No Motorcycle Taxi Stands On Footpaths From June

george

No motorcycle taxi stands on footpaths from June

BANGKOK: -- As parts of its revived efforts to regulate motorcycle taxis, Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) will stop allowing taxi stands to operate on footpaths from June.

The city administration also vowed to crack down on unregistered taxi motorcyclists and taxi motorcycle stands.

"We will strictly control the number of taxi motorcyclists and their stands," Deputy Bangkok City Clerk Ratthapol Meethanathavorn said Friday.

He was speaking after he chaired a meeting on how to eradicate illegal motorcycles. Representatives from the Metropolitan Police Bureau, the LandTransport Department and the BMA's Traffic and Transportation Department were also present.

According to him, anyone who wants to work as a taxi motorcyclist must submit an application at a local district office or a police station, has proper driving license, and undergo both crimerecord check and drug test.

"The district office's panel will review the application, but current taxi motorcyclists will also have their say," Ratthapol said.

-- The Nation 2007-03-02

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HMMMM....wonder who will benefit from the 'processing fee/drug test result stamp/license verification" process? I am sure those who don't QUITE meet all the qualifications will get a 'temporary approval' necessitating monthly returns for continued 'fees' until all requirements are met! :o

Why June, why not start enforcing this law now?

Maybe because then it will be low season, and a lot of moto-cy drivers will have gone back to the moo baan. Announcing it in advance also gives them a chance to think of something else to do... cut-grass, rummage through rubbish bins, sell brooms from a barrow, hand out "sexy lady" leaflets, etc, etc. :o

Maybe because then it will be low season, and a lot of moto-cy drivers will have gone back to the moo baan. Announcing it in advance also gives them a chance to think of something else to do... cut-grass, rummage through rubbish bins, sell brooms from a barrow, hand out "sexy lady" leaflets, etc, etc. :o

:D:D

Appreciate your post.

However I rather suspect over 99% of the customers of motorbike taxis are Thai nationals who don't have a low season, if you see what I mean.

This sounds like great news for the motorcycle riders. Presumably the government will be building suitable shelters for them off the pavement so they aren't exposed to the sun and rain day in, day out - somewhere they won't have to breath in exhaust fumes all day. And it will undoubtedly provide toilets for them, too.

These guys provide an essential service, yet currently have awful working conditions, and work for a pittance. I'm glad to see that the authorities are giving them their full support.

Take them off the foot paths and put them on the streets. That will be nice for the cars, taxis and buses.

Are they going to do away with them all together? Two or three km walk down the sois isn't going to be nice in the summer months with shirt and tie. Guess one could call a taxi instead of the motor bike but I wonder how long that would last.

Frankly speaking, the motorbike taxis do a ###### good job for most. Just a little inconvenience at the end of each soi isn't too much to ask as long as they are polite and keep off the foot paths when on the move.

Actually, the right term is "sidewalk" (US English) or "pavement" (British English). A footpath is what goes through a park, a garden, a campus, and so on.

Okay, okay, yes, "footpath" is Thaiglish for the above, we are in Thailand, etc, etc. Yet the last thing a Thai "footpath" is for is feet.

And if all the motorcycle taxis get cleared off them, I'll eat my shoes, all of them.

file under ,

believe when see ............................

haha yes Lets see how long this will last...But do you remember when they all had to start wearing id jackets, they managed to enforce that.

Take them off the foot paths and put them on the streets. That will be nice for the cars, taxis and buses.

Are they going to do away with them all together? Two or three km walk down the sois isn't going to be nice in the summer months with shirt and tie. Guess one could call a taxi instead of the motor bike but I wonder how long that would last.

Frankly speaking, the motorbike taxis do a ###### good job for most. Just a little inconvenience at the end of each soi isn't too much to ask as long as they are polite and keep off the foot paths when on the move.

yes well said

dont recall every seeing a farang tourist on the back of a biketaxi - Especially in BKk - so dont see low season happening - as OP said these guys provide a great service and I for one use them on a regular basis as it saves me driving my car to places I cant park in my neighbourhood - and yes cheap -- and they are always so helpful and willing to help out if they can = i am happy to tip where necessary - even the other farang living here in my building use them everyday -teachers of course -- going to the BTS etc -- so i hope to see their working conditions get better if that is possible -- they do endure all sorts of lousy weather - long days - and survival income - but I will wait to see how long they take to enforce these new rules and how long they will be enforced for --

No motorcycle taxi stands on footpaths from June

BANGKOK: -- As parts of its revived efforts to regulate motorcycle taxis, Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) will stop allowing taxi stands to operate on footpaths from June.

The city administration also vowed to crack down on unregistered taxi motorcyclists and taxi motorcycle stands.

"We will strictly control the number of taxi motorcyclists and their stands," Deputy Bangkok City Clerk Ratthapol Meethanathavorn said Friday.

He was speaking after he chaired a meeting on how to eradicate illegal motorcycles. Representatives from the Metropolitan Police Bureau, the LandTransport Department and the BMA's Traffic and Transportation Department were also present.

According to him, anyone who wants to work as a taxi motorcyclist must submit an application at a local district office or a police station, has proper driving license, and undergo both crimerecord check and drug test.

"The district office's panel will review the application, but current taxi motorcyclists will also have their say," Ratthapol said.

-- The Nation 2007-03-02

I am so glad to see the Thai Government (and I use that term loosely) tackling the really tough problems...now if they can shut down chewing gum while on a motorcycle that would really be something!!

Actually, the right term is "sidewalk" (US English) or "pavement" (British English). A footpath is what goes through a park, a garden, a campus, and so on.

Okay, okay, yes, "footpath" is Thaiglish for the above, we are in Thailand, etc, etc. Yet the last thing a Thai "footpath" is for is feet.

And if all the motorcycle taxis get cleared off them, I'll eat my shoes, all of them.

Nonesesne, Australians usually call them footpaths. Although sidewalk and pavement would be just as easily understood.

Nothing will change.

It is supposed to be illegal to ride motorbikes on the pavement that has been a growing problem over the last couple of years but the authorities do nothing, especially against the really inconsiderate riders who think the pavement belongs to them.

[quote name='RHCP' date='2007-03-02 20:47:05' post='11741

It is supposed to be illegal to ride motorbikes on the pavement

Actually, last time I read the Thai "Highway Code" it's legal to ride motorcycles on the pavement, as long as the road is congested.

dont recall every seeing a farang tourist on the back of a biketaxi - Especially in BKk - so dont see low season happening - as OP said these guys provide a great service and I for one use them on a regular basis as it saves me driving my car to places I cant park in my neighbourhood - and yes cheap -- and they are always so helpful and willing to help out if they can = i am happy to tip where necessary - even the other farang living here in my building use them everyday -teachers of course -- going to the BTS etc -- so i hope to see their working conditions get better if that is possible -- they do endure all sorts of lousy weather - long days - and survival income - but I will wait to see how long they take to enforce these new rules and how long they will be enforced for --

Yes, you're quite right of course. And I use them a lot when in Bkk, especially if I stay at my favourite hotel a long way down Suk soi 4. At the more "touristy" beach resorts though, I'm sure a lot of the moto-cy drivers and tuk-tuk drivers go home during the low season, or change jobs.

Ok reality check here. Good idea? YES, but it says no stands, still a path to drive on?

Soi Cowboy was to be like Walking Street blocked to traffic after 8 pm, well guess what.

So if they can’t have their stands on the walkways, where will they be? Precious little space in some places mostly where they are on the walkways.

Step 1 Make the announcement. :Status: DONE

Step 2 Logistics. :Status: NOT STARTED

Step 3 Fade to music.

Edited by John K

Actually, last time I read the Thai "Highway Code" it's legal to ride motorcycles on the pavement, as long as the road is congested.

Haha. Not sure if that's a joke, but it would not surprise me at all :o

Is there really such a thing as the Thai "Highway Code" ? Is there an english language version ?

Is it legal to ride a motorcycle in the wrong direction down a main road ? I'm very curious.

Edited by sonicdragon

Haha. Not sure if that's a joke, but it would not surprise me at all :o

Is there really such a thing as the Thai "Highway Code" ? Is there an english language version ?

Is it legal to ride a motorcycle in the wrong direction down a main road ? I'm very curious.

It's not a joke - but it's only in Thai (though people doing a driving test do get a brief glance at an English translation).

It's not legal to ride a motorcycle in the wrong direction.

And I'm sure you're very curious, too.