thank goodness for that. I voted from Thailand as did others on this forum. We're probably part of Nutty Nigel's numbers of fake voters. Have you voted?

I haven't voted as I see these petitions pointless and worthless without some form of additional verfication

you must be one of the 198 people that have voted from Thailand

2 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

I haven't voted as I see these petitions pointless and worthless without some form of additional verfication

you must be one of the 198 people that have voted from Thailand

More than one mate. 555

Archived