Woman driver lives after going through wall on 8th floor of condo car park

webfact

Woman driver lives after going through wall on 8th floor of condo car park

3pm.jpg

Picture: Daily News

A 40 year old woman driving a Mazda 2 was taken unconscious to hospital after she drove off the eighth floor of a condominium car park in the Rama 3 area of Bangkok late last night.

The incident happened at the Rama 3 Residence building A at 11 pm last night.

The Mazda crushed four bikes on the ground but no one else was hurt. 

3pm1.jpg

Picture: Daily News

Rescuers at the scene noted that wearing a seat belt and the deployment of the steering wheel airbag seemed to have saved the woman's life. 

Pictures showed a smashed wall on the eighth floor.

The driver was named as Runthip Thongjanrit, 40, who was taken to Charoen Krung Pracharat Hospital.

Police are not sure exactly what happened though it is believed that the driver was reversing at the time. 

Source: Daily News

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-03-26

From a bigger picture in the original article it does NOT look like she reversed from a parking bay.

The wall is broken on the end of a driveway with a yellow turn right arrow on the ground.

Complete blackout? Running straight into the wall?

Drugs, alcohol, medical problem?

news_RTPKsDmjoS052332_533.jpg?v=20190326

Or reversing and turning?

7 hours ago, Crossy said:

Pretty good commercial for the Mazda 2.

My thoughts exactly, lucky she was not in a Thai built pick-up that does not need to undergo and conform to Euro NCAP  crash testing standards. However the wall she crashed through must be to a Thai standard

Hell of a trip; eight floors. Speaks for Mazda, not so for the parking, its builders and certainly not for its driver - unless the brake failed. 
So far I always thought that only foreigners fall of higher floors, without the comfort of a safety belt and airbag though .......... 

The barrier compensating for the hole in the wall speaks for itself too - welcome to Thailand! 

I do not know how fast she was going but if you ask me that barrier was really not allowed to break. Guess a single wall of 10-15CM thick max as usual?
There should have been steel in those barriers at least, certainly at that height. 

One wonders how hard you have to hit the pillars to make everything come down. Or a bit more serious earthquake.. Doubt most buildings survive.

14 hours ago, Tonyt00 said:

Also construction of these parking garages seem to be too complicated for Thai engineers!  

It's not the engineers it's the builders cutting corners and shoddy workmanship.  One of these days a few will just fall down like in China.

10 hours ago, geoffbezoz said:

My thoughts exactly, lucky she was not in a Thai built pick-up that does not need to undergo and conform to Euro NCAP  crash testing standards. However the wall she crashed through must be to a Thai standard

Which Thai built pick ups would these be?

22 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

From a bigger picture in the original article it does NOT look like she reversed from a parking bay.

The wall is broken on the end of a driveway with a yellow turn right arrow on the ground.

Complete blackout? Running straight into the wall?

Drugs, alcohol, medical problem?

news_RTPKsDmjoS052332_533.jpg?v=20190326

No wonder the wall broke apart like thin paper made in China :cheesy:

Archived