Home Network Set-up

bonsaimax

I plan to set up a home network between a desktop PC and a centrino notebook. I understand that for this, I would be needing a network adaptor (how much?). Will I be needing any more hardware aside from this? Any advice especially on the installation and cost would be most welcome.

thanks,

Bonzi

Hi Bonzaimax,

You would only need a network card for your desktop (d-link, surecom,... less then 300 Baht in Panthip) and a crossover cable to connect the two PC's.

The easy way to get a small network going is to enable internet sharing on the PC with the internet access. This will enable a DHCP server and this will assign the correct IP adresses, gateway and DNS to the connected PC...No manual configuring of network settings should be required...

If you get to this point, post again in this thread if you need some assistance (like in sharing files, Hard disks, printers etc...)

Monty

Bonzai,

Since you talk about a centrino laptop you could also go the wireless way since it should have wifi built in! More expensive in hardware, but no cables, no drilling of holes to other rooms etc...

Monty

Presumably, since you mention Centrino, you mean a wireless network.

For connecting two PCs, you can network two standalone Wi-Fi adaptors, but it is a bit more faffing about than getting an access point. (i.e. getting the two PCs to talk to each needs both to be setup to connect to the other PC, where they will automatically go searching for access points).

If you enjoy twiddling around with network settings, this will be fine and is the cheapest way to set up a wireless connection. Downside is you will need an access point if you want to add a 3rd wireless PC.

Setting up an access point is generally simpler, although if you want to make your connection a little more secure you should change the default SSID, and turn on WEP, and not broadcast your SSID except when adding a new PC to the network. (WPA is better than WEP if the access point supports it, and all your PCs support it too (i.e. XP - not 98/Me/NT etc)).

You'll be looking for an 802.11b (or b/g) adapter for the other PC. (Centrino has 802.11b built-in). Sorry, but not too sure of the prices for b only, except that they're a lot cheaper since I use 802.11g myself, and I have probably the most expensive adapter - 802.11g Netgear USB adaptor - 3,500 baht.

If you have ADSL - and are really just interested in sharing your internet connection, you might be better off with either an access point to attach to an ADSL modem/router (if you already have one), or a combined access point / router / ADSL modem. - 6,500/7.000 baht for an 802.11g one. - I KNOW 802.11b ones are cheaper. The advantage being that the Centrino would have access to the internet even when the other PC is off.

If you want to do things like using a webcam for talking to relatives abroad - get uPnP. Saves setting up DMZs, etc. (and I can recommend eyeball chat - far more reliable to connect with than messenger on the audio side through a router, although it's support of cameras isn't as complete).

thanks monty, mike !

yright! I was thinking of having a wireless connection between the desktop and laptop. I don't have a DSL connection yet, as the need is not that urgent. I'm looking at being able to access to my files on the desktop wirelessly from the laptop, rather than having to copy them.

My internet needs are mainly for emails and chatting with friends and family in the states. Do you think going wireless is a viable option? I was told that prices for wireless network adaptors are between 3,000-4,000 baht. is this estimate accurate? What kind of speed are we looking at when accessing files wirelessly? thanks again!

cheers!

Bonzi

I was in panthip on web checking out some of the USB 802.11b dongles after reading this article

http://www.usbwifi.orcon.net.nz/

one of the shops had a website with prices on it

www.phantip.com

your centrino laptop might have a built in network adaptor as well as your wifi link, same with the motherboard on your desktop PC, and in that case you just need a crossover network cable... I purchased a 3com 10/100 the other week for a desktop and the prices range from 250-270 baht.

if you require help with the network setup please post the operating systems on the computers.

:o

Hi Bonzai,

Since centrino laptops only carry 802.11b wireless, your speed will be capped at 11 Mbps regardless of whatever accesspoint U use (b or g).

Since you won't have any advantage on 802.11g (which runs at max 54Mbps) your best bet would be to buy a 802.11b accesspoint. They came down a lot in price lately, you can have a D-link DWL900+ for around 3000 Baht. You'll still need a network connection on your PC to hook up your accesspoint (see posts above).

You'll transfer files at around 6Mbps at best, the 11Mbps is a theoretical maximium which never is reached! Perfect for music, but not quite fast enough for accessing high quality(DVD) video.

Stu,

thanks for the link, but I'm afraid that most of the jargon used was beyond my comprehension. the chinese cookware made very good sense though, albeit not aesthetically pleasing.

Monty,

I assume that the "D-link DWL900" is a brand or model of an adapter. I'll be shopping for one hopefully this weekend. ?Are there any other alternatives that we may select from? --- just in case...

Thanks for all your valuable info.

Bonzi :o

Only have experience with wireless sytems from Lynksys and D-link.

I seem to prefer the d-link hardware, easier to set-up etc...

Two models I can recommend (from d-link) :

dwl 900ap+

no link since d-link discontinued this product, a lot sold though, was probably the first affordable quality accesspoint on the market!

802.11b access point, easy to use, cheap at less then 3000 Baht.

dwl g700 ap

http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=326

802.11g access point, more expensive but better in the long run when the g speeds(54Mbps) become standard. Also much better security with WPA built in!

Above only from my experiences, am sure there are a lot of other good products on the market!!!