Moving to Thailand 2020

Hello there good folks of the expat community.  I am in need of your feedback, guidance & hopefully good advice from ya'll about shipping my stuff from America to Thailand.  Specifically, my personal car & few hard to find tools.  I heard, the Thai custom will tarrif tax me for the same value of my car.  Therefore,  it would not be a good option to bring anything.  Did anyone else had experience shipping their personal items into Thailand.  Should I forget about shipping anything to Thailand?   Thank you so much..

I would just buy a car here, and don't buy expensive, not worth it (everyone and his cousin will crash into you anyway). I went with a small hatchback, that way I can park it anywhere, and lower the seats to transport anything larger. I also made sure to buy the newest smartphone, and newest most powerful business laptop I could before I left. I also made sure to buy as much clothes as I needed to make it here, especially in the heat, the selection here is lacking, at least for me. Everything else I get in care packages from my brother in the US, never been taxed a penny, but sometimes get hit with a fee based on package weight (maybe 1 out of 30 packages - never more than 800 baht). The vehicles really are better bought here, I have a car, big bike, and scooter, all brand new and all together costs me about 1,000,000 baht.....not bad, and I'm happy. If I splurge on a vehicle next time, I might go with a Mazada CX-3 or CX-5, but really overkill, best bet would be a simple fuel efficient hatchback (Honda JAZZ RS or in my case a Toyota Yaris TRD). Tools I bought here, nothing big, simple decent 120 pc automotive handset from Blue-Point (plus misc tools), and my beloved Dremel tools!!!

Edited by ocddave
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, rabas said:

Well, they attempt to drive on the left, sometimes. But, yes your car would not work out well and learning to drive here on the wrong side, with a wrong sided car would be dangerous.

Are you coming to work, and do you have a work permit? Some time ago they had a rule that IF you are moving here to work, and have a work permit,  you could bring in one container duty free but work permit paperwork had to be approved prior to clearance from customs.  You can contact the Thai Embassy in the US for custom details.

Tools, it's easy to find a 230 to 120 volt transformer, I sill have some 120 volt items after 35 years here.

BTW, where's a good place to find a good 230 to 120 V transformer?  I could use one myself.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Kelsall said:

BTW, where's a good place to find a good 230 to 120 V transformer?  I could use one myself.

Depending on the electrical item to be transformed, then also be aware of the frequency difference between here and USA.

If it isn't dual frequency and involves a motor, then it will spin slower here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Kelsall said:

I bought mine long ago in an old electronics district not far from Chinatown but I would not look there now.

Google "Thailand 230 120 volt step down  transformer" shows several leads, I see 300 watt 1000 watt, and larger. Many come with a wonderful dead man's cord with male plugs on both ends.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Recently bought an iPhone 8 plus (Amazon refurbished). With customs, and shipping it is almost 20K. Brand new one sells for 28K in Pattaya. My GF does not know it's refurbished. She thinks it's a brand new. But she complained it does not have original box. I told her in America nobody can sell old model iPhone in original box.

Edited by onera1961
  • Thanks 1

Been here about 6 years altogether now. If I had to make that decision now I definitely, wouldn't come to Thailand. Being settled in I can survive, but just...

Please don't underestimate how dangerously xenophobic this place is. And yesterday's election was just a bit bit of tightening of the lid of the pressure cooker.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Waste of time and money bringing a car here. Go to Myanmar if you want to drive on the right-hand side.

Sell up everything, include converting property to cash. You don't want to be maintaining property in the US from Thailand. Leave 80% of your cash  and investments in the US. The worst mistake you can make is to bring all your assets to Thailand.

I have my brother maintaining my home in the US, so far so good, you just need someone you can trust, or a management service to handle your properties.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, KiChakayan said:

Been here about 6 years altogether now. If I had to make that decision now I definitely, wouldn't come to Thailand. Being settled in I can survive, but just...

Please don't underestimate how dangerously xenophobic this place is. And yesterday's election was just a bit bit of tightening of the lid of the pressure cooker.

The OP is a Thai national.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, KiChakayan said:

I would definitely rethink moving here also, especially under the current circumstances! Like you though, I am here for the duration.....so have to cope with whatever comes our way, at least until we can't anymore, then maybe move back....which is why I keep my house in the US.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, ocddave said:

I have my brother maintaining my home in the US, so far so good, you just need someone you can trust, or a management service to handle your properties.

In most communities, the city will fine you for not cutting your grass. You cannot ask post office to stop your junk mail forever. I asked my friend to visit my house once a month, at least, to check it out. He has to hire a guy (his son) every month to cut my grasses. I sold the house and bought a condo in Las Vegas. No more grass cutting or other maintenance problem.

Edited by onera1961
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, ocddave said:

which is why I keep my house in the US.

Keeping a place to stay in the US is kind of empowering for me with a "don't care" attitude with immigration. I will never buy a condo in Thailand. I am happy with my rental condo that I maintain for the whole year though I live only for 6-month in Thailand. I may buy a car in the future but I did not feel the need so far as Grab is working OK so far in Pattaya. I bought a motor cycle to run around. And that is my only possession in Thailand. I can leave everything behind if they ever deny me entry.

Edited by onera1961
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, ocddave said:

My brother lives in my home, so he better be mowing the lawn ???? Plus he handles all the mail, he scans anything important to a Server I setup at my house in the US, I just access it from here when I need to, I can also send back important documents to the server and print them on a Laser Printer at my home in the US for him to work with, if need be. Believe me, I covered all my bases before I left, thank God for Technology

If you find a family member to live, it is the best option. But many people may not have the same choice. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, onera1961 said:

Keeping a place to stay in the US is kind of empowering for me with a "don't care" attitude with immigration. I will never buy a condo in Thailand. I am happy with my rental condo that I maintain for the whole year though I live only for 6-month in Thailand. I may buy a car in the future but I did not feel the need so far as Grab is working OK so far in Pattaya. I bought a motor cycle to run around. And that is my only possession in Thailand. I can leave everything behind if they ever deny me entry.

Yes, keeping the house gives a connection back home, and makes it easier to move back. My wife would be the hardest to get back to the US (not super hard), as she is still Thai, our daughter is all set now, has her Certificate of Birth Abroad, SS Number, and a passport now. I leave everything we bought here in my wifes name only, the only thing I keep in my name now is the new bank account for immigration purposes (400-800K baht). She has a pretty good footprint here financially, so we have choices, though for now its best for the family to stay here.....so we are working on making things better here, hopefully we wont be heading back to the US. But I will keep the house in the US for the time being unless my brother decides to move elsewhere.

• Thanks 1

Don't bring your car. But maybe don't sell it right away either. You sound like you don't know Thailand very well (or you wouldn't ask the question), if that is the case you'd better not burn all bridges behind you. Try to live here 6 months first, then you may know better.

As for electrical tools, they already told you about the voltage, keep in mind that also the frequency is different (50 vs 60 Hz), so anything that depends on that, like e.g. a corded alarm clock, will not work.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1